Would the story have worked as well without fly fishing?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Re: Would the story have worked as well without fly fishing?

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I think the fly fishing aspect of the book was very important. It provided a setting which really allowed the women's characters to appear strong and true to life. Additionally, it was a unique hobby which I think makes the book very interesting. I enjoyed learning more about fly fishing.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Yes but I do agree with some of the other comments here that the fly fishing would definitely have to be replaced with something or another, but I'm not sure what..
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

I feel the fly fishing worked so well, that I can’t imagine doing something else. They met Melody out in nature on a fishing trip. Sophie hooked a newish/sort of old friend back into her life—literally. Veronica used fly fishing as a metaphor for her book. Fly fishing named Rose’s dog DJ. The story is about the nature of friendship, and fly fishing physically brings it into the nature environment to grow.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It may have worked well, but I don’t think it would have worked AS well. The whole package includes the author’s presence in the work. Since Michelle obviously loves fly-fishing, her passion spills over into the work. It is woven into the fabric of the friendships. Being outdoors and by the water in particular adds a sense of serenity to the setting.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Fly fishing was important because it was outside the normal realm of interests they had and because usually flyfishers are men. I get the feeling that those two factors influenced much about their friendships and characters.
dcw
Favorite Author: Louisa May Alcott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcw.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve
fav_author_id: 332

Post by dcw »

I think that a different sport or interest could have been used. However, the art of fly fishing requires patience, persistence, and determination. All of these elements can be used to describe their relationships with one another as well. It seems like a perfect fit!
Deepa09k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Deepa09k »

This is a story about friendship and helping each other through everything. Although fly fishing is central in bringing the women together, I think it works well with any other sport or club.
But as many pointed out, the author's grip on fly fishing is what's brought the charisma to the story.
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

I think it still could have worked. friendships can be developed around anything. Even if it just sitting around a cabin talking for a whole weekend. Though the ladies would had to have found each in different ways then. I like the idea of it being a book club. Haha
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Perhaps fly fishing could have been replaced with something, but it would have had to be something outside and relaxing that would have allowed them to destress. I think that the patience of fly fishing also added an element to the story, so I think it would need to be something slow paced as well. Also, it would have to be something odd that they wouldn't have already tried because trying something new is a really important theme in the book as well.

So, I think it's possible, but I'm not sure anything would have the same effect as fly fishing does.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

In my opinion, i think fly fishing is the glue that held these characters together.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I think an outdoor sport that is calming, uncommon and requires focus can sufficiently replace fly fishing. Mountain climbing may suffice.
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by oluchiokere84 »

Yes it would, as long they still have something in common. It could be business, religion or anything.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

I think it complimented the storyline really well. Some fly fishing quotes were used metaphorically to relate to life situations. They were also used to add a touch of humor on occasions. Nonetheless, I believe if the fly fishing theme was left out, it would have to be substituted by some other activity where a group of women from different backgrounds and ages could come together to spend leisure time together to develop a strong bonding friendship such as in this book.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I do agree that fly fishing could be replaced with a lot of things. However, one of the reasons I liked this book was because I learned about something new that I didn't know before.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I think the fly fishing could definitely be replaced with something else, as I felt the focus was on their friendship and not their hobbie.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”