What can readers learn about friendship through this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Re: What can readers learn about friendship through this book?

Post by CommMayo »

cristinaro wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 05:36 Call me a cynical, but I have serious doubts about the existence of friendship as a relationship based on both giving and receiving. In books such as this one, friends are portrayed as a wonderful asset with whom you share both your joys and sorrows. In real life, you seem to share more of our joys than of your sorrows. :) I've seen the book is quoted as a possible instrument for women empowerment in a society which still clings on a patriarchal view of the world. It's refreshing to see some people have not lost hope in a better world. After a few waves of feminism and reading about and travelling to Middle Eastern countries, I have my personal reservations. To end optimistically, let's say there is still hope as long as there are books like this one advocating the importance of friendship and of mutual respect between women.
I think one of the true tests of a friendship is the ability to fully share your sorrows. It is easy to be friends when everything is going well, but a true friend is the one who comes to your father's funeral or shows up with a bottle of Jack when you are having a miscarriage.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I think, the book is all about friendship and sacrifice and altruism to save a girl.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
writtenbetweenthelin
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by writtenbetweenthelin »

The book made me thinking about my of friendships. And those which had gone wrong... It tells a lot about the power if friendship.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

I loved the way this book handled friendships. They aren't easy and in life they do change. I mean, we change so it's expected dynamics will need to adjust. But I love that a common interest allows the friendships to develop and grow.

Some of my closest friends are my fitness friends. We compete with each other and against each other. Fitness is part of who we are as individuals, it's part of our identity so it becomes easy to relate with one another and drive one another. It's the same way with the characters in the book. That common interest, that part of who we are, can help foster friendships when life gets tougher (and we get older).
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I don't really have many friends, and I would go so far as to say that I don't have any really good ones. This book shows me that you can cultivate good friends through a shared hobby, so this is something I'm definitely going to have to look into. Now I just need a hobby that I can share with others. Any suggestions?
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

True friends dont come easy but true friendships are relationships with reciprocity. Its not about keeping your debts slate clean, its about sharing and weathering the ups and downs of life together.
Its always easier to stay in touch with your friends when things are going well, sharing pain can be difficult and may feel embassing. Sometimes we withdraw to protect the self when things go wrong but this is when we most need our friends; friends like the Reel Sisters.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

True friends dont come easy but true friendships are relationships with reciprocity of feelings. Its not about keeping your debts slate clean, its about sharing and weathering the ups and downs of life together.
Its always easier to stay in touch with your friends when things are going well, sharing pain can be difficult and may feel embassing. Sometimes we withdraw to protect the self when things go wrong but this is when we most need our friends; friends like the Reel Sisters.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

People often come from different backgrounds and meet in forums or even different circumstances. While some connect easily through just a conversation that runs deep eventually translating into friendship, others would be a case of assistance from a stranger that turned someone's life for the better. The Reel sisters story has this important incident. And of course, there are great lessons to learn about maintaining great friendships.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

I feel that the moral could be that real friendships stand the test of time, but in order to accomplish that, both parties have to be willing to put in the same amount of effort. Just like with any relationship, it takes two.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

CommMayo wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:29
cristinaro wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 05:36 Call me a cynical, but I have serious doubts about the existence of friendship as a relationship based on both giving and receiving. In books such as this one, friends are portrayed as a wonderful asset with whom you share both your joys and sorrows. In real life, you seem to share more of our joys than of your sorrows. :) I've seen the book is quoted as a possible instrument for women empowerment in a society which still clings on a patriarchal view of the world. It's refreshing to see some people have not lost hope in a better world. After a few waves of feminism and reading about and travelling to Middle Eastern countries, I have my personal reservations. To end optimistically, let's say there is still hope as long as there are books like this one advocating the importance of friendship and of mutual respect between women.
I think one of the true tests of a friendship is the ability to fully share your sorrows. It is easy to be friends when everything is going well, but a true friend is the one who comes to your father's funeral or shows up with a bottle of Jack when you are having a miscarriage.
You're perfectly right. I wish I had more friends like these.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

babathoust wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 09:12 We don't have to feel like we are obligated to be friends with others. Sometimes friendships get toxic because we cannot always be on the same page as humans. If a group of persons term themselves as friends, it is best to have a different common activity that makes them have to recollect again and share their love for, in this case fly fishing, and by the end of the day all the differences may be tackled beyond human weaknesses.
I like this answer. I recently experienced in getting out of a friendship because it became too toxic because we were not on the same page anymore. Sadly, we never found our own "fly fishing". Still, this book made me realize that we should put effort for the people we love.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

Even before coming across this novel, I knew it's not the quantity of friends that matter but the quality of those who are around you to be called as friends. And this novel explains the same thing.
-R
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This book reinforces the idea that friendships take intentionality and work, and they don’t always click immediately. Sophie called Amanda many times before she was able to go fishing - so with me it has turned out that my best friends are those I’ve worked hardest to gain.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

briellejee wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 09:17
babathoust wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 09:12 We don't have to feel like we are obligated to be friends with others. Sometimes friendships get toxic because we cannot always be on the same page as humans. If a group of persons term themselves as friends, it is best to have a different common activity that makes them have to recollect again and share their love for, in this case fly fishing, and by the end of the day all the differences may be tackled beyond human weaknesses.
I like this answer. I recently experienced in getting out of a friendship because it became too toxic because we were not on the same page anymore. Sadly, we never found our own "fly fishing". Still, this book made me realize that we should put effort for the people we love.
True, even besides a "fly fishing" some effort must be put to save friendships meant to last long.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

The Reel Sisters taught me about the need true friendships. It's striking how the bond of this women was so strong.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”