Spoiler Alert - How did you feel about the ending of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
User avatar
Kieran_Obrien
Posts: 87
Joined: 14 Jan 2018, 14:41
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Spoiler Alert - How did you feel about the ending of the book?

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

CommMayo wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 12:42
Kieran_Obrien wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 13:01
I started to sense that something disastrous was going to happen during the storm.. and it was as contrived as I feared. Her death was wasted on the rest of the characters too; none of them learned anything from her death really (Rose opened up about her daughter but that's not much) and nothing interesting came after it either. Shock ending with no real purpose.
Interesting. So you don't think there was any really plot purpose to her death other than to shock the reader?
Yeah I do! I didn't enjoy the book all that much leading up to the storm but even after it was all downhill like honestly nothing happened afterwards and it didn't really have any repercussions for the characters because none of them really had any kind of arc.

The author probably had grander intentions that just a shock ending but that's how it felt to me.

User avatar
Sahani Nimandra
Posts: 2045
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 22:49
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It was clearly unexpected! I certainly did not see a funeral coming!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 8395
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Library Book
Bookshelf Size: 367
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Yolimari wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 12:52
Honestly, the end of the book took me by surprise and I did not like it. It was the only thing about the book that I did not like. Yes, one could argue that she acted out of her character because she was resilient during his deployment and afterwards. She was just mad because he was thinking about leaving again to the war. I thought it was weird that she would go out like that in the middle of a big storm. I would have preferred another end. The rest of the book is beautiful.
I also didn't like the ending. It didn't ring true that Amanda would go out driving in the middle of a storm. You're absolutely right that she kept things together while Mike was on deployment so it was odd that you would run off just because of an argument. I would have rather seen a different resolution that tied in with the general friendship premise - her friends supporting her during a stressful time. The whole plotline of an old schoolmate resurfacing and showing up at her house just seemed to come out of left field, and was a silly plot device to make Mike's PTSD bubble over and cause marital problems.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

mingyums
Posts: 32
Joined: 17 Jan 2018, 14:32
Currently Reading: Sweet Mandarin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mingyums.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by mingyums »

To be honest, no, it took me by surprise but not in a good way. I do get that her acting out of character was perhaps a deliberate choice to emphasise just how upset she was but to me it just came out of nowhere. I think it's possible to set your story up for a plot twist/surprise in such a way that retains the shock factor yet has the reader thinking - 'oh yeah, now that I look back, this does make sense because of xyz and also it makes other earlier things mentioned make more sense too'.

User avatar
Clinical1
Posts: 150
Joined: 12 Feb 2018, 13:48
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

I found the end of the book to be extremely realistic. With the unexpected passing of one of their friends, the group became stronger. Their shared sense of grief brings them closer, and they expectedly continue to do what they do.

User avatar
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 8395
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Library Book
Bookshelf Size: 367
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Clinical1 wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 21:23
I found the end of the book to be extremely realistic. With the unexpected passing of one of their friends, the group became stronger. Their shared sense of grief brings them closer, and they expectedly continue to do what they do.
I can see your point. Also, with Amanda's passing, it was a way for the author to come full circle with the fly fishing theme, by comparing how each woman to parts of the fly fishing tools.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

User avatar
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1635
Joined: 22 Oct 2017, 14:19
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 135
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: THREADS A Depression Era Tale by Charlotte Whitney
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Personally, I just really hate it when you lose a character that you've become invested in during a book. I listen to a lot of audiobooks during my commute and have found myself crying while driving 70MPH because of a character dying.

User avatar
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 8395
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Library Book
Bookshelf Size: 367
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

CommMayo wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 10:41
Personally, I just really hate it when you lose a character that you've become invested in during a book. I listen to a lot of audiobooks during my commute and have found myself crying while driving 70MPH because of a character dying.
I am the same way. In this book, I thought there might be an unexpected death or serious illness. Actually, I thought Thatcher would be the one to die during the storm. I felt the author made it seem like Veronica's plane might crash; I thought the plot twist would be her husband getting killed in a car crash on the way to pick her up at the airport.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

User avatar
Kayleigh Brookes
Posts: 26
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 19:17
Currently Reading: Death, Taxes, and a Shotgun Wedding
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayleigh-brookes.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by Kayleigh Brookes »

I agree with what a few of you have already mentioned - when you're that upset about something, it's hard to know how any of us would act. I think that yes, it may have been out of her character, but I don't know if I would have acted any differently given the situation.

User avatar
ericahs
Posts: 50
Joined: 24 Feb 2018, 09:07
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

I think there's a big difference between having a surprising or shocking ending and just totally changing a character to make them fit some plot point you want to include. Wonder if this is what happened here
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.- Douglas Adams

User avatar
jamertin2963
Posts: 44
Joined: 25 Jan 2018, 21:20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamertin2963.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jamertin2963 »

Clinical1 wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 21:23
I found the end of the book to be extremely realistic. With the unexpected passing of one of their friends, the group became stronger. Their shared sense of grief brings them closer, and they expectedly continue to do what they do.
I agree. I just finished this book, and I thought that while sad, it was realistic and well done. It's incredibly difficult to readjust when a military spouse comes home, especially unexpectedly, with an injury, and having experienced the trauma of his friends being killed. While Amanda's impulsive action the night of the storm wasn't in character for the Amanda we knew through most of the book, it wasn't surprising to me given the circumstances. The author maybe could have given more depth to the experience of Amanda's husband coming home and the readjustment, that might have helped.

User avatar
kwame1977
Posts: 432
Joined: 10 Jan 2018, 14:16
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

The rule of thumb is to end a book without any spoilers. It really pains when a review is rejected because of spoiler. I have my personal experience and wouldn't encourage any reviewer to attempt using spoilers.

User avatar
Nena_Morena
Posts: 120
Joined: 19 Feb 2018, 20:39
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I really see myself in Amanda's character. I'm a soldier's wife and when he is gone for long periods of time it's hard to deal with the stress and the loneliness. People sometimes don't fully understand what you are going through and that's what I was thinking when I was reading her friends comments about her situation.
She tried to be strong for her kids, husband, and friends but she was just a volcano ready to explode.
I was very disappointed by her character's death. I would have preferred if someone else had died; maybe I'm too biased, but thinking about her family's situation I think they already went through a lot of pain.

Omohobhio
Posts: 19
Joined: 02 Nov 2017, 07:30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Omohobhio »

I really do not like the way Amanda's story ended. It just doesn#'t justify to me.

User avatar
kwame1977
Posts: 432
Joined: 10 Jan 2018, 14:16
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I have a bitter experience with a spoiler and I hope that will never happen again. The marks I had drastically pulled me down though I was then new to the review team. I have not read the book above but wish to share my experience on spoilers.

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”