Would the story have worked as well without fly fishing?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Would the story have worked as well without fly fishing?

Post by bookowlie »

In my opinion, this book is first and foremost a story of friendship, with the sport of fly fishing as an accompanying theme. Would the story have worked as well without the fly fishing? For example, what if the women became friends through a book club or and then sometimes had girls' weekends away? I think the fly fishing get-togethers at the cabin were more than just friends hanging out. The setting was very serene and it gave each of the women a chance to relax and recharge. Being outdoors and fishing was a calming experience for them.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't know... I think the fly fishing would have to be replaced by SOMETHING. But I think that there are many things it could be replaced by.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

I think that there was definitely a need for a common interest but I also agree that the nature of their interest helped shape the story. I think that the effect of the outdoors and the patience required in their sports helped shape their group and their personalities.
peace starts with a smile...
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Kandscreeley - I agree there were other things the sport could have been replaced with as a way of getting the girls together. It's not like all of the women previously fished (only Rose and Sophie did).

Snowflake - Good point! Being outdoors and the patience required for fly fishing helped the girls relax and unwind.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I agree that it could have been almost any sport that gets people out of doors. Camping, kayaking, horseback riding, even bird watching.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I actually see it the other way - fly fishing is the central theme, and friendship secondary. Even though only Rose and Sophie originally fly fished (and hooked up because of fly fishing), Sophie at first invited the women to learn about fly fishing. Melody stayed behind with Rose to also learn the sport. She wasn't interested in interaction with other people at that point.

I, however, agree that the women could have easily bonded over any other outdoor sport.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The uniqueness of fly fishing may be the key to their stronger bond of friendship. The exclusivity of some clubs build a stronger bond than a lesser exclusive club with a lower barrier to entry.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Quinto wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 07:29 The uniqueness of fly fishing may be the key to their stronger bond of friendship. The exclusivity of some clubs build a stronger bond than a lesser exclusive club with a lower barrier to entry.
And along those lines, a hobby like horseback riding has such a high barrier to entry that it would be too exclusive, time intensive, and expensive for the women to easily bring someone else into the fold.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

As mentioned above, the fly fishing could have been replaced by some other outdoorsy activity people bond over - the intention I think is the author's focus on the formation of friendships, not necessarily fly fishing itself, though, for this specific story, that's what connected the women. I imagine something like hiking or outdoor photography might have worked just as well.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I personally feel the fly fishing sport has worked wonderfully for the story line. I cannot imagine the story without .It is not merely a passion that links all the characters but it also teaches them the skills to sustain and grow amidst the vicissitudes of life.Like the art of fly fishing the art of living too demands one to learn and unlearn , be aware and adapt, practice and persevere and above all to make connection and release. One can maybe substitute this metaphor with something else ..perhaps music or any other . But i feel its too perfect as it is to suggest a substitution.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

CommMayo wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 14:18 I agree that it could have been almost any sport that gets people out of doors. Camping, kayaking, horseback riding, even bird watching.
I think I agree with you. Something that allows the women to get away, grow their friendship, and have a moment of peace together.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I think could be replaced, but something has to be there. Something should connect them all, be their common interest and sanctuary. But fly fishing sure is an interesting sport. It's an outdoor activity in a serene area.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think the fly fishing is essential to the plot. The author herself learned to fly fish before she started with the book in 2009. She took eight years to learn the sport, create her characters, and weave the story.

Each chapter starts with an appropriate quote from a book on fly fishing. At the end of the story, each woman is compared to a part of the fishing gear. It is clear that the author is enamored with fly fishing and its benefits.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Does Harry Potter need wizards? Does Twilight need vampires? Does the Fault in Our Stars need cancer? Does Moby Dick need whales?

It doesn't really matter! We read these stories for the characters; their wants and needs, their personality and flaws. The rest is all still very important, buts it's just the clothes the story wears. Often it's what makes the story original! I don't know of a single other book about fly fishing for example!

Take our fly fishers out of The Reel Sisters and plonk them into Westeros and you still have a story about friendship.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Kieran_Obrien wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 16:34 Does Harry Potter need wizards? Does Twilight need vampires? Does the Fault in Our Stars need cancer? Does Moby Dick need whales?

It doesn't really matter! We read these stories for the characters; their wants and needs, their personality and flaws. The rest is all still very important, buts it's just the clothes the story wears. Often it's what makes the story original! I don't know of a single other book about fly fishing for example!

Take our fly fishers out of The Reel Sisters and plonk them into Westeros and you still have a story about friendship.
Plonk them into Westeros :lol: I like that.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”