The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Re: The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Post by LoisCHenderson »

lbhatters wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 21:43 I have an author friend who wrote a book about incidences of bodily function mishaps. I suppose that it's probably funny to read. Unfortunately I'm not inclined to read a book that's completely devoted to the topic. However, if it's interspersed within a story with only a few incidents, and if they are funny, I wouldn't mind it or would likely like it if they were funny.
What's the title of the book, and who's the author? Maybe some of the OBC members would like to read it. :techie-studyingbrown:
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

:shock: The author is S. Jane Gari and Heidi R. Willis.

It's called Flush This Book: True Tales of Bodily Malfunctions :tiphat:
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

lbhatters wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 09:13 :shock: The author is S. Jane Gari and Heidi R. Willis.

Did you know that it's on discount today for only $0.99? I'm definitely going to get it
:D! Thanks so much for letting us know!
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 09:29
lbhatters wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 09:13 :shock: The author is S. Jane Gari and Heidi R. Willis.

Did you know that it's on discount today for only $0.99? I'm definitely going to get it
Just bought it - oh the joys of e-books that one can have such immediate access!
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 09:50
LoisCHenderson wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 09:29

Just bought it - oh the joys of e-books that one can have such immediate access!
Getting in on this too! Sounds really fun! :lol:
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I find it a bit weird to be reading about bodily functions. So far I haven't encountered a book that vividly describes it but I don't see anything to be embarrassed about. After all, we all do it, right?
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I'm so glad to hear two people here bought the book. Let me know what you think :lol:
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

Eileen R wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 15:06 I find it a bit weird to be reading about bodily functions. So far I haven't encountered a book that vividly describes it but I don't see anything to be embarrassed about. After all, we all do it, right?
Just that some make a fetish of it, which is grotesque (in terms of my way of thinking - I am most definitely not into copraphilia!) ...
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

lbhatters wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 18:07 I'm so glad to hear two people here bought the book. Let me know what you think :lol:
Shall do!!
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

Having to pee while wearing waders would be a real trial! I always lament to my husband that he and the boys have it easy when we're on a trip. They can just pull off to the side of the road with minimal exposure. Women just aren't so lucky, unless we use a "she wee" spout. Anyone tried those? Definitely look like they have a learning curve.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

folkshot wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 09:48 Having to pee while wearing waders would be a real trial! I always lament to my husband that he and the boys have it easy when we're on a trip. They can just pull off to the side of the road with minimal exposure. Women just aren't so lucky, unless we use a "she wee" spout. Anyone tried those? Definitely look like they have a learning curve.
And that's definitely not the 'curve' that most men think of when they think of women ...LOL!!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 22:49
Sanyesto wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 15:54 Bodily functions are quite frightening although sometimes funny.
Do you remember that movie where a whole group of scientists gets miniaturised to explore inside the human body? The worst part of such an adventure must surely be its ending LOL!!
Hahaha 😂 this is quite funny.

This subject reminds me a lot about say The Walking Dead. I love the show, but I guess a scene or two of Rick Grimes picking some contraceptives on his next pharmacy raid won't hurt....
mcfeealexis
Currently Reading: #Nerd
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfeealexis.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by mcfeealexis »

I have never really payed attention to characters in books during normal bodily functions. I think the most they ever do is just stated that a person is either going to the toilet or taking a shower, unless it has something to do with the story or one of the characters.
As in one book that I read were one of the main characters had a phobia of people peeing the shower. In that book the characters had address someone acusing them of peeing in the shower and they had a whole discussion about it. I do not mind not have bodily functions stated in detail because I believe it would not add to the story or the plot so it would be a waste.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:

Post by LoisCHenderson »

juliusotinyo wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 12:58
LoisCHenderson wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 22:49
Sanyesto wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 15:54 Bodily functions are quite frightening although sometimes funny.
Do you remember that movie where a whole group of scientists gets miniaturised to explore inside the human body? The worst part of such an adventure must surely be its ending LOL!!
Hahaha 😂 this is quite funny.

This subject reminds me a lot about say The Walking Dead. I love the show, but I guess a scene or two of Rick Grimes picking some contraceptives on his next pharmacy raid won't hurt....
Your comment is brilliant!! It's about time there was some levity in the OBC - there are far too many goody two-shoes in here!! Take the saccharine out of the sweetness ...
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Thanks, my comments have been referred to as such in this forum. I guess 'correctness' has its place but in some subjects it contradicts objective discussions.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”