How do you feel about the present tense in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Re: How do you feel about the present tense in the book?

Post by Mely918 »

Reading a book in the present tense would probably deter me, at least in the beginning, from really getting into the book. It would probably take me some time to get used to it.
Chanti Stargirl
Currently Reading: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanti-stargirl.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Chanti Stargirl »

I enjoy books written in present tense, I like the sense of 'now'. I do, however, feel that if the storyline is good and the grammar is correct, the tense does not matter as much. You would only notice, if it caused a problem and disrupted the flow of the story.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

I don't really like present tense at all with reading. I like the feeling that past tense reading gives, like it's coming from somewhere, not just going. I couldn't get into this book, and I feel like that might have been why.
vwalter93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by vwalter93 »

I am personally a huge fan of stream of consciousness narration so the present tense didn't bother me. Reading a book that utilizes this style always makes me feel like I'm on an adventure with the protagonist and it's some sort of inner dialogue that only I am privy to.

For those who aren't a fan of the present tense being used in novels, this is such a page turner that I don't think they'll notice after they've gotten into it.
pilvi wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 15:10 The book is written in present tense. Do you feel this unusual choice was a good one from the author? Does it bring the story out in the best possible way? Would it have been a different story if written in past tense?

For me, it took time to get into the story. The present tense felt weird in the beginning and I noticed I was resisting somehow. But when I got sucked into the story, I mostly forgot to pay attention to the tense, as it was consistent and well done.
Wesley Liu
Currently Reading: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Wesley Liu »

I usually feel a little awkward with present tense in books. It makes it feel like the character is speaking directly to me, and it is more of a diary or a long interview instead of a story. Meanwhile, third person makes the writing seem more like a story, in my opinion, because it feels like the book has plot instead of someone speaking to you directly. Of course, in this book, the first person technique is written well enough that it becomes unnoticed later.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I some what agree! In as much as I was intrigued and enjoyed just how the story reads from the voice of the characters, in the present tense, however, liken unto being captivated by my most watched and thrilling TV show as it transitions from one scene to the next, I did not like the constant pauses in between each chapter: quotes and passages taken from various resources and sources, as I interpret as annoying commercials, wherefore, I wish I was able to read the story from cover to cover without consistent interruptions, etc. There's nothing like sitting on the edge of your seat and then..."we'll be right back after this commercial break"...and based upon your thoughts...U g h! Feel free to check out my published review at -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71123.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I know I would like it, because when I was in high school, our one teacher had us write in present tense when we did short stories. So, present tense doesn't bother me in the least.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

I liked the present tense. I think It gave a more realistic feel to the book as each character narrated their own story.
I could relate to the characters better because of it.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

The use of present tense made the story work much easier than if it was told in past tense. Showing the development of friendship works better in the present than the past.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I must say, I struggle with reading in the present tense; it never seems to flow in my mind as well and have, in the past, stopped reading a book because it seems to take just too much effort! Perhaps it is because stories, by definition, are narratives of events in the past. I'm sure I just need to persevere a bit and I'll get used to it!
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I honestly did not notice the tense when I began reading it. I think either past or present would have been fine, but perhaps the present helps keeps things more action based and engaging. I enjoy the present tense internal narration from each of the women as well.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I'm currently reading this and definitely enjoying the present tense. I think I actually prefer present tense to past tense in literature, it makes it all feel so much more 'real' to me.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

The use of the present tense in the book did not take away from my reading and having fun with the book. Initially, I found the book boring but with time, I started having fun with it. I think the use of first-person narrative style helped the book's overall delivery.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

I quite enjoyed reading this book in the present tense. It made me feel like I was living the story with them. Living their situations and hearing their thoughts in the first person helped me experience their feelings and get to know the characters better. I believe it could have been written in the past tense but I don't think it would be quiet as engaging. In my opinion, the author made the perfect choice.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I love that the book was written in the present tense! It makes me feel close to the girls, as if I was having a conversation with them.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”