The Role of Fly Fishing

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: The Role of Fly Fishing

Post by Kat Berg »

Oh my, CommMayo, I am cringing as I read about the “fly” earring! One of my cousins had a hook go COMPLETELY through his finger. I just...how?!

And yes, it just doesn’t seem quite fair to fish the farm raised ones. 😌 “ oh look, our friends are feeding us! Come on everybody!...” 🎣
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Kat Berg wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 13:23 Oh my, CommMayo, I am cringing as I read about the “fly” earring! One of my cousins had a hook go COMPLETELY through his finger. I just...how?!

And yes, it just doesn’t seem quite fair to fish the farm raised ones. 😌 “ oh look, our friends are feeding us! Come on everybody!...” 🎣
My aunt is an ER nurse in New Jersey. She once had to cut a tuna lure out of a boy's head while the father stood over her and reminded her how expensive the lure was and asking, "do you really have to break the lure to get it out?"
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>

Post by Kat Berg »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 13:27 My aunt is an ER nurse in New Jersey. She once had to cut a tuna lure out of a boy's head while the father stood over her and reminded her how expensive the lure was and asking, "do you really have to break the lure to get it out?"
Sure, what is a little more pain for his son (not to mention a much bigger scar) if he can be saved a few bucks on a lure... :shock:
Lovemyhusband40
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Lovemyhusband40 »

Beginning is very slow. I understand that understanding the activity of the group that joins them together is important but the women should have had more of their own stories to connect them to the activity.
Olycharles
Currently Reading: A Long Way from Home
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olycharles.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Olycharles »

I dislike swimming and will never try fly fishing. Being something that brought four friends together makes it great. I always say, true friendship rocks.
Krixten
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Krixten »

Its not a bad book though it has its own little errors as most books have it teaches lessons
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

One really nice aspect of reading this book was learning about the sport of fly fishing. I knew basically nothing about this sport and it's great to learn something new from a novel, aside from enjoying a story. It might be learning about a city or country that is the book's setting, a specfic career, etc. It's a bonus to be entertained and educated at the same time.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

At the end of the day Bookowlie, that’s where I end too. I love learning new things, and so I real enjoy books that show me new hobbies, activities, or even new lifestyles. But I also hope that they have a nice balance of not bombarding me with too much information.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Kat Berg wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 08:19 At the end of the day Bookowlie, that’s where I end too. I love learning new things, and so I real enjoy books that show me new hobbies, activities, or even new lifestyles. But I also hope that they have a nice balance of not bombarding me with too much information.
My problem is that I kind of start getting ADD with hobbies. You learn about something new and get all hot to trot to try it, but you already have all of these other things you like to do...
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

CommMayo wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:26
Kat Berg wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 08:19 At the end of the day Bookowlie, that’s where I end too. I love learning new things, and so I real enjoy books that show me new hobbies, activities, or even new lifestyles. But I also hope that they have a nice balance of not bombarding me with too much information.
My problem is that I kind of start getting ADD with hobbies. You learn about something new and get all hot to trot to try it, but you already have all of these other things you like to do...
:lol2: yep, me too! But I’ve had fun doing it, and if it doesn’t connect, well, I can say I tried. But I’ve definitely had to have stern conversations with myself! I cannot do all the things! (No matter how hard I try)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Kat Berg wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:44
:lol2: yep, me too! But I’ve had fun doing it, and if it doesn’t connect, well, I can say I tried. But I’ve definitely had to have stern conversations with myself! I cannot do all the things! (No matter how hard I try)
Plus you start running out of room for all of your hobbies...kayaks, sailboats, snowboards, gardening gear, fishing gear, barnyard animals all start competing for space!
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

CommMayo wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:48
Plus you start running out of room for all of your hobbies...kayaks, sailboats, snowboards, gardening gear, fishing gear, barnyard animals all start competing for space!
Nah, you just have to choose WISELY...wine tasting, foodie restaurant eating, hiking (to offset the wine and and yummy food)...all these things take up only a little space! :D
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Kat Berg wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:59
CommMayo wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:48

Nah, you just have to choose WISELY...wine tasting, foodie restaurant eating, hiking (to offset the wine and and yummy food)...all these things take up only a little space! :D
Good point...I say as I'm getting ready to learn how to mountainbike...
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

I found the parts on fly fishing were interesting background, such as a lengthy description of a location and backstory would be.
In this case, fly fishing us their method of meditation. It gives them a place to escape daily life and recharge their inner force.
Some would find Yoga as pleasurable, and for some it would be sailing. I would still have read the book if they met at a yoga retreat even though I have an aversion to pants with Lyra.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think the girls also felt a sense of confidence and independence with mastering the sport. Certainly, it made Amanda feel she has something for herself rather than everything in her life being connected to her husband and kids. Veronica already seemed to be confident due to her successful career. In her case, it was a way to get away from the hustle bustle of her busy career. For Sophie and Rose, it seemed more about the true love of fly fishing.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”