The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Re: The discussion of bodily functions in literature

Post by liftedbooks »

I had a great laugh at this one too! I don't mind if it is described humorously as it is in this case. I would not be inclined to read a book devoted to the subject though. That would just be weird.
ChrisChatfield
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrischatfield.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by ChrisChatfield »

I think it should be included in the story as it does include an amount of realism. There have been several instances where I've read a story or watched an action-packed movie and asked myself, "I wonder how they have time to eat or go to the bathroom while this whole thing is going on".
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Off the top of my head I can only remember the Green Mile describing the pain of one of its main characters peeing while having a urinary infection. It was definitely very descriptive and painful to read, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it. It is one of my favorite books ever! :D
Morganncall
Favorite Book: Exemplary Tales of Love and Tales of Disillusion
Currently Reading: Daughter of Fortune
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganncall.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Morganncall »

I feel like, especially for women, bodily descriptions are rare, so naturally I pay attention. I think there is a link between writting and the body, and reading and the body. Bodily functions can make you laugh, cringe, feel sick or embarrased, but no matter what, they always create such a viceral reaction. I LOVE that viceral reaction because it just plunges you into the story so well.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I think bodily functions can make a story or character seem more realistic, and in this example, add some humor as well. A few of these moments throughout a story is fine, but wouldn't want to read a lot of them.
GKerr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkerr.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by GKerr »

BriennaiJ wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:00 I have to say that I have not read any books recently that really describe bodily functions. However, I think that they would be an interesting addition to some novels. Especially fantasy novels. I think I would laugh seeing a person having to deal with having to pee during the apocalypse, or having an upset stomach or even the flu while they were traveling on a long-term adventure.
This is always something which baffles me about stories, they never show the basic needs of the person, and I am guilty of this myself!
It would be interesting to read a narrative which was so intwined with realism that it portrayed almost every action of the person, no matter how unpleasant it might be... unsure what genre it would fit in though!
:shifty:
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

I think that authors should describe bodily functions more often. I mean, we all pee. I've noticed that people get squeamish when you talk or write about them, but it's something that everyone can relate to. Another book series that I know the author talks pee, is the Geek Girl series. It shouldn't bother anyone, it's just a natural part of life.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

:lol2: This thread has ruined me.
All I can picture now is running from certain death but sweating because you have diarrhea from eating something questionable.
Also, I think we need a comedy dystopian novel. Yes, definitely. :lol:
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 01:45
michmc3 wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 15:17
LoisCHenderson wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:49 I had to laugh at Sophie's detailed description of a woman trying to pee with waders on, as I often get caught in a similar position outdoors when taking my dog, Splay, for a walk first thing in the morning. What effect do descriptions of bodily functions in novels have on you? Which books have you encountered with such descriptions, and would you encourage others to read the novels concerned, or would you be too embarrassed to :oops: ?
Fun topic! What did you think about the 'socrifice' in the book? ~Michelle Cummings
Why don't you tell us what you think about it first?
Well I thought it was hysterical, but then again, I made it up! ~Michelle Cummings
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Yes, that certainly was a funny moment Sophie shared. However, I do not recall too many moments where such descriptions of bodily functions in novels have effected me. But I will say, as I read that segment of the story, I felt for her. Furthermore, if I ever come across such descriptive novels, I don't believe that I would be too embarrassed to encourage others to read them.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

BriennaiJ wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:00 I have to say that I have not read any books recently that really describe bodily functions. However, I think that they would be an interesting addition to some novels. Especially fantasy novels. I think I would laugh seeing a person having to deal with having to pee during the apocalypse, or having an upset stomach or even the flu while they were traveling on a long-term adventure.
I completely agree. It would make fictional characters seem so much more real.
juliecsa
Currently Reading: Gathering Blue
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliecsa.html
Latest Review: A Ghost in My Mirror by Olabisi Gwamna

Post by juliecsa »

I can't think of any other books off the top of my head that mention bodily functions. I've never really thought of this! Now I'm wondering if it's just because discussing it wouldn't have added to the plot, or if authors think it's taboo to do so.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I haven’t read many books with detailed description of bodily functions but it seems like it would be something that most people could relate too at some level
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I can't remember the exact names of books I've read, but I always find these descriptions actually quite funny, except in the cases where they come off as brass and intending to shock extremely dramatically. However, when done right, I find that inserting these sometimes has the effect of making the characters more real. It's outright ridiculous in some novels which have some female characters never menstruating. Ever. Or in other cases where they never have to go. Just adds this otherworldly quality to books that have readers detached from the characters.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I loved that part, Veronica's socrifice was really hilarious too! I'm not sure I recall reading about bodily functions in other books...

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”