What can readers learn about friendship through this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: What can readers learn about friendship through this book?

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I related to the fact that all of the women were from different backgrounds and different ages. That's the way most of my friends are. I don't have friends that are all my age or from the same kind of background that I have. Friendships will always go through tough times. The ones that continue even when times are rough are the ones to keep.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I personally have a very small circle of friends and I believe this book helps people to understand that you may have 100 firends but when you need help at 2 am in the morning their isn't but a handful you'd really call. And truth of the matter is that those few and your quality friends.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

In all honesty, this book highlighted to me that I yearn for friendship from other women, but in all actuality, I have very few (if any) strong friendships. New life goal: create, build, and sustain friendships.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

Quinto wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 09:01 That friends are as rare as a rare sport. Maybe that's why these friends are willing to reveal something about their unique personalities through the bonds they share.
I love that you made this parallel. How very true. ~Michelle Cummings
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I've learnt that what keeps a friendship together has less to do with the obvious things people have in common, and more to do with abstract things like a common spirit - such as our love and attachment to a sport, an ideology or a belief. It is our spirit that binds us, not our character, intellect or social circumstances.
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

I usually pushed people away. I would always make anyone who tries to come closer an acquaintance. This book has motivated me to work on my social circle and cultivate some friendships.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

KasieMiehlke wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 21:44 This has changed my opinion on friendship. It makes me realize I need to put in more effort with the friends that I have. I think people can learn that it isn't the quantity of friends that you have, but the quality. I personally related to the way that a simple hobby bonded all these ladies.
Well said. Quality over quantity also applies to friendships.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

MollyEnter wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 01:04 In all honesty, this book highlighted to me that I yearn for friendship from other women, but in all actuality, I have very few (if any) strong friendships. New life goal: create, build, and sustain friendships.
I do have few friends too, but number does not matter to me as long as I know who my true friends are.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Dr Zain A Blade wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 10:26 I've learnt that what keeps a friendship together has less to do with the obvious things people have in common, and more to do with abstract things like a common spirit - such as our love and attachment to a sport, an ideology or a belief. It is our spirit that binds us, not our character, intellect or social circumstances.
Your absolute right! Having the same belief will build friendships stronger.
– Francis Chan

See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

EricaWilson wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 23:47 This book shows that friends make life a lot easier. It is important to cherish the time you have with them and show them gratitude.
I agree. It is easy to make friends but it is hard to maintain true friendships, one that will last until the end.
– Francis Chan

See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

True friends are those who will be with you as you encounter greatest trials in life.

I'm not after having many friends, in fact I only have a few. What is important is a true friend is someone who will support, encourage, comfort, and even rebuke you when you are wrong.

It's the quality of friendship that counts the most not the quantity.
– Francis Chan

ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

EveS523 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 08:04 I think it is imperative to have a core group of friends that you can completely rely on. People who will not judge you for your faults. Who will support you through hard times, laugh during happy times. This book really supports and emphasizes those friendships.
I agree. It is a wonderful idea to have people outside of family that know you and are there for you to listen, talk and learn with you. It is nice to have someone to lean on and to have someone outside the box give you insight that you may have never even thought about. It is true, unfortunately, that friends do come and go but those who stick around are the ones who mean something more than those who left.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 00:47 True friends are those who will be with you as you encounter greatest trials in life.

I'm not after having many friends, in fact I only have a few. What is important is a true friend is someone who will support, encourage, comfort, and even rebuke you when you are wrong.

It's the quality of friendship that counts the most not the quantity.
I agree. A true friend will come over at 2am and shake you silly because you need it. A true friend, in this day and age, is a rare thing to have.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

People generally become friends by meeting through some activity that they are involved in (school, sports, etc) and have in common. That's how I've always met my friends and so I can relate to bonding with them over an activity (in the case of this piece of writing it was fishing). I also really enjoyed and related to having this one specific group of friends that you know you can count on
morenikeji100
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele

Post by morenikeji100 »

To be sincere, I don't have friends, because I always try to avoid clash arguments, but seeing different comments about the book, I think I'll also read it. It's definitely my types. 5 women from different backgrounds who came together as friends, it's really motivaing, educating, and inspiring. I'll recommend it to everyone.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”