The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Post by LoisCHenderson »

I had to laugh at Sophie's detailed description of a woman trying to pee with waders on, as I often get caught in a similar position outdoors when taking my dog, Splay, for a walk first thing in the morning. What effect do descriptions of bodily functions in novels have on you? Which books have you encountered with such descriptions, and would you encourage others to read the novels concerned, or would you be too embarrassed to :oops: ?
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I have to say that I have not read any books recently that really describe bodily functions. However, I think that they would be an interesting addition to some novels. Especially fantasy novels. I think I would laugh seeing a person having to deal with having to pee during the apocalypse, or having an upset stomach or even the flu while they were traveling on a long-term adventure.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

BriennaiJ wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:00 I have to say that I have not read any books recently that really describe bodily functions. However, I think that they would be an interesting addition to some novels. Especially fantasy novels. I think I would laugh seeing a person having to deal with having to pee during the apocalypse, or having an upset stomach or even the flu while they were traveling on a long-term adventure.
Or imagine a vampire attacking one on the loo - kind of takes the gravity out of the situation (though some might say it adds substance to it ...).
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 22:04
BriennaiJ wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:00 I have to say that I have not read any books recently that really describe bodily functions. However, I think that they would be an interesting addition to some novels. Especially fantasy novels. I think I would laugh seeing a person having to deal with having to pee during the apocalypse, or having an upset stomach or even the flu while they were traveling on a long-term adventure.
Or imagine a vampire attacking one on the loo - kind of takes the gravity out of the situation (though some might say it adds substance to it ...).
Yes! All of these things would be hilarious to read, and yet it would allow readers to truly put themselves in the shoes of the main characters. :lol2:
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

Bodily functions are quite frightening although sometimes funny.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

Sanyesto wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 15:54 Bodily functions are quite frightening although sometimes funny.
Do you remember that movie where a whole group of scientists gets miniaturised to explore inside the human body? The worst part of such an adventure must surely be its ending LOL!!
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

EXACTLY! I've wondered this so often, when watching movies, TV shows and reading books. Especially post-apocalyptic stuff. I legitimately want to see people dealing with real issues like women being on their periods and not having anything to assist with it, because that is reality. I know it's really only a small point in terms of the overall plot so that's probably why it's not brought up often, but it would make everything so much more realistic and relatable if it was.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

Many of the books that I read involve larger issues than bodily function, like running from a corrupt government or coping with the apocalypse. Because there are so many other issues, the author rarely has time to comment on things that we normal people take for granted, like finding time to go to the bathroom. :lol:

While I think it would be an effective way to create a sense of realism, I think it would be hard to incorporate it in a way that isn't distracting or weird. Or to make sure it doesn't change the tone of the writing.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 20:36 Many of the books that I read involve larger issues than bodily function, like running from a corrupt government or coping with the apocalypse. Because there are so many other issues, the author rarely has time to comment on things that we normal people take for granted, like finding time to go to the bathroom. :lol:

While I think it would be an effective way to create a sense of realism, I think it would be hard to incorporate it in a way that isn't distracting or weird. Or to make sure it doesn't change the tone of the writing.
Nice answer - thanks!
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I see nothing wrong with writing about them as long as the context calls for it. They are, after all, natural and why should we be embarrassed about them or about reading about them? Maybe if they were included more often in literature people would be less embarrassed!
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

EMoffat wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 01:05 I see nothing wrong with writing about them as long as the context calls for it. They are, after all, natural and why should we be embarrassed about them or about reading about them? Maybe if they were included more often in literature people would be less embarrassed!
Too true!
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I don’t usually mind bodily functions described in books, most of the time it’s fairly humorous like it was in this one. There was one book I read though, that I couldn’t get through a single chapter with out a character stating they had to go to the bathroom or reminding another adult that they should try to go. It was very strange and was kind of irritating.
Sketches_by_Shell
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell »

It has been a habit of writers to leave out bodily functions from a story unless they are deemed necessary to share details. I often wonder why people in TV shows, and in books do not ever eat! That must be why they do not need to show bodily functions, the characters never eat. Even when they do order food, they very rarely show them eating. I at least want to know that they have taken in some form of nourishment. Going to the bathroom could be handled in a tasteful way, or better yet in today's society, a more distasteful way to add humor, or even to invoke empathy for a character. Remember in Bridesmaids when she had to "go" in the sink? That was hilarious, and then in the street? That was even more hilarious.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I have an author friend who wrote a book about incidences of bodily function mishaps. I suppose that it's probably funny to read. Unfortunately I'm not inclined to read a book that's completely devoted to the topic. However, if it's interspersed within a story with only a few incidents, and if they are funny, I wouldn't mind it or would likely like it if they were funny.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

Acwoolet wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 08:19 I don’t usually mind bodily functions described in books, most of the time it’s fairly humorous like it was in this one. There was one book I read though, that I couldn’t get through a single chapter with out a character stating they had to go to the bathroom or reminding another adult that they should try to go. It was very strange and was kind of irritating.
:D A bit like the Billy Bunter novels, where few pages went by without some food being devoured... No Pulitzer prize for that one!

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”