Random Ways the Characters Became Friends

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Random Ways the Characters Became Friends

Post by bookowlie »

Babthoust, I see your point. I guess I don't think of those types of connections as real friendship. I view them as acquaintances, business associates, casual contacts, etc. You're right that many people form these connections to benefit themselves, usually for work reasons.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Kieran_Obrien wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 13:13
BookishCreature wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 14:04 Some friendships made more sense than others. I could totally understand Sophie and Veronica bonding over a long flight and staying friends afterwards, but I found it really strange that Melody just fit right into the group as if she'd always been there. I don't know how she was that comfortable with four complete strangers.
I do think the author did a good job of capturing Melody's awkwardness when she was first introduced, but I think it was a small jump for her to stay behind with Rose and learn fly fishing when the others left. I related to Melody's loner personality and feel like she would've been far too shy and nervous to stay with a complete stranger for a few days to learn a sport she previously had no interest in. Just a nitpick though!
That's a good point but I felt Melody and Rose clicked because of Melody's loneliness. Not sure that she had a loner personality as much as a loneliness she was trying to mask. She seemed more comfortable with one on one.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

POtt3ry - Interesting points. Melody certainly had an offbeat personality. How many people would go off by themselves to a river and photograph themselves naked in the water?! I'm not sure if she was lonely; she seemed comfortable with being alone, which made her more of a loner or introvert. I agree she was more comfortable with one on one interactions. She seemed a little socially awkward in a group.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

bookowlie wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 10:51 Babthoust, I see your point. I guess I don't think of those types of connections as real friendship. I view them as acquaintances, business associates, casual contacts, etc. You're right that many people form these connections to benefit themselves, usually for work reasons.
Yes. Acquaintances is appropriate. Thank you bookowlie for that enlightenment.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I liked the way the women became friends. Its often happened that a chance meeting with someone and the discovery that you share a common interest might serve to strengthen bonds. Sophie and Veronica met on a flight, bonded and stayed friends because Veronica was interested in fly fishing and kept in touch. Sophie could have mentioned the sport to a whole lot of other people as well who weren't as interested and didn't end up "friends"
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

I love meeting friends in random ways! It keeps things fresh. I do think it's interesting they all happen to have or to develop the exact same and very specific interest.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.- Douglas Adams
BookInspector300
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookinspector300.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BookInspector300 »

I agree that the way some of the characters became friends was too fast and unbelievable but it depends on a person's character, I guess.
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

bookowlie wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 12:05 The main characters in this story became friends from random meetings. With one exception, their first meetings had nothing to do with fly fishing. I didn't think it was realistic that so many of the characters would meet and become "instant" friends due to random meetings. Still, I guess people sometimes will meet someone this way and want to become friends with them for various reasons. Give an example of how two of the characters meet and why it might be realistic for them to instantly become friends, given their personalities, the circumstances, etc.
Quick friendships are such a tricky thing in books. Yes, they do happen, but so often, they seem like an easy out. I really want to see the development of a friendship, or if it is already established, to learn something about its progression. No relationship is static, and the movement, however subtle, is what makes it interesting and real.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

One thing I tend to dislike in certain books: unrealistic outcomes. Although friendships can be "instafriendships", that's not always the case. Especially when it happens again and again and again. C'mon! I agree with Miriam, we need to nurture the friendships. I don't believe in coincidences either and I have made good friends from random moments. But for storyline sake-- if it's happening more than just a few times, I can't say I find that realistic.
Tsundoku_diva
Currently Reading: Raising Catholic Children
Bookshelf Size: 1074

Post by Tsundoku_diva »

CommMayo wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 14:02 I actually had a great friendship start at a conference. I overheard the woman say that she just moved from out of state to an area where I work. I struck up a conversation and she asked me to call her to be friends. I did, our husbands thought we were crazy, and we've been friends ever since. I think it take a special kind of personality to do that kind of thing, but it can work!
This kind of approach is easy for friendly, outgoing and extroverted individuals hehe!
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:40 I too think that some of the friendships were "quick." However, I've had friendships where we connected during our first meeting. Actually, our closest friends are ones we met walking up the street when our kids were little. We stood in their front yard, watching the kids play together, for a couple of hours. That night, we got together for pizza. During that first year, we spent Thanksgiving together, the first of many holidays together. We no longer live near each other, but 25 years later, they are still our best friends. It really did start that quick.
I agree that the relationships were quick, but I thought it fit the book.

That said, I echo CatInTheHat's point about how quickly relationships can form in real-life. The randomness of who is placed in your life is something to be considered. I've often thought about the fact that I wouldn't have my best friend if both our boys didn't sign up for football (or computer club, or <insert activity here.). Often it's kids, but sometimes it's more random like choosing the same neighborhood. Interesting to think about.
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

I can't say my friendships have ever solidified very quickly. Generally they take place and become more meaningful over a stretch of time. I have seen it happen though, so it's a believable aspect to the book, to my way of thinking.
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

I think being quick friend with somebody is just like having instant love. I have made few friends just after a couple of meetings, one through social media. Gonna come back to this thread after finishing the book.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I don't know, bookowlie, it would seem that you're giving friendship a definite form. You don't need to have a strong connection, a serious liking or a great many things in common with a person before you can become friends. A single shared mutual interest and respect for another is sufficient to form a friendship. So, you can say that friends are of various grades. I know some people who consider their friend to be their soul-mate, while for others a friend is simply someone who makes good company.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

For me, it doesn't matter if friends meet randomly or otherwise. The longevity of the friendship and the respect are the most important factors.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”