Would the story have worked as well without fly fishing?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Re: Would the story have worked as well without fly fishing?

Post by CommMayo »

Kieran_Obrien wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 16:34 Does Harry Potter need wizards? Does Twilight need vampires? Does the Fault in Our Stars need cancer? Does Moby Dick need whales?

It doesn't really matter! We read these stories for the characters; their wants and needs, their personality and flaws. The rest is all still very important, buts it's just the clothes the story wears. Often it's what makes the story original! I don't know of a single other book about fly fishing for example!

Take our fly fishers out of The Reel Sisters and plonk them into Westeros and you still have a story about friendship.
Great point. Plus, we all needed someone else to associate fly fishing with other than "A River Run Through It." Awful movie, not sure if the book was any better.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:40
Kieran_Obrien wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 16:34 Does Harry Potter need wizards? Does Twilight need vampires? Does the Fault in Our Stars need cancer? Does Moby Dick need whales?

It doesn't really matter! We read these stories for the characters; their wants and needs, their personality and flaws. The rest is all still very important, buts it's just the clothes the story wears. Often it's what makes the story original! I don't know of a single other book about fly fishing for example!

Take our fly fishers out of The Reel Sisters and plonk them into Westeros and you still have a story about friendship.
Great point. Plus, we all needed someone else to associate fly fishing with other than "A River Run Through It." Awful movie, not sure if the book was any better.
Yeah in all fairness it's hard to make the high-octane sport of fly fishing all that dramatic 😂 when I first read a synopsis of the book I thought that the person they pulled out of the river was dead and it was going to be a fly fishing murder mystery 😂
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I can't imagine the story without fly fishing either, even, the title is dependent on that. Maybe, the story could be reworked around other outdoor (and quiet) activities? However, that would probably be another story.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Kieran_Obrien wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 15:07
CommMayo wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:40

Yeah in all fairness it's hard to make the high-octane sport of fly fishing all that dramatic 😂 when I first read a synopsis of the book I thought that the person they pulled out of the river was dead and it was going to be a fly fishing murder mystery 😂
It's funny, I also thought the person from the river was going to be dead and that would create the main plot! I didn't know if it was going to turn into a mystery, but I thought that scene was introducing the central storyline. Instead, it was just a way to add another friend into the mix.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Fly fishing could have been replaced with any activity that took the woman out of the everyday and into a shared focused experience. I did like the fly fishing vehicle; it's a sport that even the most experienced haven't really mastered so is an equalizer to some extent. Because it takes place out in nature, people can interact without all the "static" of modern life.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

Lest92 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 14:14 As mentioned above, the fly fishing could have been replaced by some other outdoorsy activity people bond over - the intention I think is the author's focus on the formation of friendships, not necessarily fly fishing itself, though, for this specific story, that's what connected the women. I imagine something like hiking or outdoor photography might have worked just as well.
I wish they would have replaced it with something else. Fly fishing was a turnoff for me.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

HeatherTasker wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:55
Lest92 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 14:14 As mentioned above, the fly fishing could have been replaced by some other outdoorsy activity people bond over - the intention I think is the author's focus on the formation of friendships, not necessarily fly fishing itself, though, for this specific story, that's what connected the women. I imagine something like hiking or outdoor photography might have worked just as well.
I wish they would have replaced it with something else. Fly fishing was a turnoff for me.
What type of hobby do you think would have worked in its place? I'll admit to not being a huge fan of fly fishing either, but I do enjoy almost any past time that gets people outside.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

CommMayo wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:33
What type of hobby do you think would have worked in its place? I'll admit to not being a huge fan of fly fishing either, but I do enjoy almost any past time that gets people outside.
I'm not sure what hobby would have worked in this story besides fly fishing. It's not like a book club where most of the time is spent discussing the book. There's not a lot of time for chit-chat with other sports such as tennis or baseball. With fly fishing, you are just standing there together for long periods and there's lots of free time to bond.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
JPbrar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jpbrar.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by JPbrar »

I don't believe so, given the striking similarities and underlying connections between the sisters and fly fishing. As with the five sisters, there are five main components of the fly rod used in fly fishing. Each of these components operated independently, but complement one another, due in large part to their unique characteristics. In many ways, this mirrors the relationship between the sisters.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

It is something that is not usually used in books with female characters so it is nice to read something different. But, yes, I think it could have been replaced with other activities. But why should it?
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

bookowlie wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 11:10
CommMayo wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:33

I'm not sure what hobby would have worked in this story besides fly fishing. It's not like a book club where most of the time is spent discussing the book. There's not a lot of time for chit-chat with other sports such as tennis or baseball. With fly fishing, you are just standing there together for long periods and there's lots of free time to bond.
Good point. There are also elements of it being a rare sport/hobby without really excluding anyone... I'm not sure. I'll have to think about this.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

The point of the friendship was their common interest bringing them together. I think that the mentions of fly fishing throughout the book would make it difficult to replace with a less descriptive or specialized interest
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

The story is mainly about friendship and the unique struggle each person goes through in life! So this story would probably have still been a good story without the fly fishing. But it is the fly--fishing which adds the extra to the book . I know how much I enjoyed reading about this sport- it was something I had no idea about before this book. And the setting and the sport made it a very unusual backdrop for a story about female bonding and I enjoyed the book more for it!
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Fly fishing was an interesting choice but I agree that they could have easily bonded over another outdoor sport or activity.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The inclusion of fly fishing as a way of bonding added a unique element to the story. It's also a great marketing tool. My attention to the book was drawn when I read that it's about a group of women who bond over fly fishing.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”