The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Re: The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Post by LoisCHenderson »

juliusotinyo wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 00:58 Thanks, my comments have been referred to as such in this forum. I guess 'correctness' has its place but in some subjects it contradicts objective discussions.
You speak like a true intellectual (but without academic stuffiness)!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Well, the only experience I have with body functions in entertainment was in the horrible movie “Dream Catcher”. It was pretty amusing, but stupid as well so I can’t say I’m much of a fan of that type of content.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

Momiji1987 wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 22:20 Well, the only experience I have with body functions in entertainment was in the horrible movie “Dream Catcher”. It was pretty amusing, but stupid as well so I can’t say I’m much of a fan of that type of content.
There's a great review of this movie on IMDb - have you checked it out yet? BTW, wherever Stephen King is involved does tend to be rather zany!
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:49 What effect do descriptions of bodily functions in novels have on you? Which books have you encountered with such descriptions, and would you encourage others to read the novels concerned, or would you be too embarrassed to?
It may sound weird, but I appreciate when books and movies deal with real instances such as this and bodily functions. It makes it more realistic for me. I mean, I know it seems like a minor thing, but it does add a realistic touch to it.

One of the things that I appreciate about the Outlander books is the realism of what it is like to not shower and have to sleep in a jail room full of men who smell and the way that Gabaldon always talks about bodily functions: peeing in an outhouse, for example.
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:49 I had to laugh at Sophie's detailed description of a woman trying to pee with waders on, as I often get caught in a similar position outdoors when taking my dog, Splay, for a walk first thing in the morning. What effect do descriptions of bodily functions in novels have on you? Which books have you encountered with such descriptions, and would you encourage others to read the novels concerned, or would you be too embarrassed to :oops: ?
Fun topic! What did you think about the 'socrifice' in the book? ~Michelle Cummings
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I definitely think that describing bodily functions can add humor or a sense or reality to a book or TV series, depending on the author's intent. I think pacing is super important, though. Like if I'm watching an action movie and there's intense music and the main character is running around making preparations for some big deed then I'm going to get worked up anticipating what will happen next, but if he suddenly stops all that to take a bathroom break and make potty jokes then all the anticipation goes down the toilet...literally.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

Christina O Phillips wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 10:28
LoisCHenderson wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:49 What effect do descriptions of bodily functions in novels have on you? Which books have you encountered with such descriptions, and would you encourage others to read the novels concerned, or would you be too embarrassed to?
It may sound weird, but I appreciate when books and movies deal with real instances such as this and bodily functions. It makes it more realistic for me. I mean, I know it seems like a minor thing, but it does add a realistic touch to it.

One of the things that I appreciate about the Outlander books is the realism of what it is like to not shower and have to sleep in a jail room full of men who smell and the way that Gabaldon always talks about bodily functions: peeing in an outhouse, for example.
Such graphic realism is ennobling if the individuals involved can rise above their physical limitations to reach a level of self-awareness to which not many are able to rise. That is why the few ascend to the stars, while the rest of us remain grovelling in the dust. In a wider context, one could think of the instance of the lepers in Lew Wallace's Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (although Christianity was the saving grace under those terrible conditions).
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Oceanside »

I think when authors go into that kind of detail it makes the book more tangible and relatable. A lot of times I feel that small details like that make a book better. For example, when there is a love story about a couple, you rarely get the details about the awkwardness of passing gas when you're in a new relationship. Everything is portrayed as great and wonderful. But people in the real world have to think about those kinds of things. Obviously the writers omit these things on purpose or else it would throw off the tone of the book. I enjoy reading books with this type of detail but maybe that's just my own taste.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

Oceanside wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 00:56 I think when authors go into that kind of detail it makes the book more tangible and relatable. A lot of times I feel that small details like that make a book better. For example, when there is a love story about a couple, you rarely get the details about the awkwardness of passing gas when you're in a new relationship. Everything is portrayed as great and wonderful. But people in the real world have to think about those kinds of things. Obviously the writers omit these things on purpose or else it would throw off the tone of the book. I enjoy reading books with this type of detail but maybe that's just my own taste.
That is a true test of friendship - whether one can pass gas comfortably in the presence of one's partner. I think this would be a cool intro for a talk to teenagers about abstaining until the time is right: only go to bed with someone when you're comfortable about letting off wind in their presence. Maybe it should be included in one's wedding vows, too - forbearance of the physicality of the other person at all times!
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

katiesquilts wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 18:35 I definitely think that describing bodily functions can add humor or a sense or reality to a book or TV series, depending on the author's intent. I think pacing is super important, though. Like if I'm watching an action movie and there's intense music and the main character is running around making preparations for some big deed then I'm going to get worked up anticipating what will happen next, but if he suddenly stops all that to take a bathroom break and make potty jokes then all the anticipation goes down the toilet...literally.
Quite so - totally flushed away! LOL!!
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

michmc3 wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 15:17
LoisCHenderson wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:49 I had to laugh at Sophie's detailed description of a woman trying to pee with waders on, as I often get caught in a similar position outdoors when taking my dog, Splay, for a walk first thing in the morning. What effect do descriptions of bodily functions in novels have on you? Which books have you encountered with such descriptions, and would you encourage others to read the novels concerned, or would you be too embarrassed to :oops: ?
Fun topic! What did you think about the 'socrifice' in the book? ~Michelle Cummings
Why don't you tell us what you think about it first?
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 20:36 Many of the books that I read involve larger issues than bodily function, like running from a corrupt government or coping with the apocalypse. Because there are so many other issues, the author rarely has time to comment on things that we normal people take for granted, like finding time to go to the bathroom. :lol:

While I think it would be an effective way to create a sense of realism, I think it would be hard to incorporate it in a way that isn't distracting or weird. Or to make sure it doesn't change the tone of the writing.
Completely agree! While these scenes could be a funny/interesting add, I think if they are included they have to add to the story as it did in The Reel Sisters.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

The most common bodily functions that I have read about it books are menstruation, flatulence, and erections. :lol: I does not both me when bodily functions are mentioned in literature, as it is real life. It does bother me when it is mentioned repeatedly, as if the author only knows this kind of humor. I think in this story, it is humorous, and a situation that I, too, have found myself in. It made me laugh out loud.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

JuliaKay wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 16:30 The most common bodily functions that I have read about it books are menstruation, flatulence, and erections. :lol: I does not both me when bodily functions are mentioned in literature, as it is real life. It does bother me when it is mentioned repeatedly, as if the author only knows this kind of humor. I think in this story, it is humorous, and a situation that I, too, have found myself in. It made me laugh out loud.
High five on that one!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Unfortunately I have a tendency to shy away from books that get too descriptive in talking about bodily functions. I get easily nauseous when I read about them, which is ironic since I work as a Home Care worker.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”