The Role of Fly Fishing

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Re: The Role of Fly Fishing

Post by Y0landa »

I thought it was a unique approach, it complimented the storyline and did not take over. Humor was used quite a lot with the fly fishing theme, so learning about this sport was very enjoyable.
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

Fly fishing plays a major role in this book. I didn't know about this sport before reading this book. And I really loved it.
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Palfree »

I knew nothing about fly fishing. I enjoyed learning about it. In the case of this book, the details were interesting. I think that the fly fishing could have been replaced with almost any other hobby. Many hobbies could have brought this group of women together. However, if you changed the fly fishing to a different sport or hobby it would totally change the book.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Before the book, I had no idea what fly fishing was and once I read the book I had learned so much. It even made me want to go try fly fishing. I like the idea the all the girls can connect with fly fishing.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I understand why the fly fishing was there and most the time it felt natural but occasionally it got a too detailed and a bit slow.
Ariel_Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arieljmartin.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Ariel_Martin »

I grew up in a community that revolved around fly fishing. Although I am not an avid fly fisher, I have been out.
I found fly fishing to be a necessary element to the authors themes of friendship in the book. In the end when Sophie ties each character to a part of the fly fishing set up... I think fly fishing was a beautiful compliment to friendship. That being said, I think the same can go for a lot of other hobbies as complimentary themes.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

I love the detailed books which have new things to teach and explore. But mainly it also depends on the type of content the book is giving. But I love this book because of fly fishing all of the girls meet and it play an important role in their life and if ever in my life I thought to learn it this book will be the first teacher i think.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Kat Berg wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 11:43 What did you all think of the role fly fishing plays in this book? Of course, it would be a very different book if it weren't there, however, I am wondering if others like or dislike when an author goes into great detail about some activity you know almost nothing about and build a story around it? Do you love it, hate it, or does it just depend? How about with this book? Do you love, hate, or feel ambivalent about that part of the story and why?

Normally, one of my favorite things is to read a book where I learn a lot of details about something I have never known much about or done before, surrounded by a great story. An example of this is a mystery I read that revolved around glass-blowing. I read it over and over. It was a good mystery and I learned something. For me, as a vegetarian, I found myself strangely distressed to read about killing another creature as a sport. I say strangely because I have never had this kind of reluctance to read a book that described something that is otherwise largely socially accepted as a pass time.
The catch and release thing they did was even more distressing to me than if they killed the fish. There was a scene where it is explained how the fact of being caught is a trauma for the fish, and every time they described how they unhooked their mouth I cringed. It might be stupid, but to me, it is even worse to harm a living being and cause it pain without apparent reason other than having fun, than giving it a quick death and then cooking it or something. The fact that they did it just for fun and didn't even bother eating what they caught was a deal breaker to me.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I never had any interest in fly fishing and did not know much about it. I had always assumed it to be boring with old men sitting for hours watching their rid until it moves. Yet the writer made it seem fun and enjoyable, and after reading the book I think id someone invited me to try it I would do it
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
baldgi84
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Fulfilment
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baldgi84.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by baldgi84 »

I didn't even know what fly fishing was, so as a plus I learned that. Other than that, it made no difference to me.
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

I'm glad she went into detail about fly fishing as the sport seems very interesting to me. When you go into the author's background you can see that she is a fly fisher herself, and so she put that passion into the story. I think it therefore, plays a very big role in the passion we perceive from the characters.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

when started reading the book it was everywhere. Fly fishing was all over the place but as I kept reading on, the character development around the fly fishing thing made me excited about knowing more about it.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

When reading, I think it's best when you learn something new. Of course, I don't like being deluged with Chemistry lessons when I'm reading for recreational purposes, but if the protagonist(s) doesn't have a passion the book quickly becomes a chore.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

For me it is a nice addition. It adds a wonderful flair to the base story. I just hope the book was a little longer, though.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I loved how informative the book was about fly fishing. I would like to give it a try.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”