What can readers learn about friendship through this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Re: What can readers learn about friendship through this book?

Post by Jgideon »

I have learned that we all have to invest in our friendships in many different ways such as time, effort, and thoughts. Friendships just don't just happen, they are built with time and dedication.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Giving more time to the friend, thus building more attachment towards him or her and also keeping up to the trust would make good friend as depicted in this story
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Ayomaamianda
Favorite Book: Twisted Threads
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomaamianda.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ayomaamianda »

True friendship is a gift that should be cherished and appreciated. Have learned to treasure my friends.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

We can get more knowledge by critically studying the behaviors our friends sometimes put up.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
AnitaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by AnitaM »

Yes, I agree with many of the other responses here. Friendship is extremely valuable and I should probably put in more time and effort to maintain those important relationships! Really makes you think!
isa3030
Currently Reading: Just in Time
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by isa3030 »

this book taught me the need to attack great value to friendship,even my wife is my friend.it is unfortunate people relates with friends only in a difficult time
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

As I get older I realize that I don’t have many friends and I don’t think I’ve had a good friendship since high school and that’s a long time ago. I feel I have to explore the reasons behind this.....as this book points out-friendships are so important and are a vital aspect to our lives.
GKerr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkerr.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by GKerr »

I can relate a lot to the friendships in this narrative. I myself have a small but close group of friends that I have met through university and work and I would not be where I am now without them. This book promotes the vital importance of friendship within life and how critical they are as a support system.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

"The Reel Sisters", I find is not just about the power of friendship, but also applicable life lessons as I relate to the challenges of being a one-parent family household, as well as the fear of loosing the reigns to let someone in, all the while maybe attempting 'fly fishing' with my biological sisters to build a greater friendship (a better bond).
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Strong relationships are so important. And I have always thought that from when I was in elemenatry school all the way through to now. When I had a great group of girlfriends to now not really having any. Only because we are all on different paths that don't connect. Our bond is always there, but the relationship is differnet. Right now, I'm at a stage, where I feel like I don't have many friends locally. That's why, I'm going to start breaking out into to things that interest me. That's how friendships start. Something to bond over. (I haven't read this, yet. However, it seems that's how their friendship began?).
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

Friendship is all about being there for one another and growing together in whatever we do. Life without friends can be so stagnant.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

While they learn to be authentic and real with each other we have the opportunity to watch them open up and truly share their lives. We learn not only how to, but also how not to share our feelings.
Just a few things I noticed through watching them interact.
1. Trust your friends.
2. Share your feelings.
3. Don't bottle things up.
4. Say what you are thinking no matter how silly you might feel.
5. Tell the truth.
6. At some time or another you are going to have to trust someone.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

KasieMiehlke wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 21:44 This has changed my opinion on friendship. It makes me realize I need to put in more effort with the friends that I have. I think people can learn that it isn't the quantity of friends that you have, but the quality. I personally related to the way that a simple hobby bonded all these ladies.
I feel the same way. Strong friendships seem to develop over the love of something mutual.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
happynessc0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happynessc0.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by happynessc0 »

I learned that I should treasure my friends. I truly feel guilty about this cause I usually don’t invest time with my friends. The book tells readers that having few and valued friends are really important in making a better life.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Thus far, while reading this book I believe that things that can be learned about friendship are:

It does not matter the age, color, social status, creed, religion or anything other than finding comfort in an individual,

You never know when, where or how you will meet someone and in them form a lifelong sisterly bond,

That friendship is serious, fun, warm, compassionate and there for you whenever you need it.
Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”