Random Ways the Characters Became Friends

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Re: Random Ways the Characters Became Friends

Post by Baba Thoust »

I feel it was fateful, each character was in need of the other just when they all met. Fly fishing is not the reason for their friendship to form but was a perfect way to get the bond even bolder.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

BookishCreature wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 14:04 Some friendships made more sense than others. I could totally understand Sophie and Veronica bonding over a long flight and staying friends afterwards, but I found it really strange that Melody just fit right into the group as if she'd always been there. I don't know how she was that comfortable with four complete strangers.
Oddly enough, I took a young coworker under my wing and introduced her to my group of rather eccentric friends. She just had that kind of personality that could instantly mesh with a group of total strangers who were way out of her comfort zone. It is rare, but it can happen.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I thought that the way in which Sophie and Amanda met was realistic. They met the first time at Sophie's pumpkin patch. They just started talking and liked each other. It was not until the second time Amanda visited the greenhouse that Sophie invited her fly fishing. I also thought the way Sophie and Rose met was believable. They met at a fly shop. Rose strated making witty and funny comments about the flies.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I too have made some friends in a matter of minutes of first meeting each other. I'm still surprised by how fast it sometimes happened.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Bookish Creature and Kieran_Obrien - I also thought it was odd that Melody became "instant" friends with the group, considering her introverted personality. It's not like she had anything in common with any of them or fished previously. It seemed out of character for an introvert to stay with Rose for a few days. Although Melody was a free, independent spirit, she was, as Kieran mentioned, more of a loner. I guess the author was trying to bring out the fact that friendship can bloom between people who have divergent lifestyles and personalities.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

It's funny. I'm skeptical about friendships that developed too quickly in the book, but in my life, some of my friendships did develop that quickly. Usually because of common interests.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

babathoust wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 09:05 I feel it was fateful, each character was in need of the other just when they all met. Fly fishing is not the reason for their friendship to form but was a perfect way to get the bond even bolder.
Good point! Sophie and Rose are the exception - they first became friends through their shared interest in fly fishing (meeting in a fly shop). I do agree with you that the others might have just wanted a friend at first. The other three women didn't previously fish, but were willing to try in order to make friends. Amanda was certainly in need of some girl time, since she was a harried young mother. Melody just kind of went with the flow, so I don't necessarily think fly fishing was the initial reason she became friends with the others. Things just developed organically with Melody, due to the circumstances at the time.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Star88 wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 23:45 I too have made some friends in a matter of minutes of first meeting each other. I'm still surprised by how fast it sometimes happened.
I've had similar things happen as well. It does usually help when we meet in the context of a sport or hobby. For me it is sailing or kayaking. Having a mutual interest does seem to speed things along.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I agree a friendship gets started faster if there is a shared interest. The exception might be why the way Veronica and Sophie met - being in a confined space (a plane) for a length of time. That's why so many people become friends in the workplace. They are in the same office day after day, and they have the same reference points. That's why some people drift apart after they stop working together - they might not have much else in common.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:

Post by Baba Thoust »

bookowlie wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 00:09
babathoust wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 09:05 I feel it was fateful, each character was in need of the other just when they all met. Fly fishing is not the reason for their friendship to form but was a perfect way to get the bond even bolder.
Good point! Sophie and Rose are the exception - they first became friends through their shared interest in fly fishing (meeting in a fly shop). I do agree with you that the others might have just wanted a friend at first. The other three women didn't previously fish, but were willing to try in order to make friends. Amanda was certainly in need of some girl time, since she was a harried young mother. Melody just kind of went with the flow, so I don't necessarily think fly fishing was the initial reason she became friends with the others. Things just developed organically with Melody, due to the circumstances at the time.
Exactly my point! I also do believe the strongest of friendships have a common factor besides the obligation of being friendly to each other so as to bolster the bond even more.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

babathoust wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 07:08
Exactly my point! I also do believe the strongest of friendships have a common factor besides the obligation of being friendly to each other so as to bolster the bond even more.
I am a little confused. Being friendly is not an obligation. Normally, people are friends because they chose to be, not because it is an obligation.
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emmanae »

I feel like if I was out doing something I was passionate about and someone else came along doing it, there's a good chance we'd want to do that thing together. I may be optimistic, but it paints a nice narrative to me. :)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Emmanae wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 23:51 I feel like if I was out doing something I was passionate about and someone else came along doing it, there's a good chance we'd want to do that thing together. I may be optimistic, but it paints a nice narrative to me. :)
I agree. I think we all gravitate toward people who have similar interests. Still, the only characters that met through the shared love of fly fishing (in a fly shop) were Rose and Sophie. The rest of them only learned how to fly fish after meeting Sophie or, in Melody's case, the group.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The way Sophie and Rose bonded in the fly shop over the topic of an interest they both share - that was beautiful. Is it possible in real life? I guess it is. I did make a good friend in a random one-day zumba session somewhere. And, we are in touch daily now. Are we as close as Sophie and Rose? It's hard to tell right now. But, it's a beautiful story of friendship between Sophie and Rose, and it makes me happy just reading about it (such a sentimental dork!) .
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:

Post by Baba Thoust »

bookowlie wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 12:33
babathoust wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 07:08

I am a little confused. Being friendly is not an obligation. Normally, people are friends because they chose to be, not because it is an obligation.
True, but i will disagree with the term you used "normally". these days most friendships are formed to benefit each other in my opinion, the true and real ones are rare.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”