The Role of Fly Fishing

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Re: The Role of Fly Fishing

Post by DennisK »

I just noticed that I chose to hyphenate the word fly-fish, but I failed to hyphenate self-portrait. Sorry for the bad use of the hyphen ... not really sure which is correct: fly-fishing or fly fishing.
Emmyflex
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmyflex »

its usually confusing to read a book built on an.idea you know nothing about but, i think as time goes on you will get to understand what the book is actually saying
emmacwilliams
Currently Reading: Ashley Bell
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmacwilliams.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by emmacwilliams »

I'm afraid this exact thing has just put me off this book. I read a little of the opening and decided I was definitely going to be zoning out during the fishing-tackle descriptions! A shame because I very much enjoy books about friendships, but detailed descriptions of a hobby I have no interest in are not for me! :?
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Kat Berg wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 23:24
starshipsaga wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 13:53 I know nothing about fly fishing - but it is something I have always wanted to try. For such a popular pastime, I'm surprised there are not more stories based around the theme, to be honest. I don't mind when the author goes into great detail about the activity; I love learning new things, and I love it when I can feel the author's enthusiasm for the subject in every word. If it can be presented in an interesting way, I don't find it boring. That actually gets me even more interested in fly fishing, I just wish I knew more people to try it with me :)
I'm actually surprised there aren't more books about it as well. I am sure there are probably quite a few specialty books, but...It is often thought of as a masculine hobby, so it is fascinating to me that the rest of the book is centered around female relationships.
Prior to The Reel Sisters, I had only heard of fly fishing in one other context: from Marla Cilley, author of Sink Reflections. She calls herself the Flylady. It is interesting to me that, in a stereotypically male sport, my only experience with this centers around women!
avbenson

Post by avbenson »

Fly fishing, interesting...
The book is loaded with too much information that kept my mind in suspect, I was like what is really happening with Amanda... Because I see Amanda,. I was egger to see the end of Amanda, and so on.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Kat Berg wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 11:43 Normally, one of my favorite things is to read a book where I learn a lot of details about something I have never known much about or done before, surrounded by a great story.
I love learning new things while reading a book. I didn't know a lot about Fly Fishing before, actually, I hadn't even heard about it. The author seems to love this pass time, she writes about it with enthusiasm. The details didn't really bother me but I sometimes found myself skimming those parts. It was interesting though.
Swarty03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swarty03.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Swarty03 »

This is the first book I read and reviewed for Online Book Club, and I have to say the first few chapters were a struggle for me with all the detail about fly fishing. I have no interest in fishing of kind, so as I was reading I kept on thinking "Hurry up and get to the actual story!" Some of the lingo did come in handy later on in the book with Amanda being a talented fly maker.

Overall, the fly fishing was symbolic of the struggles each of the women were going through. Fly fishing teaches you patience and determination. Both things the women needed when they dealt with their lives beyond the river.
Astrocelot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrocelot.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Astrocelot »

It's so difficult to get a reader invested in a hobby that they have absolutely no interest in, which was my struggle after reading a good portion of the book! But I think the author's enthusiasm for fly fishing truly does save it. Connecting the hobby to friendship makes sense too, although I personally would have had an easier time finishing The Reel Sisters if the interest they all shared was something like gardening. Growing healthy plants is sometimes a trial-and-error affair, it doesn't always work out if the conditions aren't right, and you need to constantly nourish what you're trying to produce. Just like relationships!

I completely understand that that's entirely subjective, though. Personally, it was a tough subject for me to get through, but I bet there are so many people who would prefer reading about fly fishing over other, applicable hobbies! Overall, it is a great story for anyone who's at least mildly interested in learning about fly fishing.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Astrocelot wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 14:54 It's so difficult to get a reader invested in a hobby that they have absolutely no interest in, which was my struggle after reading a good portion of the book! But I think the author's enthusiasm for fly fishing truly does save it. Connecting the hobby to friendship makes sense too, although I personally would have had an easier time finishing The Reel Sisters if the interest they all shared was something like gardening.
Passion is catchy! Even if it is something you are not interested in, someone else's passion can pull you in for the moment, but it definitely would have been easier for me too if it were gardening they were talking about :)
MaiCarl_0518

Post by MaiCarl_0518 »

I haven't tried fly fishing, but eventhough it may sounds boring if i may have the opportunity to try it,i would. I love the way how the author compared fly fishing to friendship, that's the main topic that this book made interesting to read.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

The book is rich in symbolism and imagery. The foremost being fly-fishing which forms the leit motif of the book. The lessons of fish flying become life lessons to be learnt with patience, practiced with perseverance, and adapted to the changing currents of life. In the words of Cummings ‘awareness and adaptability are the keys to successful fly-fishing’ and life. Like the art of fly-fishing the art of living too demands we must learn to make connections and learn to release, ingredients necessary for making a happy life.
cjwitham80
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 4145

Post by cjwitham80 »

I have to be completely honest, this book isn't my usual genre and I started reading it with low expectations of it capturing my interests. I don't recall ever reading a book that was specific toward one particular subject. I wholeheartedly enjoyed every aspect of this book. The story telling was incredible and on point with each character. It was amazing story telling. As for fly fishing... I have never had an interest in it before, but, can't wait to try it now!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I thought that my prior knowledge of fishing was going to be a huge help to me with this book, but it turns out that the style of fishing I know is so completely different than fly fishing. Now I understand why they get so angry when they see me coming down the stream in my kayak!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:38 I thought that my prior knowledge of fishing was going to be a huge help to me with this book, but it turns out that the style of fishing I know is so completely different than fly fishing. Now I understand why they get so angry when they see me coming down the stream in my kayak!
HAHA! yes, that would drive them crazy. I spent some of my growing up years in Montana (home to many fly fisher people), and most of my family are of the hunting, fishing, gun-loving variety (and yeah, me being vegetarian is definitely given the side-eye!). I spent a little time with them while they fished. I can definitely envision their reaction to you coming down the stream in your kayak, messing up their world. Cussing would ensue, for sure. (And side note: even if I weren't a vegetarian I am WAYYY to clumsy to fly fish! Someone would lose an eye, and it would likely be me.)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Kat Berg wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 13:01
HAHA! yes, that would drive them crazy. I spent some of my growing up years in Montana (home to many fly fisher people), and most of my family are of the hunting, fishing, gun-loving variety (and yeah, me being vegetarian is definitely given the side-eye!). I spent a little time with them while they fished. I can definitely envision their reaction to you coming down the stream in your kayak, messing up their world. Cussing would ensue, for sure. (And side note: even if I weren't a vegetarian I am WAYYY to clumsy to fly fish! Someone would lose an eye, and it would likely be me.)
[/quote]

One year, we organized a big kayaking/canoeing trip in the next state over. None of my friends knew that it was the first day of trout season. I knew, because the trip was in my home state. Boy were there some mad fishermen! I didn't feel too bad since I knew it was a freshly stocked stream and those poor farm raised trout were just hungry fish in a barrel.

Also, I'll never forget the time my friend's brother gave himself a nice "fly" earring by accident...

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”