What can readers learn about friendship through this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Re: What can readers learn about friendship through this book?

Post by Yoli García »

I really loved how the author portrayed the strong bond of friendship and sisterhood among the women. I believe that kind of friendship exists but it is rare. Women need to support each other more like that. I think the book offers the readers a great example of what friendship means and how it can work wonderfully.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Why not? ...I do strongly feel the book strongly advocates feminism. To quote from own review of the book :
"The book is explicitly gynocentric celebrating the female bonds and women as a natural nurturer. The male characters are all relegated to the periphery merely functioning as appendages to the central characters. In fact, in a very subtle way the author champions gender fluidity in the characters of Thatcher who dons the role of a chef and a homemaker to a globetrotting entrepreneur spouse and Mike who is now forced to don the role of a single parent. This is a conscious reversal of the traditional male gender roles. The negation of gender stereotyping in reiterated in a casual conversation between the characters to remove the suffix man from the word ‘fisherman’ and thereby neutralize the gender associations. The reference to Dame Julianna Berners who wrote a book on fish flying in the 1400 in the mans world and claiming that women have better listening, patience and observation to fly fish better than men all seem to allude or call for a change in the world around us from being too androcentric."

I would personally like you to read my review (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56138)
...so we can discuss more on your take...did u review the book as well...I would love to read it too... :P
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that this book makes us realize that you do not need to have a lot of friends to be happy. I think that with social media people believe that more friends and more likes makes them happier. This book shows that doing something like fly fishing can bring people together.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

It made me grateful for the friends I have in my life and even more glad that I have taken the time to nurture these relationships-'my tribe'
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Quite a lot actually. I believe the book's main focus was on that and how a person should handle it rather than sole focus on four women having a time of their lives. It was all about what they had. We can see that when Rose spoke out about her daughter's death which was kept secret brought to light and how the girls reached and comfort her. That's what friendship is all about been there for both happy and sad times.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

KasieMiehlke wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 21:44 This has changed my opinion on friendship. It makes me realize I need to put in more effort with the friends that I have. I think people can learn that it isn't the quantity of friends that you have, but the quality. I personally related to the way that a simple hobby bonded all these ladies.
Your comment is spot on (especially the last sentence). The book teaches, transiently, how to build quality relationships that is mutually beneficial.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I was able to relate to having strong friendships that start through a shared hobby. Other types of friendships are sometimes situational such as having friends in the workplace or in the neighborhood. Those types of friendships sometimes drift if you change jobs or move to another neighborhood. I can't really say this book changed the way I view friendship. Still, the story was a good depiction of how friends are supportive through good times and bad, and lift your spirits through light-hearted gatherings.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Friends are selected, family isn't but I've been so blessed so be lucky in both.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

We all need friends and above all, we should learn how to keep them.
Iamsofia
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamsofia.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Iamsofia »

The book taught me to friendship is a very strong bond. It also taught me the need of having female to empower women.I adore my friends so much more
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Iamsofia wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:32 The book taught me to friendship is a very strong bond. It also taught me the need of having female to empower women.I adore my friends so much more
I agree with you. These discussions have helped me to realize that I need to put in more effort building my relationships with female friends.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

I can not imagine life without my friends. It is one of the aspects of this book that I like, friendship.
Iamsofia
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamsofia.html

Post by Iamsofia »

eBookreviewer wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 14:42 I can not imagine life without my friends. It is one of the aspects of this book that I like, friendship.
True. I'm now putting more efforts in building a stronger relationship with my friends, especially my girlfriends.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Call me a cynical, but I have serious doubts about the existence of friendship as a relationship based on both giving and receiving. In books such as this one, friends are portrayed as a wonderful asset with whom you share both your joys and sorrows. In real life, you seem to share more of our joys than of your sorrows. :) I've seen the book is quoted as a possible instrument for women empowerment in a society which still clings on a patriarchal view of the world. It's refreshing to see some people have not lost hope in a better world. After a few waves of feminism and reading about and travelling to Middle Eastern countries, I have my personal reservations. To end optimistically, let's say there is still hope as long as there are books like this one advocating the importance of friendship and of mutual respect between women.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I could personally relate to how these women valued their friendships. I know I value my girlfriends and treat them as my own sisters. So, that was definitely beautiful for me :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”