How do you feel about the present tense in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Re: How do you feel about the present tense in the book?

Post by londonmartine »

That's the important thing - that the use of present tense is consistent. I feel like it's not comfortable for most people, and when it comes to writing I've seen so many books which have tried to go for the present tense only to slip up and get it wrong, which then feels uncomfortable and unprofessional. Glad this book managed it, but I know what you mean - it can feel quite off-kilter.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I am not really bothered by it in fact i prefer it.
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

Present tense is not common in most novels but when used perfectly in the entire book it gives the book a feel of its happening now. It makes the book more involving since the reader grows or develops with the characters.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

In the academic writing that I edit, the present tense is used in relation to the text of any information source (e.g. one would say "Stephens (2008) notes that crowding of tourism spots leads to the locals staying away from pubic venues during the height of the holiday season.") Such use of tense makes what the researcher says a point of ongoing relevance, rather than an abstraction that only held valid for some period in the past. Such relevancy can also be seen in relation to fictional text, such as in the present instance.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

I honestly didn't notice the tense being odd. It seemed just right to me, especially considering I was learning so much about fly fishing during the experience.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
rusalka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rusalka.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by rusalka »

That’s exactly the thing with present tense—it works perfectly when you forget about it. It starts out distracting almost surely (example: The Hunger Games trilogy), but if the story is good and the writing smooth, then you’ll automatically forget about paying attention to the tense and just become immersed.

Personally, I am a fan of that writing, but it is crucial that it is executed well.
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

Melchi Asuma wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 03:36 I always feel that using the present tense in a novel for a writer is pretty daring. It takes very great authors to pull it off and the author of The Reel Sisters really did pull it off. Hats off to the author.
Thank you! ~Michelle Cummings
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Present tense has never really bothered me. I write in first person present tense and so do a lot of the authors I read so it isn't a problem. It does take certain finesse to do it correctly though. After a few pages, I found it actually helped me stay in the book more so than if it had been in past tense. But I think it just depends on what you are used to reading on a regular basis.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

The present tense didn’t bother me, I think that it fit the book quite well. I think that it could have used either present or past tense, but it did make it more unique.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

I think it can be extremely difficult to write in the present tense, because we naturally tell a story in the past tense. I think it is a very effective tool to draw the reader into the action, making you feel like the story is happening around you and that you are a part of it. However, just one slip into another tense can bring down the entire story, like the penny in the movie Somewhere In Time.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I think the use of present tense is not beneficial to a detective story because it will spoil the suspense since it will reveal his thoughts and analyses. To defer his findings while his investigation is ongoing will seem unnatural. Its use also takes a reader a while to get the hang of it; otherwise, it is not a problem really.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I wrote a book in past tense and changed it to present tense. I didn't like the effect. I'm wondering if it made me feel too familiar to my own writing or whether it's just because the style is less popular and I wasn't used to it. I'm still not sure.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

Use of present tense usually feels okay to me as it makes me more engaged to the story.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

maggiechap wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 15:16 Present tense has never really bothered me. I write in first person present tense and so do a lot of the authors I read so it isn't a problem. It does take certain finesse to do it correctly though. After a few pages, I found it actually helped me stay in the book more so than if it had been in past tense. But I think it just depends on what you are used to reading on a regular basis.
Exactly my thoughts
BookWild
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwild.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BookWild »

Maybe it's because most books I read are in past tense, but present tense is a distraction to me. I find it especially hard to read when it's first person and present tense together.

I prefer third person and past tense. It helps me to imagine the characters and see them as if they were real when the story is told as though it already happened.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”