Who is your favourite and/or least favourite Reel Sister and why?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Who is your favourite and/or least favourite Reel Sister and why?

Post by R-g-R »

You may love or hate some of the Reel Sisters.
I’d love to hear who and why.
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

I’m guessing this may be contentious and even I may change my opinion, but so far, having just read the first few chapters, I have found Rose the most annoying! I know....probably you all love her :)
But who has time, energy and the cash to do all the lovely, individual things for each of the Reel Sisters?! Maybe this reflects more on me but in our current economic climate I found it difficult to relate to her. Maybe it means that deep down I wish I had a Rose in my life?
I’ll be fascinated to see if my opinion changes throughout my reading.

What do you think?
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

I did have the passing thought that it would be nice to have the time that Rose did to make those lovely quilts and the energy and spirit to offer my home so easily to others.
peace starts with a smile...
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

Snowflake wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 08:53 I did have the passing thought that it would be nice to have the time that Rose did to make those lovely quilts and the energy and spirit to offer my home so easily to others.
Apart from that you loved them all? :) Who was your favourite?
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

My favorite Reel Sister was probably Sophie. I admired her ability to take risks, such as moving by herself to another state at a fairly young age and starting a business on her own. Also, it was realistic that she found it difficult to move forward in romance since her heart had been broken years earlier. I pretty much liked all of the women, but I did find Veronica's character to be a little too perfect - always "together," successful job, perfect husband, etc.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Snowflake wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 08:53 I did have the passing thought that it would be nice to have the time that Rose did to make those lovely quilts and the energy and spirit to offer my home so easily to others.
I feel like we all know someone like that. I mean, don't they ever sleep? I know I need some couch time for myself after a long day at work!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I also liked Sophie most, too. She is practical/hands on in her dealings. She joined Rose, then brought Amanda and Veronica to the sisterhood. She is the one who went the extra mile to visit and babysit for Amanda during her trying moment. She is the one who went to look for Melody at short notice. She sure walks the talk!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Yes Sophie is pretty much hands on and reliable. Such characters are always selfless as well. So to me she gets the accolades.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

My favorite character would be Melody because i found her journey to be more complete and fulfilling than the others. Melody comes across as a quintessential millennial , thrust with parental expectation that leaves her estranged with them. With no financial worries , being a gifted prodigy things must have come easily to her ; not to mention a chalked out life by her parents for her to join Julliard. Quite understandably this tailored life bores her , building frustration in her mind, egging her to rebel against her parents choices for her. As a resentment and act of rebellion she renounces music and chooses photography. As she herself confesses photography allows her to have greater control over her life. She can delete the pictures . She is a self confessed introvert who prefers the anonymity of the online interaction to the real life human overtures ( much like a millennial) . With the help of Rose she discovers to be aware and adapt ; to make connections and release . She values having a connection with someone other than herself and gains to confidence to make her own choices with guilt ; pave a unique path doing all that she loves mixing music and photography . She in my opinion is the most well developed round character in the book. The character i didnt enjoy much was Veronica as I felt Cummings didn't show all her facets leaving her rather flat and boring .
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I liked Amanda the most. Her life story was the most touching, and she was the underdog. What can I say? I always root for the underdog.

I found Veronica's story the least relatable. She just had everything too perfect, including a husband who worshipped her! (I'm just envious, I guess!)
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

My favorite was Rose because she is wise, caring, and witty. She shares her cabin with her friends and makes them quilts. She listens to them and makes witty remarks. Seemed to me she was a role model.

Overall, I liked all of them. However, I thought Melody was odd, and sometimes, I was put off by Sophie’s negative attitude.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
ssmithy
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssmithy.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ssmithy »

I keep going back and forth between Sophie and Rose. I enjoyed Sophie's enthusiasm and friendliness in the beginning and I envy her ability to bring people together with her passions. I also love that she just seems to take life by the horns and create her own life. I also feel like everyone needs a Rose in their life though. She was so caring and giving to her friends, both in quilts and words of wisdom.
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 17:37 My favorite character would be Melody because i found her journey to be more complete and fulfilling than the others. Melody comes across as a quintessential millennial , thrust with parental expectation that leaves her estranged with them. With no financial worries , being a gifted prodigy things must have come easily to her ; not to mention a chalked out life by her parents for her to join Julliard. Quite understandably this tailored life bores her , building frustration in her mind, egging her to rebel against her parents choices for her. As a resentment and act of rebellion she renounces music and chooses photography. As she herself confesses photography allows her to have greater control over her life. She can delete the pictures . She is a self confessed introvert who prefers the anonymity of the online interaction to the real life human overtures ( much like a millennial) . With the help of Rose she discovers to be aware and adapt ; to make connections and release . She values having a connection with someone other than herself and gains to confidence to make her own choices with guilt ; pave a unique path doing all that she loves mixing music and photography . She in my opinion is the most well developed round character in the book. The character i didnt enjoy much was Veronica as I felt Cummings didn't show all her facets leaving her rather flat and boring .
Wow! What great insights :)
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

Miriam Molina wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 23:26 I liked Amanda the most. Her life story was the most touching, and she was the underdog. What can I say? I always root for the underdog.

I found Veronica's story the least relatable. She just had everything too perfect, including a husband who worshipped her! (I'm just envious, I guess!)
Haha, love your honesty! I tend to like the underdog too, compared those with perfect lives :)
R-g-R

Post by R-g-R »

Yolimari wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 23:42 My favorite was Rose because she is wise, caring, and witty. She shares her cabin with her friends and makes them quilts. She listens to them and makes witty remarks. Seemed to me she was a role model.

Overall, I liked all of them. However, I thought Melody was odd, and sometimes, I was put off by Sophie’s negative attitude.
I appreciate the realness of your comments. Even though we may like them there can certainly be characteristics or personality foibles and flaws that can be annoying. It’s true for life, too!

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”