Spoiler Alert - How did you feel about the ending of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Spoiler Alert - How did you feel about the ending of the book?

Post by Infinite I »

When we are stressed, we sometimes act out of character. So it's fine.
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Palfree »

I enjoyed the way that the women honored their friend. From the accident on, the book was very emotional for me. I felt bad that she died right after having a fight with her husband.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I didn't like the ending of the book, I felt like it was very unexpected and it could have ended on a happy note. What hurt the most was knowing that Amanda's children were so young and they now will grow up without their mother. Despite not liking the ending, I do understand that due to all the stress Amanda was feeling it had led to her wanting to go out that night.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I think it was interesting, as her husband was a soldier and thus the person people expected to die and then Amanda passed in a car accident, so I kind of appreciated that irony, but it was very sad.
Ariel_Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arieljmartin.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Ariel_Martin »

I feel that Amanda was in a very difficult position. It led her to a place where sometimes decisions are made without much thought. With as strong as she held herself throughout the book, I was not surprised at her decision. The outcome sure as heck surprised me though. I don't think I've had such an emotional reaction to book in a long time.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

I think she was confused and upset because of the things happening in her life that’s why she did like that.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

While I understand the reasons behind what Amanda did it seems slightly odd to me. Exposing herself like that, and rushing out into the storm didn't seem natural after she displayed patience and will power the whole book by taking care of her children and her husband. It doesn't look like something that a person with such a strong ability to face the issues life throws their way, would do.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

I think she had been raising her kids and living without her husband for so long that when he showed back up, it was difficult for both of them. Hard times makes people act differently than expected. The accident was definitely a tragedy, especially because she and her husband ended on a bad note and her kids were so little.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

It did seem out of character but it seemed understandable since she had been keeping herself and missing her husband and he had casually said that he wanted to go back. I think many of us would over react and get very upset in that situation. She was only 23 as well, so perhaps too much to handle
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

It's difficult to determine, because anger can make anyone act out of character. I think that after being away from her husband for so long it was difficult for her to adjust to him being back in their lives. Her death was so heartbreaking, I was really rooting for her.
Nama Winnie
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nama-winnie.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Nama Winnie »

Snowflake wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 08:50 I can see where you're coming from bookowlie. A part of me just thinks it would have been enough for her to run outside in the storm. I think, that no matter how mad I might be with my husband, I would think twice before driving off angrily in a storm. Amanda seems like such a great mom that it makes me think that those thoughts would run through her head too....
I totally agree with you here. I honestly didn't see her dying, the worst I thought would happen was having matching slings with the husband.

I feel like the author killed off the most developed character, she was handling everything and determined not to slack off on any of her relationships. Honestly, I was exhausted reading about everything she was doing.

The author should have killed somebody else.
baldgi84
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Fulfilment
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baldgi84.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by baldgi84 »

It was a sad and unexpected ending. I would have liked to read more about Amanda's family after her death.
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

It was out of character but showed her humanity in her lack of good judgement. They were barely able to get back home, why would she not think it was a bad idea to drive back into that disaster? But she was emotional, which is ironic given the fact that her passing would cause a lot of emotional turmoil for her family in the book.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Jae_27
Currently Reading: The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jae-27.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jae_27 »

At first Amanda's reaction did seem out of character but I believe it was just due to the high tension. Between walking on eggshells with mike's PTSD, her ex showing up and then feeling like her husband would be so far away, in danger, by choice she was overwhelmed and had to get out of the house. When people reach a breaking point the often act "out of character"
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

The book ended on very plain, calm and satisfying note. Even though Amanda's death was a shock the ending was done admirably.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”