Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by Lg_99 »

I think I'll be reviewing this book. It has a lot of good ratings, and it seems like a fresh, light read compared to all the gore I've been reading lately. Also, I like how the story focuses on friendship and not romance. We'll see how it goes.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Kieran_Obrien wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 04:18 Did anybody else think there were too many protagonists? I feel like the 5 could've been condensed into 2 or 3 and would've made for a much tighter read.
I thought that, too. In my case, I don't like reading a book with too many main characters because I struggle trying to relate or feel attached to all of them.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

I rate it 3 out of 4. The characters are what I like the most about the book and what I like the last is, that the scenes do not develop the way they happen in real life.
asha_odhiambo
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by asha_odhiambo »

:lol: i found the book interesting and most of all the phrases used showed me a lot on how to communicate.
EDWIN EDWARD
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EDWIN EDWARD »

The book is generally interesting i really enjoy the art of fishng
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

I quite enjoyed this book. I liked the fact that the author involved women from different diverse backgrounds, ages and careers. I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars.
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

I agree there was a slow start as it tried to invest you in each each sister. But the end I felt like i could fly-fish (ha!) and like I knew each of the characters. Definitely one I'd recommend! I didn't have any problem with the lanugage at all - not sure what you're talking about?
egere30
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by egere30 »

This book is good in terms of it characters and others, the book is detailed in terms of the story.
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

Christpaul150p wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 07:33 The characters were certainly the best part of the book. I felt like they were my friends by the end of the book. The weakest part of the book was the slow start. Since the book had five alternating perspectives, it took a while for each character to be introduced with a detailed backstory and how they met the other characters. Also, the beginning contained a lot of detail about what fly fishing is and related information about the equipment. Although it was interesting to learn about fly fishing, it made for a slow start to the plot.
I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who likes character-driven stories since I absolutely loved the characters

Seems like a slow start, but definitely interesting. I will certainly put this book on my -to-read- list :)
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Lg_99 wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 13:30
Kieran_Obrien wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 04:18 Did anybody else think there were too many protagonists? I feel like the 5 could've been condensed into 2 or 3 and would've made for a much tighter read.
I thought that, too. In my case, I don't like reading a book with too many main characters because I struggle trying to relate or feel attached to all of them.
I'm okay with having a ton of characters if it is a series that I'm really invested in, but it is tough for a one-off book like this one.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:29 I went into this thinking I wouldn't like it, but I didn't read the last couple "book of the month's" so I wanted to jump back into it. I LOVED this story. I enjoyed the way the characters became "real" friends as they "reeled" in the fish. The ways they shared their lives with each other were endearing. I was so incredibly sad in the end. I did not see that coming at all. I highly recommend this story to those who like to connect with their friends.
I like your punny take on this CatInTheHat!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

For me, the most inspiring things were fly fishing and close ties between friends. However, a number of perspectives was a bit boring element.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I rate this book 3 out of 4. I loved the lighthearted theme of the book, and how I could relate with each character in some way or the other, though mostly with tomboy Sophie. The dialogue was rather iffy; I liked the camaraderie, yet it bordered on childish. I loved the character development, but felt it could have been expounded on in some places. I would recommend this to readers who like reading about friendship, and praise it as a good source of information about flying fish.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

N_R wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 01:41 I found that some of the dialogue was a bit distracting, in the sense that people do not actually talk like that using correct English.
This is an interesting point so thank you for making it! :mrgreen2:

I was originally drawn to this book merely for location's sake. The river where they fish is only about an hour from where I live in the colorado mountains. I suggested it to my local fish vendor (who is a woman!).
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

NL Hartje wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 14:50
N_R wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 01:41 I found that some of the dialogue was a bit distracting, in the sense that people do not actually talk like that using correct English.
This is an interesting point so thank you for making it! :mrgreen2:

I was originally drawn to this book merely for location's sake. The river where they fish is only about an hour from where I live in the colorado mountains. I suggested it to my local fish vendor (who is a woman!).
I also am drawn to books that have a setting near where I lived or has previously lived. One of Jennifer Weiner's book is set in a fictional town in Connecticut. In interviews, she said that she based it on the CT town she grew up in (I am not going to say the name). Anyway, we lived there for four years when my kids were starting school - the author's descriptions of the culture and locals were spot on!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”