The Reel Sisters and Their Men

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: The Reel Sisters and Their Men

Post by Gerry_9 »

I think the author was targeting to showcase women as independent people by sidelining men. The book was centered around friendship among the four women therefore it had to be girlish for the author to achieve her objective.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 09:31 The book is explicitly gynocentric celebrating the female bonds and women as a natural nurturer. The male characters are all relegated to the periphery merely functioning as appendages to the central characters. In fact, in a very subtle way the author champions gender fluidity in the characters of Thatcher who dons the role of a chef and a homemaker to a globetrotting entrepreneur spouse and Mike who is now forced to don the role of a single parent. This is a conscious reversal of the traditional male gender roles. The negation of gender stereotyping in reiterated in a casual conversation between the characters to remove the suffix man from the word ‘fisherman’ and thereby neutralize the gender associations. The reference to Dame Julianna Berners who wrote a book on fish flying in the 1400 in the mans world and claiming that women have better listening, patience and observation to fly fish better than men all seem to allude or call for a change in the world around us from being too androcentric.
Wow. Yes. Great observations, well expressed! I've not read this book but I am always interested in stories that convincingly switch gender roles, and manage not to make it seem too "so there!".
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

bookowlie wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 10:41
CatInTheHat wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 17:55 I feel like the men had a reason to be there, but if they were given greater roles in the story, it would have diminished the essence of the story, the women's friendships.
You make a good point. It's always a balancing act for an author to keep some characters in the background so the main premise is not watered down. In this case, it would have probably taken the plot even more off track if the men had been featured more, since there were already five main characters!
I totally agree with many here, although, Thatcher was a little too perfect. Maybe if the author had been able to give us a little more on him, I would have hated Veronica less.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

londonmartine wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 04:21
Jeyasivananth wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 09:31 The book is explicitly gynocentric celebrating the female bonds and women as a natural nurturer. The male characters are all relegated to the periphery merely functioning as appendages to the central characters. In fact, in a very subtle way the author champions gender fluidity in the characters of Thatcher who dons the role of a chef and a homemaker to a globetrotting entrepreneur spouse and Mike who is now forced to don the role of a single parent. This is a conscious reversal of the traditional male gender roles. The negation of gender stereotyping in reiterated in a casual conversation between the characters to remove the suffix man from the word ‘fisherman’ and thereby neutralize the gender associations. The reference to Dame Julianna Berners who wrote a book on fish flying in the 1400 in the mans world and claiming that women have better listening, patience and observation to fly fish better than men all seem to allude or call for a change in the world around us from being too androcentric.

Wow. Yes. Great observations, well expressed! I've not read this book but I am always interested in stories that convincingly switch gender roles, and manage not to make it seem too "so there!".
I am glad you agree. And yes, implicit portrayals have their unique charm.
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

It has been fun to read through all of your comments. Thanks for some great dialog about The Reel Sisters! ~Michelle Cummings
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by zilizopita1998 »

Women are the pillar that supports this story.
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

It's interesting to have a story centered on women with the men having a limited impact. Reminds me of Ya Ya Sisterhood in that respect.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Without the men I am sure the story would have changed a bit. The main characters being women and the men being given supportive roles does not make it less interesting but some other books do it the other way round.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 23:40 One can say that this is a woman's book. The author is a lady, the main characters are all girls, and even the dog is a she. Do you think it was a good strategy to give the men only supporting roles?

Who among the men (fathers, husbands, exes and boyfriends) had the most impact? Would the story have been the same without men in the picture?
The story was about the women and not the men. It brought a reality to focus that women need to get together sometimes, not to male bash but to support each other, relax, take a break from the hectic world we live in. It's great they had supportive men but their role in the book was menial but gave credence to the story.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
lisabrowne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lisabrowne »

this is a good book. all about women and power.
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

I think it would have been a better book if the men were left out of it completely. The entire characters revolves around women, the women now over power the men. I think thats why its Unique and interesting.
Xancode
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

It's a rare kind of story. I think it tries to show just how independent women can be. Leaving our men on the book would have brought an effect, Sophie's entire character arc revolves around finding a man.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I think we so many books and movies where the men are the main characters and the woman are the add on's so this change of pace was really nice.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Yes, let's celebrate muliebrity!
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

MollyEnter wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 07:32
bookowlie wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 10:41
CatInTheHat wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 17:55 I feel like the men had a reason to be there, but if they were given greater roles in the story, it would have diminished the essence of the story, the women's friendships.
You make a good point. It's always a balancing act for an author to keep some characters in the background so the main premise is not watered down. In this case, it would have probably taken the plot even more off track if the men had been featured more, since there were already five main characters!
I totally agree with many here, although, Thatcher was a little too perfect. Maybe if the author had been able to give us a little more on him, I would have hated Veronica less.
Haha. This made me giggle. Just wait to see what happens with Veronica and Thatcher in the sequel! I agree, their lives were a little too perfect in this story... There's a storm brewing! ~Michelle Cummings

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”