Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.

What is your overall opinion of the "The Reel Sisters"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for your thoughts on the book. I found that some of the dialogue was a bit distracting, in the sense that people do not actually talk like that using correct English. It did teach me a lot about fishing.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book was good generally. I rated it 3 out of 4. I learnt about a sport I didn't know before. I also liked the fact that five women from diverse backgrounds, ages and careers could form such a strong bond. However, the details on the art of fly fishing were at times lengthy and sometimes scenes didn't unfold the way they do in real life.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

What I liked the most about the book was the fresh take (the fly fishing theme) on a more common theme in novels, friendships. The characters were certainly the best part of the book. I felt like they were my friends by the end of the book. The weakest part of the book was the slow start. Since the book had five alternating perspectives, it took a while for each character to be introduced with a detailed backstory and how they met the other characters. Also, the beginning contained a lot of detail about what fly fishing is and related information about the equipment. Although it was interesting to learn about fly fishing, it made for a slow start to the plot.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who likes character-driven stories since I absolutely loved the characters.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I went into this thinking I wouldn't like it, but I didn't read the last couple "book of the month's" so I wanted to jump back into it. I LOVED this story. I enjoyed the way the characters became "real" friends as they "reeled" in the fish. The ways they shared their lives with each other were endearing. I was so incredibly sad in the end. I did not see that coming at all. I highly recommend this story to those who like to connect with their friends.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I was instantly drawn to the title for the simple fact that I have been fishing for most of my life. I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars. I LOVED the way the author captured all of the aspects of fishing, from the peacefulness of it to the anger of losing a fish. The way the theme was kept throughout the entire book while jumping between characters was amazing. I actually cried at the end of this book.
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by prenaramesh »

I haven’t finished the book yet,but I do like the fact that I’m learning about fishing which I had zero knowledge about. I like books that are unusual from other books that I read or that are recommended to me. Different themes, locations, environments are always interesting to read and also increase your exposure to the world.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I’m still reading this book, but I’m enjoying the unique premise so far. Learning about each character in depth was a nice start. It gave everyone a proper backstory. I love fishing, although I’ve never been Fly-fishing, and I look forward to finishing up this book soon.
melvs
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melvs.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by melvs »

I have started reading this book and I think it is really good, I went fishing a couple of times before, never fly fishing, so making making some research about it and I think this book will make me a believer also, together with the movie of Brad Pitt, that I have not yet watch before. Thanks for the book.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

N_R wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 01:41 Thanks for your thoughts on the book. I found that some of the dialogue was a bit distracting, in the sense that people do not actually talk like that using correct English. It did teach me a lot about fishing.
I always speak in perfect English...I even text with proper punctuation! One of the drawbacks of an English degree!

But yes, I agree that the dialogue could have been a little less wooden at times.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I really enjoyed reading the book The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings. I definitely liked the imagery used in the book the most. I loved the efficient usage of fish flying sport as a symbol for life skills. I felt the book could have explored gender issues in depth. I was a bit disappointed that despite championing female friendship it merely touched upon them rather superficially. I would certainly recommend the book to everyone that i know because of its dynamic imagery.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Oh man, it seems like I might be the only one who really disliked this book. :/ It has the dubious honor of being the first book I've ever rated one star on OBC. My review hasn't been published yet, but the short version is that I couldn't stand the awkward dialogue, the childish behavior of the grown women in the story, and the lack of overarching conflict in the plot. Was it just me?
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I really liked that the author includes in the story information about fly fishing. It's a topic I had zero knowledge on. I haven't finished the book yet, I'm finding it difficult to stay focused. The women although strong seem to be childish, I wish their friendship and stories were more developed. Nonetheless I'm looking forward to read the ending.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the different women and appreciated how most of them (Rose, Sophie, and Melody) grew up throughout the book. Nothing much happened to Veronica, and I was shocked at how Amanda fared. The ending just didn't feel right to me.

While the book adequately explored the beauty of friendship and the art of fly fishing, the conversations sounded artificial, and there were some gaps in the story. The author could use the services of a "continuity editor" to address those gaps.
Christpaul150p
Favorite Author: Shaunti Feldhahn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
fav_author_id: 13357

Post by Christpaul150p »

The characters were certainly the best part of the book. I felt like they were my friends by the end of the book. The weakest part of the book was the slow start. Since the book had five alternating perspectives, it took a while for each character to be introduced with a detailed backstory and how they met the other characters. Also, the beginning contained a lot of detail about what fly fishing is and related information about the equipment. Although it was interesting to learn about fly fishing, it made for a slow start to the plot.
I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who likes character-driven stories since I absolutely loved the characters

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”