The Reel Sisters and Their Men

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Re: The Reel Sisters and Their Men

Post by Ria710 »

I think it is a good strategy to give the men just supporting roles, as the book was based mainly on the 5 females. I mean even without the men, the book would be amazing.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I think it was a good choice to have the men as supporting roles, eliminating them completely might have been unrealistic as many women have men that are an important part of their lives but foremost this book is about female friendship and empowerment.
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariely-20.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ariely 20 »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 09:31 The book is explicitly gynocentric celebrating the female bonds and women as a natural nurturer. The male characters are all relegated to the periphery merely functioning as appendages to the central characters. In fact, in a very subtle way the author champions gender fluidity in the characters of Thatcher who dons the role of a chef and a homemaker to a globetrotting entrepreneur spouse and Mike who is now forced to don the role of a single parent. This is a conscious reversal of the traditional male gender roles. The negation of gender stereotyping in reiterated in a casual conversation between the characters to remove the suffix man from the word ‘fisherman’ and thereby neutralize the gender associations. The reference to Dame Julianna Berners who wrote a book on fish flying in the 1400 in the mans world and claiming that women have better listening, patience and observation to fly fish better than men all seem to allude or call for a change in the world around us from being too androcentric.
Really great insights. The gender role reversals was not obvious to me.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Thank you!
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

Good observation. The women came out strong and they gave strength to each other. It wouldn't make a difference if the men were excluded completely. Thatcher though had the most impact of the men in the story. He took time to have dinner with the ladies, hired Melody as a photographer and went a step further to find a date for Veronica even though it didn't work.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Alicer wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 11:47 Good observation. The women came out strong and they gave strength to each other. It wouldn't make a difference if the men were excluded completely. Thatcher though had the most impact of the men in the story. He took time to have dinner with the ladies, hired Melody as a photographer and went a step further to find a date for Veronica even though it didn't work.
Oops, Thatcher surely didn't want Veronica, his wife, dating someone else! :lol:
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

Sorry I meant a date for Sophie. Thanks for noting.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:55
bookowlie wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 14:56 Jeyasivananth, you made some very good points! In this book, the men are basically in the background and aren't fleshed out too much. Thatcher is the always cheerful, always helpful husband, but we don't get to know him too well. He seemed like the gender flip of a helpful, supportive wife. In the latter sections of the story, Sophie's boyfriend isn't fleshed out well and just seemed to be a plot device for her to finally have a romantic partner. Amanda's husband's storyline is a little more detailed, but I felt the focus was still on her reactions to him being away and then having PTSD when he came home.
Yes , your observation are spot on. There so many characters left with so much wanting. It is one of the reasons i gave book only three stars.Many characters are flat and undeveloped.
To be honest, I would have liked to see more of the men, and yes, I know the point of the book is to praise the friendship between women; but they were a great contrast in the quality of the characters in the book. I agree here. Men seem underdeveloped and little more than plot devices.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

damis wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 04:16
Jeyasivananth wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:55
bookowlie wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 14:56 Jeyasivananth, you made some very good points! In this book, the men are basically in the background and aren't fleshed out too much. Thatcher is the always cheerful, always helpful husband, but we don't get to know him too well. He seemed like the gender flip of a helpful, supportive wife. In the latter sections of the story, Sophie's boyfriend isn't fleshed out well and just seemed to be a plot device for her to finally have a romantic partner. Amanda's husband's storyline is a little more detailed, but I felt the focus was still on her reactions to him being away and then having PTSD when he came home.
Yes , your observation are spot on. There so many characters left with so much wanting. It is one of the reasons i gave book only three stars.Many characters are flat and undeveloped.
To be honest, I would have liked to see more of the men, and yes, I know the point of the book is to praise the friendship between women; but they were a great contrast in the quality of the characters in the book. I agree here. Men seem underdeveloped and little more than plot devices.
[/

Definitely, my thoughts as well.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I thought the writer had some feminist ideas. Yet the men in the book did seem to have purposes- if only to strengthen and support the women's roles
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 09:31 The book is explicitly gynocentric celebrating the female bonds and women as a natural nurturer. The male characters are all relegated to the periphery merely functioning as appendages to the central characters. In fact, in a very subtle way the author champions gender fluidity in the characters of Thatcher who dons the role of a chef and a homemaker to a globetrotting entrepreneur spouse and Mike who is now forced to don the role of a single parent. This is a conscious reversal of the traditional male gender roles. The negation of gender stereotyping in reiterated in a casual conversation between the characters to remove the suffix man from the word ‘fisherman’ and thereby neutralize the gender associations. The reference to Dame Julianna Berners who wrote a book on fish flying in the 1400 in the mans world and claiming that women have better listening, patience and observation to fly fish better than men all seem to allude or call for a change in the world around us from being too androcentric.
I completely agree with you. I thought the same when I was wondering about the characters of the book. I really liked the reversal of traditional roles.
baldgi84
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Fulfilment
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baldgi84.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by baldgi84 »

Although men had supporting roles in this book, I think they were essential for the book.
Nama Winnie
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nama-winnie.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Nama Winnie »

Kieran_Obrien wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 12:20 I think it would've been a better book if the men were left out of it completely! Sophie's entire character arc revolves around her finding a man. Thatcher is just kind of there... he does nothing. As for Amanda's husband, well he really felt like he was being used as a plot device so that Amanda would have a reason to storm out of the house at the end...
Your first sentence made me laugh.

I echo your sentiments though. I didn't see the point of having the men in the book.
Half the time I forgot they were even there.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I think more or less the story would have been the same. Only Amanda’s husband had a major role according to me.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I think it was a good strategy because it allowed for a different perspective on how men should be supportive of women. I don't think the story would have been the same though without the men because they ended up impacting the women characters in the story be it in small or big ways.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”