The Reel Sisters and Their Men

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
ValBookReviews
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valbookreviews.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: The Reel Sisters and Their Men

Post by ValBookReviews » 08 Jun 2018, 15:20

Of course the story would not have been the same if the men were not pictured as I think it was a good strategy to give the men supporting roles to generate and appeal to a larger audience, as well as bring realness (a balance) to the characters lives. With that, I believe that Mike and Amanda's relationship had the greatest impact. I also believe, the author wrote this "woman's book" to not only encourage, inspire and educate women regarding 'fly fishing' and to increase 'women friendships', but, more important to empower and strengthen them.
"And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life". (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

TaaraLynn
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn » 10 Jul 2018, 12:07

I don't mind background characters. I've read and seen movies where the character has a spouse, but they are rarely there. Like just the other day, all the husband did was work on the car (which sort of impacted the last scene), he had a few lines, and stood in scenes with his family. But because of how he was characterized, I'm wasn't left saying, "What was the point of that character?" :doh:

That doesn't always work though, like in this story. I don't want to be left wanting. (I read that in a previous reply).
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders

asere_maryanne
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by asere_maryanne » 08 Aug 2018, 04:29

It is a good thing that the book was a woman affair. I am also of the thought they they should not be there in the first place.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 102
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Wordstruck! by Susanna Janssen
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 08 Aug 2018, 04:39

asere_maryanne wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 04:29
It is a good thing that the book was a woman affair. I am also of the thought they they should not be there in the first place.
Yes, let's go for Amazon power! LOL

Kareka88
2018 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 » 18 Aug 2018, 10:59

The story would have worked the same had the men not been present. The women would have talked about other life difficulties. The men just added a realness to the characters and their lives. Some of our friends are married, some are not. Some are widowed, some have never been married. That's just life. But yes, the men were not needed to make the book relatable.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”