The Role of Fly Fishing

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Re: The Role of Fly Fishing

Post by Anirudh Badri »

As long as it is done well, I think it is a good idea. Moby Dick does something similar by focussing a lot of time on whaling and ships but still manages to do it well and keep the reader engaged.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Role of fly fishing in my opinion was to bring out the real characters or these amazing women. To show us how they experienced growth through learning the sport. How each grew as they got better in the sport into the women/sports-women they became in the end. Fly fishing gave them a way out. If it was something different, it should have gotten them involved beyond their individual lives like this sport did, but in this book, fly fishing did a great job.
lauren1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren1.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by lauren1 »

In my opinion, Fly fishing was used as a gigantic metaphor in the book The Reel Sisters. It seemed every "on land" struggle the women had, translated to trouble in the river when they fished. For example; When Sophie was vacillating about dating and consequently couldn't seem to catch a fish. Another example was when Melanie (who was trying to escape the pressure of all her parent's hopes and dreams) learned to catch a fish and then let it go.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

lauren1 wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 22:35 In my opinion, Fly fishing was used as a gigantic metaphor in the book The Reel Sisters. It seemed every "on land" struggle the women had, translated to trouble in the river when they fished. For example; When Sophie was vacillating about dating and consequently couldn't seem to catch a fish. Another example was when Melanie (who was trying to escape the pressure of all her parent's hopes and dreams) learned to catch a fish and then let it go.
Very interesting points! I wonder if the author intended these metaphors or were they coincidental. I just looked at the fly fishing theme as the thread that tied the group together as friends and a way for the girls to unwind and get away for some "me time." It's true the author included a scene toward the end where each part of the fishing pole is used to describe each of the women; the metaphors you mentioned were subtle and I didn't catch them (no pun intended!).
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Dania Sajid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dania Sajid »

It’s always nice to learn something new. And I enjoyed Such a perfect theme.However,I had mixed feelings.Friendship is the corner stone of the story that keeps you afloat in the turbulent water that is Life. It set me straight.
areda2

Post by areda2 »

Most interesting but needs more substance. The art of fly fishing is done with a trained hand & eye coordination plus a physical attribute not withstanding the stamina to cast with a fluid motion.
jsparkleflower
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsparkleflower.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by jsparkleflower »

I have not had the chance to read this book yet, but am interested in doing so as it is an interesting topic to me. I like the world of fishing, I grew up in a fishing family and encourage my own family to enjoy the sport. I do look forward to reading about the role fishing does play in this book as it played a large role in my own life.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I liked the fly fishing aspect of the book. I enjoy learning new things. Also, fishing is for most a meditative and reflective pastime. his is a good way to get to know the people with you and to help you sort out your feelings about different things.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
babygirl-17

Post by babygirl-17 »

Encouraging more woman to go fly fishing is the best way to show woman that no matter where life takes them they can accomplish anything they put their minds to. I think the role of Fly fishing is to show woman their stronger then what they think and life will always get tough but as long as u keep trying your life will always have an upside somewhere.
Jillmom8

Post by Jillmom8 »

The Role of Fly Fishing
Even though its a book about women Fly
Fishing still dont think i would want to go fly fishing..some parts to be honest i wanted to ship but didnt. Guess it didnt interest me, wasnt my kind of book
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Ndifrekedem wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:21 This is my first time of hearing about fly fishing, I had to google it to find more or know more about this sport. That is the good thing about reading, learning new things is not bad it's helps widen your horizons. So thumps up Michelle for teaching me something new
I feel the same way as you do.I had never heard of fly fishing before this book.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Motherofcats1
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-motherofcats1.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Motherofcats1 »

I love to fish but have never tried fly fishing. I haven't read the book yet but by the sounds of the reviews and details in the book I may learn a thing or two about fly fishing. Looking forward to reading it.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

The description of fly fishing is necessary for developing that attachment the reader would soon make upon being familiar with the sport. You could just imagine a story about, say, a champion in golf. As this fellow narrates how he got those "birdies," "hole-in-one," "bogey," and other terms, how would a reader who understood nothing of golf relate to the action? So, I opine, the fly fishing in-depth narrative is just a very pleasant feature.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

It doesn't normally bother me when an author centers the story around a specific activity. If they can make me more interested in that activity that is all the better. That is actually how I got interested in knitting.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Lenny1886
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenny1886.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Lenny1886 »

I think a lot of times it’s those details that kind of make the story. They (whoever they are) say that there is only so many stories out there and that everything we read or watch is just a reinvention of something that’s already been done. It’s these details that make them unique. So yes, it could have easily been done with something else, but then it wouldn’t be the same story.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”