How do you feel about the present tense in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Thebookstealer
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 18

Re: How do you feel about the present tense in the book?

Post by Thebookstealer »

I haven't read this particular book yet, but I have read other books that were written in present tense. Paula Hawkins' The Girl on the Train is one I can pick off the top of my head right now and I've always thought it is such a beautiful style to write. It's unusual, and maybe that's part of the author's plan to capture the reader's attention because doing something different requires more focus than doing something we already are used to.
AnitaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by AnitaM »

I enjoy stories written in present tense unless they are clearly set in the past (in which case I feel that past tense is more appropriate). Present tense writing can sometimes be more exciting and there is a feeling of the story playing out as you read, without a set conclusion.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

I like present tense because it helps to enjoy the book as if I am with the author but again, i like most past tense because it makes feel like I am listening to someone; on that time i pay much attention. When the characters in present are not catching my intention justly the book bothers me.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

With a stream of consciousness literary piece, I prefer present tense. It can be powerful, and difficult to pull off, but if done properly, can render well-rounded and dynamic characters. With The Reel Sisters, the reader collectively experiences each moment with the characters as each moment occurs, paving the way for the development of other literary elements pivotal to the plot, such as situational irony. Michelle Cummings nicely executed this technique.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I see many books lately written in present tense instead of past tense. It gives the book a different feeling, almost more real, like I'm living it while it happens.
Berry :wine:
Lundemelia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lundemelia.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lundemelia »

I quite enjoyed that the book was written in present tense as it felt like the events were happening as I read them. I didn't restrict my reading in any way really.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Present tense in books is always a little bit weird at first, but I think you get used to it very quickly!
Lolo Skyooz
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Hill House
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-skyooz.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Lolo Skyooz »

Yeah, it depends on which genres you commonly read. Present tense takes some time to get used to, but in certain genres, it is becoming the norm. I think YA is one of them.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Haven't read this book yet, but if I had a choice, I would prefer a book that is written in the past tense. Present tense seems to be gaining popularity among newer writers, but I prefer the old way of writing. Perhaps it is because a lot of the books I read as a child were written in the past tense, so I am more familiar with that.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

As for me, I do think that might be the author's choice of writing. But honestly, I do enjoy stories written in the past tense.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Interestingly, it is quite permissible and in fact advisable to write a literary analysis in the present tense. The text /narrative is considered to be existing in the present tense and it is formal academic practice. Thus, the writing of a narrative in the present tense makes it feel quite immediate and real.
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

I don't have any issues reading present tense books. In fact, I prefer them and I do not believe it is odd that the author wrote like that.
LeaNyathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanyathi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by LeaNyathi »

Very interesting question. Before I saw this question I didn't think about the tense at all. It doesn't bother me though. I only find it annoying when authors switch tenses often. This one was consistent.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

I think the author did an incredible job by keeping the tense consistent. I didn't have a problem with the present tense used in the book.
Ghada TG
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghada-tg.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Ghada TG »

The present tense is usually more thrilling and addictive if used properly, since it engages the reader to put him_herself in the shoe of the characters, other than feeling the event from a mere reflection of a distant past, one feels more entanglement, as if the events would resonate more properly if it was felt here and now , thus felt more profoundly instantly and consequently more lasting than past experiences.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”