Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by zilizopita1998 »

I was greatly thrilled to see the five major characters playing various roles of a fly fishing outfit rod. They play roles of the rod, reel, line, leader and the fly.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:

Post by zilizopita1998 »

It is nice to meet Rose, the oldest character in the story, just like a rod controls all the other working parts of a fly in real life, she equally controls the other girls in this story.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:

Post by zilizopita1998 »

For sure, those who don't know how to fish can learn it well after reading this story. The author metaphorically represents the five characters using the five parts of a fly rod.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:

Post by zilizopita1998 »

Sophie is the reel in the story. She helps Amanda an Veronica in life and also in fishing.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:

Post by zilizopita1998 »

Veronica is the leader in this fly fishing outfit. She is a leader in her life and she equally leads Melody in the story.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

It was a well written book.
Not my sort of book really though.
I think to those who like these types, it would be an engaging and gold read.
Just wasn't for me
kennedibmth
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedibmth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by kennedibmth »

I thought the concept of representing the characters using metaphor was interesting. It did start off a bit slow. Overall, I didn't love the book, but I can see it being enjoyable for others.
steviexlouise
Favorite Book: Love, Aubrey
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steviexlouise.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B071JNRK1V

Post by steviexlouise »

The book seems to have a wide variety or character background and personalities but judging by reviews and peoples comments, saying that there is a lot of detail and lengthy description about fishing, I don't think I would be interested in it. For some reason I saw the book cover and the title The Reel Sisters and thought it would be a book about acting and some sisters finding a way through to their desired career, which I would have read. Glad I took the time to research what the book was actually about as it informed my decision!

I would recommend for people who have a more figurative imagination as they can probably understand and picture the scene descriptions a lot better than I could. I think patience is also required too.
Booklover128
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover128.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Booklover128 »

I've not finished the book yet but it made me wonder how important friendships are, as looking back at my friendships retrospectively, without them I believe I would be looking at a different person in the mirror every morning as I wash my face and perhaps potentially living a different lifestyle.
In addition to this, I have learned a great deal about fishing which wasn't something I thought I would learn over the course of my life so I guess you do learn something new every day!
I think the only criticism is that the book is quite slow to start off so readers may lose interest before it shows its true potential.
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

N_R wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 01:41 I found that some of the dialogue was a bit distracting, in the sense that people do not actually talk like that using correct English.
I just finished a book that had this exact problem. Speech was way too formal and if was off putting.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

At first I was disappointed because the author dragged the beginning of the story. As I progressed into it, I really started liking all the characters, their positive disposition, and the way they're always supportive of one another. The ending was so painful yet beautiful to read. I would recommend this book to others because I want them to read a book that will touch them in many emotional ways. I want them to experience a story that will touch them and the characters will remain with them well after reading. :lire4:
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
irene92
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by irene92 »

The tale of the book is beautiful and deputes the saying of 'a woman is a an enemy of herself....the first phase of the women helping a naked woman in a stream,,geuss what if it was in a modern scenario for example helping a naked woman running away from bandits while naked.the reaction of a modern day woman is to ran away too....in short the world we live now has negated affection against our fellow human beings..it a world where you live by yourself and do your own stuff and mind your business.There is no friendship
KatrinaP
Currently Reading: Tempest's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katrinap.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by KatrinaP »

ReviewerDiksha wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:35 I like it when the authors create such characters that are equally fascinating as the story itself.
I like that too! I think one author that does this particularly well is Dean Koontz; his books always have characters that stay with you long after you read them. Many reviewers here have noted how well Cummings creates her characters, and it definitely makes me want to read the book!
KatrinaP
Currently Reading: Tempest's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katrinap.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by KatrinaP »

zilizopita1998 wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 03:12 The author metaphorically represents the five characters using the five parts of a fly rod.
Though I don't do a lot of fishing, I think it would be interesting to read a book that successfully uses metaphors about a fishing rod to represent the bond between sisters. In fact, I think any book that can use a fishing rod as a metaphor for anything successfully and in an engaging way is probably well worth a look!
Stormy76
Currently Reading: Ignite
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Stormy76 »

After reading some of the thoughts on this book I am still not sure if this is a book I would enjoy. I will however, give it a try!

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”