Would the story have worked as well without fly fishing?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Angel2014
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel2014.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Re: Would the story have worked as well without fly fishing?

Post by Angel2014 »

Its clear that the author had a love of fly fishing herself which is the inspiration for her writing the book. Yes fly fishing could be replaced by another activity that the girls could have bonded over, but the story was actually centered around it. If it was changed to a different sport or activity it would be a different book altogether and not "The Reel Sisters". Also I think one of the main points was that the girls took pride in excelling at a sport that was predominantly male. Can a leopard change its spots? If it did then it wouldn't be a leopard. ☺
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariely-20.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ariely 20 »

The women live different lives so if we take out fly fishing we would need a replacement
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

Fly fishing was the main theme of the book. It's the driving force that made the writer produce this book. Friendship came to support the theme and spice up the story. It is through the sport that the women met. To put on the uncomfortable attire of fly fishing required passion. But on the other hand I acknowledge that a common interest could have easily replaced fly fishing as friendship came out strongly in the novel.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

It can may be some other sport will be there. Because I think the story was more about their same interest and how they met because of it and how they become soul sister. If there was some other sport in place of fly fishing then also the book would have been same.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Well, I don't know if it would have worked if fly fishing was completely removed. The whole novel spins around that subject, after all. However, I think MANY fly fishing details could have been spared. It was meant to be a novel, not a fly fishing class, and sometimes, the excessive amount of details made the descriptions quite tedious to me.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I think the fly fishing is a great setting, but could be replaced as long as it is some other binding element with a strong connection to nature, where you can be together yet slightly apart - hiking, skiing, swimming...
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Yes I definitely think it would have worked without fly-fishing specifically. There are so many stories like it. Look at Tyler Perry's Single Mom's Club. There just needs to be one common denominator to unify the characters. I agree the environment adds a little to the connection, but everyone finds serenity in different places. Could've had the same effect with say mountain climbing or lunch dates or a walking group.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I agree that they could have bonded over any sport...but I think the fly fishing was more interesting because it was not something normal or expected for women to bond over
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

The art of fly-fishing could have been replaced and still retained the same basic premise of the story. However, I love that fly-fishing was a main focal point as it allowed me to learn about something completely new to me. I also think it lent itself well to the story as fly-fishing takes work, practice, and finesse to master the craft and get it just right. You can compare the relationships between the characters and each pair requiring just the right tough and knowledge to fishing in different parts of the river. There are a lot of good metaphors to use with fly-fishing and friendships. The two worked well in this story.
Nama Winnie
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nama-winnie.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Nama Winnie »

bookowlie wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 00:04 In my opinion, this book is first and foremost a story of friendship, with the sport of fly fishing as an accompanying theme. Would the story have worked as well without the fly fishing? For example, what if the women became friends through a book club or and then sometimes had girls' weekends away? I think the fly fishing get-togethers at the cabin were more than just friends hanging out. The setting was very serene and it gave each of the women a chance to relax and recharge. Being outdoors and fishing was a calming experience for them.

Yes it would have. I feel like the book was more about friendship than fly fishing. Also the sport was used as a common ground for bringing the women together, so any common interests would have worked the same way.

The fly fishing was a good touch though.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

No, because it was the only reason behind their bond of friendship, how they met amd how their bond continues. They met and their friendship continued only because of fly fishing.
baldgi84
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Fulfilment
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baldgi84.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by baldgi84 »

I think that if there is no fly fishing, there should be something else that would connect the characters.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I think the friendship had a bigger role than the fly fishing. I appreciate though that the author chose that sport in particular because it's mostly male-dominated and it's very unique.
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Not quite. Although there could obviously be another hobby to take the place of the current one, there is also something interesting about fishing. It gives you a calm mind and a natural kind of relaxation. There is nothing like it, I have enjoyed it with good friends and good wine in the mesmerizing Greek sea. Nothing relaxes your mind like that and make you one with your environment. I think the author made the right choice.
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

I agree with what everyone is saying. Yes the theme of the story would be the same, but the fly fishing aspect adds a uniqueness to the story. I didn't even know what fly fishing was!
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”