Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Shaggy-Reads
Currently Reading: Bound in Flames
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaggy-reads.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by Shaggy-Reads »

I am a country girl who ran with my dad to fish, hunt, and deal with the day to day life on the farm. Laying trout lines and fishing have always been a daddy, daughter driven event for us. Fly fishing is one area we have always spoke of learning but never have done. After reading this book, I’m more determined than ever to learn. The detailed information on fly fishing and the equipment made for a slightly slow start to the actual story but I really enjoyed the new knowledge.

In respect to the story and characters, I loved all 5 and how though they were each so different they all formed a lasting friendship. The way each was introduced along with their backstory, how they met the others, careers, and life for them in general was essential to understanding the story.

The love these characters found for each other while they enjoyed fly fishing was touching. The actual act and emotions of fishing were true to form. From catching to losing that one incredible fish felt so real. The one thing I found off was the formal dialogue and how certain things happened. Those were not as realistic or life like as they could have been.

The ending was sad and had me crying. I usually can see things coming as I read but this snuck up on me.

I would recommend this book to those who appreciate books of friendship and the endurance true friends have as life happens. True friends are hard to find making them that much more valuable and precious.
“Choice is always there even when there seems to be none; choose wisely. You are a product of those choices.” :lire4:
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

BookishCreature wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 14:02 Oh man, it seems like I might be the only one who really disliked this book. :/ It has the dubious honor of being the first book I've ever rated one star on OBC. My review hasn't been published yet, but the short version is that I couldn't stand the awkward dialogue, the childish behavior of the grown women in the story, and the lack of overarching conflict in the plot. Was it just me?
I have began reading this book and I am on section two but I found a significant amount of the language was quite pedantic. I could understand so far why this book may be rated as a one star.
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

Shaggy-Reads wrote: 29 May 2018, 13:31 I am a country girl who ran with my dad to fish, hunt, and deal with the day to day life on the farm. Laying trout lines and fishing have always been a daddy, daughter driven event for us. Fly fishing is one area we have always spoke of learning but never have done. After reading this book, I’m more determined than ever to learn. The detailed information on fly fishing and the equipment made for a slightly slow start to the actual story but I really enjoyed the new knowledge.

In respect to the story and characters, I loved all 5 and how though they were each so different they all formed a lasting friendship. The way each was introduced along with their backstory, how they met the others, careers, and life for them in general was essential to understanding the story.

The love these characters found for each other while they enjoyed fly fishing was touching. The actual act and emotions of fishing were true to form. From catching to losing that one incredible fish felt so real. The one thing I found off was the formal dialogue and how certain things happened. Those were not as realistic or life like as they could have been.

The ending was sad and had me crying. I usually can see things coming as I read but this snuck up on me.

I would recommend this book to those who appreciate books of friendship and the endurance true friends have as life happens. True friends are hard to find making them that much more valuable and precious.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book! I enjoyed reading them. ~Michelle Cummings
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>

Post by michmc3 »

dbartondeb wrote: 29 May 2018, 08:21 I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, either. I enjoy fishing, but have never tried fly fishing. This book was stimulating and motivational. I enjoyed the book and learning about the sport along with the friends connections!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! ~Michelle Cummings
michmc3

Post by michmc3 »

Echo Haapala wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 21:12 I just finished reading this book and I thought it was fascinating. I really enjoyed the characters. I think the author did a great job developing each one. She definitely made it easy to feel like I was a part of the fly fishing crew. I disliked the slow beginning and felt because there were so many viewpoints that some of the stories were a bit rushed.

I would definitely recommend this book as I believe there will be a story and stories within the pages that will resonate with everyone.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Echo! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I hope to start working on the sequel soon! ~Michelle Cummings
michmc3

Post by michmc3 »

Annette Smith wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 02:01 what a great read. A reel insight into many walks of life! (see what I did there?)

I hhighly recommended it as a good solid descriptive read for all walks of life.
Love it! Thanks for sharing! ~Michelle Cummings
michmc3

Post by michmc3 »

Ana_Saints wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 10:20 The reviews didn't disappoint me. This novel is really something and unique. This story broke the stereotypes, that girls can go fly fishing as well, it subtly gives it's readers a good message that regardless of gender, age culture and etc. all of us are just the same. This book also gives us a true meaning of friendship.
I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. ~Michelle Cummings
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I haven't read a book like this one before, so I'm a little skeptical on whether I should give it a shot or not. The mixed reviews are pushing me to read it though, since they got me really curious on how I'd view the plot. Maybe I'll give it a shot later.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

As per my recent published review: I've certainly read it and have discovered that this amazing fictional story, "The Reel Sisters" are totally the real deal and what a blessing they are to each other. It surely proves to me that we just never know when God will cast someone into our lives for good and not evil. I actually like how the story transcends age, gender, culture, and socioeconomic barriers, the power of women friendships that follows Rose's lifelong passion and how we too can learn a little bit about ourselves each time we might step into the river, while I also like their playful banter among them. For the most part, whether you're into 'fly fishing' or not, I surely recommend this book as it will inspire you, leave you well informed and take you on an unexpected river trail like you've never imagined. Congrats to the author for taking a venturous risk and feel free to check out the full review here -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71123.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

I found myself unable to get into the book as it was a very slow start, i also am not a fan of fishing in general and had read that the disceiptions of such could be overwhelmingly long and drawn out, which put me off as well. I guess im just one of those cliche people who need a book to grab me from the start
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

So, what I gather from this book is that it focuses on strong friendships, for the most part. I love a book that focuses on that connection and the importance of it. As well as, taking its readers on that journey. Maybe even learning a bit about ourselves along the way. Even some fishing in there? Love to see how that ties into the story and friendships. Interesting. I may just read it. Seems like most enjoyed it. :techie-studyingbrown:
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I loved the fact that the book was full of women and also the way the story was told in the different perspective of the women. Honestly I never knew that such a sport existed, so I was enlightened.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Overall, I thought that this book was a wonderful story of friendship, love and connecting over a really different hobby. This book will be getting a 4 star rating from me.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
michmc3

Post by michmc3 »

holsam_87 wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 16:50 Overall, I thought that this book was a wonderful story of friendship, love and connecting over a really different hobby. This book will be getting a 4 star rating from me.
Awesome! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks for the review! ~Michelle Cummings, Author of The Reel Sisters
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

michmc3 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 09:36
holsam_87 wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 16:50 Overall, I thought that this book was a wonderful story of friendship, love and connecting over a really different hobby. This book will be getting a 4 star rating from me.
Awesome! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks for the review! ~Michelle Cummings, Author of The Reel Sisters
You're welcome.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”