The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Re: The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Post by Oceanside »

becsimpson wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 15:57 EXACTLY! I've wondered this so often, when watching movies, TV shows and reading books. Especially post-apocalyptic stuff. I legitimately want to see people dealing with real issues like women being on their periods and not having anything to assist with it, because that is reality. I know it's really only a small point in terms of the overall plot so that's probably why it's not brought up often, but it would make everything so much more realistic and relatable if it was.
BriennaiJ wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:00 I have to say that I have not read any books recently that really describe bodily functions. However, I think that they would be an interesting addition to some novels. Especially fantasy novels. I think I would laugh seeing a person having to deal with having to pee during the apocalypse, or having an upset stomach or even the flu while they were traveling on a long-term adventure.
I always wonder what women would do about their periods during the apocalypse too! I want someone to write about it or put it in a movie so we know what to do in the event of the apocalypse. You definitely bring up a good point.
SkyeDragon
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyedragon.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by SkyeDragon »

I think it is ok to include bodily functions in a book as long as it is done tactfully. If the story's plot is served by having some description of body functions then it should be used. This is a natural function for all people. However, if there is no purpose served then it would be best to leave out.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

For me it depends entirely on how much it relates to the story. For example in the film Demolition Man, one of the best scenes is where Sly Stallone's character goes to the loo and in place of toilet paper are three sea shells, he's mocked for not knowing how to use the sea shells and instead uses the paper fines for bad language as paper. It's funny and it links in with his being in the future and just how much things have changed.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Oceanside »

Zain A Blade wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 09:10 I've read many books that describe bodily functions in detail, though I can't readily remember the title of the books right now. It's never really bothered me, because it depends on the author's narrative style and the plot's setting and theme. If bodily functions were to be described in Victorian novels like Pride and Prejudice or historical romances like The Duke & I, well... now that would seem very off.
I think you are very correct in saying it depends on the author's style and the theme of the book. I've also read many books that go into vivid detail and I've usually enjoyed it because it either adds humor or adds inconvenience to a certain situation.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:49 I had to laugh at Sophie's detailed description of a woman trying to pee with waders on, as I often get caught in a similar position outdoors when taking my dog, Splay, for a walk first thing in the morning. What effect do descriptions of bodily functions in novels have on you? Which books have you encountered with such descriptions, and would you encourage others to read the novels concerned, or would you be too embarrassed to :oops: ?
It doesn't bother me when they're using a simile to the actual thing. In C/M/T/H there are so many graphic scenes involving bodily functions that without them, it would throw off the plot of the story.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

If they are necessary to the book and add needed information or is part of what happens during the topic of the book then I don't mind it. If it feels like they are just writing it in the book just to be writing about it, that gets a little annoying.
cianarae
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cianarae.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by cianarae »

That's funny! I can't think of any books that describe bodily functions so intensely that I would be embarrassed to share them! I do think that the role they play, creating a humorous situation or perhaps normalizing them, can be useful to make people less embarrassed about them!

Thanks for sharing!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Have not also seen such but this is funny indeed.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

I have read a lot of memoirs about eating disorders so I think the discussion of bodily functions in literature is a lot more important than we give it credit for. One that I can recall off the top of my head was called Thin. It's a bit different from the way functions are described in this book, but it was definitely interesting to read both extremes. Especially in nonfiction books like memoir, I found myself shocked with all of the tiny things I overlook everyday in regards to the things I do with my body.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I'm not so sure how I feel about this. Half of my brain would say that there is no real use for it to be included but the other half would argue that it is quite natural, why do we almost never see/read any character do it? :eusa-think:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I think the description of bodily functions in books would be interesting - and would definitely lend the character/book an air of authenticity, making the characters more relatable.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

This topic reminds me of a scene in one of the books in the series ”A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R.R.Martin, where Tyrion Lannister shoots his father who was taking a dump in the privy with a crossbow. It was kind of disgusting really.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I think because of the general lack of descriptions of such, when they are included they can be quite comical. Alternatively, I definitely think it's possible to use them to create a particularly vulnerable moment for a character. Definitely wouldn't put me off anyway!
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

I thoroughly enjoy reading explicit or taboo topics such as sex, violence, and yes, even bodily function! I think it adds to the relatableness and depth of the story. Exploring anything (even the more touchy subjects) through reading still cultivates learning.
Sammi Arch
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

When done tactfully, there are places for bodily functions---especially since they really do happen. Some events can be extremely funny.
SEG

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”