The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Re: The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Post by LyorBoone »

Bodily functions can make the story more enjoyable if done right. For a survival novel, I imagine the first experience of relieving one’s self in a new environment would definitely fit for character develop similar to Veronica’s “socrofice” story. Other times it can just simply be a humorous way to show a character trait. I still have the movie scene in my head where Batman takes out a guy in a bathroom while a dude is standing over the toilet, emptying his bladder. It seems like a low blow, even for a criminal, but it fit the looking for perfect moment to strike aspect of Batman. As long as it enhances the story, why be ashamed of such a moment’s inclusion in a story?
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

As a woman who commonly works along side men outside, the discussion of bodily functions while outside is hilarious for me. Let's just say women don't have the proper equipment to go outside so I have developed what I call a "corn field bladder" and can hold it for long periods :lol2: :lol2: Books never discuss anything like this I wish they did because it can be quite funny at times.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I think that Sophie explaining how difficult it is to pee in waders is very relatable. Only a woman who has peed outside can truly relate to the difficulties. I think it adds humor to the story and makes it more relatable. I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed to share it with anyone. However, I can't think of any other stories on the top of my head that talk much about bodily functions.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I find nothing uncommon about the description of bodily functions as in The Reel Sisters. Aside from this one, I haven't recently read any that referred to bodily functions but I'll love to. I'll also recommend such books to friends without reservation.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

I think it's rare to find in a book, and would mostly be found in comedies. I can't remember the last time it was mentioned in a book before I read "The Real Sister's", but my reaction to it was that of laughter, maybe because I wasn't expecting it. I loved reading about it in this story, it had me in tears!
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Descriptions of bodily functions in books don't really have an effect on me. But I guess if a book does it multiple times then it might get annoying.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I think in cases like this book its funny and relatable, but in some other books would take away from the magic and tense pacing.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I liked that specific description of Sophie having to use the bathroom, it's funny and light and I am sure everyone can relate to it. I wouldn't be embarrassed about laughing and mentioning it to my friends or family.

Of course, the reference should make sense in the story, if a description is added for the sake of being added, I would be slightly annoyed.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

Personally I don't like books that mention bodily functions.

I think that if someone wants to write a book they should consider who will be reading it
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

That was really funny! It seems like characters in stories barely ever have to use the bathroom to be honest. Out of all the stories I've read I can't recall much trips to the toilet, guess its a taboo topic. Thats probably why its so funny.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I think it's completely fine. Literature is supposed to be a reflection of reality, so that's not something that I think must be glossed over or ignored. When I was younger, I used to find it odd that characters in movies and books seemed to find no time to get their business done, and that was very weird to me. I can't remember the last book I read that delved into that, almost like it's a taboo topic.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

It's kinda funny now that I think of it, but honestly,I barely notice this when reading novels. Thanks for the insight!
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I like it when novels discuss this kind of thing! Especially in novels where the characters are in extreme situations, I always wonder about how these "normal" things become more difficult for them. When it's included, it can add humor, intrigue, and satisfy my curiosity!
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

It is something recent for me too. I hadn't read so many books that describe bodily functions, but I think that it makes the book more realistic and interesting too.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

The cases in this book were quite funny. I don't remember any odd descriptions in the books I've read (or that I haven't read an odd description yet), but the cases in this book weren't odd at all.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”