Do the women represent the specific types of friend each woman should have?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Re: Do the women represent the specific types of friend each woman should have?

Post by TashaCrispin »

I think what the author was trying to put across was the importance of having different characters in your closest social circle. This helps us grow in different aspects. Sharing of different opinions makes us aware of our surroundings. He based the characters on stereotypical beliefs but real life friends are more than that.

We do not have to go out there and start to pick our friends. We just have to try to understand acquaintances of different sorts which will bring them to the friendship circle.

It's been hard for me to let people in but of late I've been trying. I just do not like surrounding myself with fake friends. Most are.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

While diversity is good, there are certain boundaries that should not be crossed. I have a few friends from different backgrounds but it is not the diverse qualities that cause us to bond. It is rather the ability to work through these qualities and still maintain good relationships.
Rameen Shahid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rameen-shahid.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Rameen Shahid »

Yes, women do befriend women of distinguishing characteristics but only for the reason of similar traits they find in each other because change is too hard a thing to accept too soon.
While being an Amanda yourself, you would and wouldn't want to befriend a Veronica depending on HOW you view her and your life. If you strive to become like her, free-spirited and haven't lost hope, you would befriend her for the heck of it! but if it's vice versa you'd probably be too jealous to befriend a woman as successful as Veronica.
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

As the author, I know that I would not be the same person without my women friends. I have been blessed to have multiple, authentic women friendships throughout my life. The relationships ebb and flow over time, but all of them are just a phone call away. <3 ~Michelle Cummings
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

bookowlie wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 00:18 Honestly, why do we need "certain" types of friends? It's wonderful to just have friends you feel comfortable with, feel a connection to, can laugh with, and relax with. It shouldn't matter what personality traits they have, what age they are, etc.
I completely agree with this! I don't need my life to be like Sex in the City or a novel that needs a variety of characters to make it interesting. I hate confrontation, so spending time with people who don't click with me just sounds like a chore. Plus, I would never go out and see someone who's a different race, age, social status, etc. and think, "Wow, I don't have someone like them in my friend group. I should be befriend them!" That's just ridiculous.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

katiesquilts wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 18:41
bookowlie wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 00:18 Honestly, why do we need "certain" types of friends? It's wonderful to just have friends you feel comfortable with, feel a connection to, can laugh with, and relax with. It shouldn't matter what personality traits they have, what age they are, etc.
I completely agree with this! I don't need my life to be like Sex in the City or a novel that needs a variety of characters to make it interesting. I hate confrontation, so spending time with people who don't click with me just sounds like a chore. Plus, I would never go out and see someone who's a different race, age, social status, etc. and think, "Wow, I don't have someone like them in my friend group. I should be befriend them!" That's just ridiculous.
I also agree. The Chinese have a curse, they say "May you live in interesting times". Life is better when it's a little uninteresting. Thus it's fine for my circle of friends to not have so much diversity. Do not misunderstand me, I have nothing against diversity but I wouldn't actively search for it.
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

I agree with having different types of friends, I have some friends who are prude, some are open-minded, some are well educated, some are not... Every single one of them has been being on my side, gave me valuable lessons and gave different aspects of life.
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

I don't know about "should" but I personally find it helpful to have female friends who have strengths in different area, or have different dominant personality traits.
rusalka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rusalka.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by rusalka »

It’s probably only natural that someone who is out and about in the world would end up with their own Rose or Sophie. It can be very beneficial to surround yourself with different people with different interests and ideas, it helps you grow as a person. Personally, I can say I feel very blessed to have different and inspiring ladies in my life to keep me in check and show me new horizons. :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Women in general seek out more intimate friendships than men. I am blessed with friends that challenge my beliefs, friends that support my dreams, and friends who are fiercely loyal to me. These are things my personality type needs to be complete. Other personality types probably seek out others to complement them. I have also found great joy in getting to know people who are very different than myself. We have much to learn from each other.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Lest92 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 14:28 I have acquaintances, but no real friends, though I think that having these archetypal friends around might be good for me. Nevertheless, one is lucky if one finds new friends in adulthood, since everyone starts getting set in their ways and more focused on their husbands, careers, and kids at this stage. Friendship like this kind seems to become an afterthought, if at all.
I totally get it. It's the same for me. Once I've left the office, made dinner, checked homeworks and driven kids around, done laundry and (hopefully) read a few pages of a book, it's always past ten. Where do I even find time for friendships? It speaks volume that the only person I can call "friend" lives 6000 miles away. That's how far I had to virtually go to find someone who encapsulates all the friendship categories I need to remain mentally sane.
Berry :wine:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am able to answer the question from the point of being in a woman's shoe but I believe that having friends of different personality types always helps one a lot.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

teacherjh wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 13:07 Women in general seek out more intimate friendships than men. I am blessed with friends that challenge my beliefs, friends that support my dreams, and friends who are fiercely loyal to me. These are things my personality type needs to be complete. Other personality types probably seek out others to complement them. I have also found great joy in getting to know people who are very different than myself. We have much to learn from each other.
This is absolutely true. Having different personality types in your circle of friends will help one to learn a lot about how they view or approach issues in life.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Having friends of different personalities is not a bad thing. God created us with different personalities. However i wouldnt let another persons bad influnce lead me to doing things that i would regret later on
Samantha333
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha333.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Samantha333 »

This is definitely an interesting thought! I’m going to reflect a while on this topic.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”