Do the women represent the specific types of friend each woman should have?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Do the women represent the specific types of friend each woman should have?

Post by SammiArch »

That is an interesting perspective and I do agree. I think that if you look at a groups of women who are friends, there are most likely at least a few of the same typical personalities. I think people don't necessarily realize it but they do all fulfil the same basic needs in their friendships and those needs are usually the same (ex the funny one, the flirty one, the nice one, etc)
Sammi Arch
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Certainly not, as friends should not be chosen by being a type. Most certainly the ideal friend should perhaps be a combination of the types so she may be a nurturer, sometimes a leader and at other times she allows you to help her when in need. Too great a dependence on a girlfriend to solve one's problem will soon be a lopsided relationship that will be doomed to fail.
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

I see so many different ranges of friends from single and partying to more calm and mom-like friends and even friends who are incredibly religious and conservative. No friend is the same, we are all different in this world but I find it fascinating about the types of friends we end up being drawn to, especially since a lot of mine are nothing like me.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

That depends really. Different women may have their own ideas of what types of friends they should have. Personally, two of my friends, who happen to be twins, fit the caretaker who often puts others' needs over their own. I have another friend who does that too, but is also very artsy.
Chanti Stargirl
Currently Reading: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanti-stargirl.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Chanti Stargirl »

I think there are certainly advantages to having a friendship circle that encompasses many different personalities. It may not be necessary but it does encourage growth and learning. I applaud the author for her portrayal for the friendships in this book.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Other than 'fly fishing', I'm not sure what the author was attempting to illustrate to us the readers. But I certainly have a Rose and Veronica in my life and not too many Sophies, Amandas and Melodys as a similar range of personalities within my network.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

There are no specific types of friends that each woman should have. One's personality determines the kind of friends she should have. Well, some people don't have any friends...only acquaintances.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 15:29 It's the fly fishing that got everybody together, not that each planned to have specific personalities to be friends with. In my own life, I can identify a Rose, a Veronica, an Amanda, and a Melody. I think I'm a Sophie. Friends are a necessity in this harried world we live in. My friends and I can't afford an expensive hobby, but a videoke night would make a memorable reunion. (Just make sure you have enough mikes.)
I love this comment! I can identify a few of my friends with similar personalities to those in the book as well.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

CommMayo wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 13:54
Because of my personality, I've always gravitated towards being friends with men. I don't like shopping, make up, or sitting around talking about "female" things. I'm generally better friends with my husband's friends than I am with their wives. I just have always just clicked with men more. It hasn't been until my 30's that I've started gravitating towards more friendships with other women.
I am very much like you. I tend to relate more with men. My husband gets along with women better. Who says we have to have a specific type of friend. I have many - both men and women. All ages, backgrounds, races, etc.
I have friends who are like me and I have friends who are very opposite. A mix is nice because those who are like you can relate to you. Those who are different than you can help you see another perspective. I guess the most important thing is to have people you can do life with.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Having friends with these personality archetypes will be harder for me. I am an introvert, so having a lot of different friends isn't part of who I am.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

Great question! I don't know if it is necessarily types of friendships that a woman "should" have or rather friendships that a woman "could" have. I think it is great that the author included such a variety in personalities and backgrounds for each of these women. It shows that even unlikely of people can find something in common and become very close friends. The group as a whole works so well because they each bring something unique to it.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I think we should simply have friends we care about instead of trying to think about people as "types of friends one should have". Just be friends with who you get along with instead of classifying people by types, I'd say.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

I think the writer just wanted a good range of friends. Any ideal “perfect balance” will likely have some people that don’t agree or that would more comfortable with a different gathering of friends. In this story, sometimes it felt the situation was biggest differentiator of the characters in the group. There personal thoughts generally went back to the same situations. Sophie called V a city girl and Veronica used the label herself. Aside from Melody with inner conflict of “to do this or not to do this” and constant language in thought or mouth, I wonder if the first four reel sisters could switch roles and essentially be the same person, as their new situation would dictate.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I think the type of bond these women created is very unique. It's not likely many people have the opportunity to have a group of friends like this. However, I do think that many people might have different types of friends from different activities. Everyone needs an older, wiser friend to guide them, a friend that supports them and takes care of them, and a friend to bring out their wild side.
Sufi_khan
Favorite Book: The Da Vinci Code
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sufi-khan.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Sufi_khan »

Having different personalities in your circle of friends is nice, but not always possible. Being a woman belonging to Eastern culture and background, but a full-time career in healthcare and kids ranging from teenagers to young children meant I had no time to nurture friendships. I realize what a blessing friends are. Friendships happen spontaneously but need active effort and time, like the characters in the story have for each other.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”