The Role of Fly Fishing

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Isabelleva
Currently Reading: The Fountainhead
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelleva.html
Latest Review: Love Hope and Promise by NaylaBurns

Re: The Role of Fly Fishing

Post by Isabelleva »

As a Mainer, I relate to this quite a lot! I love that there is fishing as a form of meditation in this.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

fly fishing i heard only from this book and found interesting, This fishing was testing their patience in a hope of a good catch. In meanwhile their mind was free and all sorts of feelings were beings exchanged through their speaking which caused more attachment
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Lolo Skyooz
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Hill House
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-skyooz.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Lolo Skyooz »

Maybe it was intended to be like the everyday act of whaling in Moby Dick. All those descriptions of fish and tackle and weather and all of it. I know that in those passages, Melville used the opportunity to create tone through description. There was a lot more to it of course, but it may help readers understand The Reel Sisters a little better to cross-analyze with other literature.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Isabelleva wrote: 04 May 2018, 07:48 I like when women are portrayed doing "masculine" things, such as fishing. I think it is fantastic that the girls do fly fishing as their way of meditation.
Fly fishing is such a wonderful example of this. And as a woman who fly fishes and ties flies, it is fun to be out there on the water with this hobby. Women in the sport tend to be pretty well respected, to, in my experience. These women in this book seem to have made it something very personal for it to have been such a feature of the novel. I love that it was well represented here.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Kat Berg wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 11:43 What did you all think of the role fly fishing plays in this book? Of course, it would be a very different book if it weren't there, however, I am wondering if others like or dislike when an author goes into great detail about some activity you know almost nothing about and build a story around it? Do you love it, hate it, or does it just depend? How about with this book? Do you love, hate, or feel ambivalent about that part of the story and why?

Normally, one of my favorite things is to read a book where I learn a lot of details about something I have never known much about or done before, surrounded by a great story. An example of this is a mystery I read that revolved around glass-blowing. I read it over and over. It was a good mystery and I learned something. For me, as a vegetarian, I found myself strangely distressed to read about killing another creature as a sport. I say strangely because I have never had this kind of reluctance to read a book that described something that is otherwise largely socially accepted as a pass time.
I enjoy learning about new things. Thus initially the details of flyfishing were somewhat interesting. However,I think it began to get tedious when the details of flyfishing seemed to be repetitive and too indepth.
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

Lolo Skyooz wrote: 16 May 2018, 11:47 Maybe it was intended to be like the everyday act of whaling in Moby Dick. All those descriptions of fish and tackle and weather and all of it. I know that in those passages, Melville used the opportunity to create tone through description. There was a lot more to it of course, but it may help readers understand The Reel Sisters a little better to cross-analyze with other literature.
Hello Lolo! One of my goals when writing this book was to write a story that had a unique, nontraditional story line that would encourage women to step outside of their day to day routines and try something new in the outdoors. I'm also a big lover of a good metaphor, and I found fly fishing and all of the gear to be very metaphorically rich.

Thanks for your thoughts! I enjoyed reading them! ~Michelle Cummings
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 06:34
Isabelleva wrote: 04 May 2018, 07:48 I like when women are portrayed doing "masculine" things, such as fishing. I think it is fantastic that the girls do fly fishing as their way of meditation.
Fly fishing is such a wonderful example of this. And as a woman who fly fishes and ties flies, it is fun to be out there on the water with this hobby. Women in the sport tend to be pretty well respected, to, in my experience. These women in this book seem to have made it something very personal for it to have been such a feature of the novel. I love that it was well represented here.
Awesome! Tight lines! ~Michelle Cummings
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker

Post by Kendra M Parker »

michmc3 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 12:28
Kendra M Parker wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 06:34
Fly fishing is such a wonderful example of this. And as a woman who fly fishes and ties flies, it is fun to be out there on the water with this hobby. Women in the sport tend to be pretty well respected, too, in my experience. These women in this book seem to have made it something very personal for it to have been such a feature of the novel. I love that it was well represented here.
Awesome! Tight lines! ~Michelle Cummings
Another fly fisher! Tight lines!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

In accord with my recent published review,there's no questions, in spite not having knowledge of and interest for 'fly fishing', I was undeniably drawn into the story followed by familiar experiences pertaining to 'matters of the heart'. But, in as much as I'm intrigued and like just how the story reads from the voice of the characters, etc., more than that, similar to when I'm captivated by a thrilling TV show as it transitions from one scene to the next, I do not like the constant pauses in between each chapter: quotes and passages taken from various resources and sources, as I interpret as annoying commercials, wherefore, I wish I was able to read the story from cover to cover without consistent interruptions and mention of 'fly fishing'. There's definitely nothing like sitting on the edge of your seat and then..."we'll be right back after this commercial break"…U g h! Feel free to check out the full review here -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71123.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

I thought of it as a creative expression the author used to share something that she is passionate about. How many people have now been exposed to the sport of fly-fishing that wouldn't have been otherwise. I read the book because it sounded interesting. The fly-fishing portion was secondary. However, now I think I would like to learn.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I thought that the inclusion of fly fishing was fascinating. The way the women connected over a mutual hobby was fun to read about.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

I found this element compelling because it gave a unique flair to the entire plot. I think that the incredible detail was really a sign that the author was passionate about this topic. I also felt that it enhanced the character development, because each of them had their own strengths and weaknesses in relation to fly fishing.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I knew very little about fly-fishing before I read this book. I found the author’s level of detail interesting. It was as if I met a new group of friends and they were telling me all about their favorite hobby. I panicked a bit on their first fishing trip until I found out that they fished catch and release. I went fishing with my dad when I was a kid and had no problem watching him clean the fish when we got home, but somehow it feels different now.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

I found the fly fishing talk to be interesting. I enjoy fishing from time to time so hearing about another version of the sport was fascinating for me.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I equally love informative books that will enable me to learn a thing or two. Before I read The Reel Sisters, I had never heard of fly fishing. Though the book centered around fly fishing,it had other themes one can relate with and learn a thing or two from just like I did.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”