Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by ASB_1 »

I totally loved the book inspite of the lazy beginning of the story and the detailed account of fly fishing got a bit lengthy but once the plot starts, it actually gets you hooked. The most important thing about the story was the bond of friendship and companionship between the women and I liked the aspect that the characters are so relateable. I have already added the book to my bookshelves and I rated it 3 out of 4.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
JavaDaBud
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javadabud.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by JavaDaBud »

Generally, it was beautifully written. I liked the bond shared between the women who also shared the same interest.
Although, I do have to say that there were a lot of unnecessary details about fishing. For some readers, it may be too much. Boring, even. However, for a fly fisher, I think all of the lengthy details would be frankly interesting. Which, I assume, is the reason Cummings added it.
All in all, it was a good reading experience :techie-studyingbrown:
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

I gave it 2 stars in my review. There's some good parts but the never-ending positivity and banal, robotic chit chat really took from the novel for me.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I have just started reviewing this book.. I have to say that I am enjoying it so far. I tend to be very critical though, so I have to look at the whole package before I can give it a score.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
EveS523
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eves523.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by EveS523 »

I agree with some of the other posts that the fly fishing information was a bit much at points but it was a different take on a story of friends - especially women (most stories of women do not involve this type of sport). I think the character development was good, although a bit slow to start, and you really came to feel tied to the characters.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Did anybody else think there were too many protagonists? I feel like the 5 could've been condensed into 2 or 3 and would've made for a much tighter read.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Overall, I thought The Reel Sisters was a marvelous book. I loved the diverse and strong cast of female characters, the beautiful setting of the story, and how the author depicted the group's sisterhood. The only thing I did not like was the ending of the story. While reading the book, I constantly thought this is such a tranquil and warm story about friendship and nature. For that reason, I was taken aback by the end. I understand, however, the author wanted to give the readers a lesson. Since I liked the story so much before the end, I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. Yes, I would recommend it to friends and family.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Sadly, I have to say I could not finish this book. I have attempted several times in completed it but to no avail. It bores me. The long winded explanations on fly fishing and the cheesy banter between the women make me rate this book a 1 out of 4 stars. It might of gotten more interesting later on. However, I really can't force myself to read any further.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

This is a great story about female friendship. I have zero interest in fishing of any kind, but I enjoyed the story, nevertheless. Once I got through the slow start I liked the characters and their individual stories.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The characters were amazing, my favourite was Rose on how thoughtful she was at times. There were times when this book was boring that I lost my interest in reading it further, for this reason I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars. There were certain life lessons and events that was entertaining. Above all it was a good book for anyone who enjoys strong fun characters.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

It was a plot i had not come across before. The fly fishing made me smile because I had not read it before now. I really enjoyed it.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

The way their personalities are described using different characteristics of fly fishing outfit is really unique.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Kieran_Obrien wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 04:18 Did anybody else think there were too many protagonists? I feel like the 5 could've been condensed into 2 or 3 and would've made for a much tighter read.
I also thought there were too many principal characters. Starting with four main characters was already a lot, but introducing Melody as a 5th main character was a bit over the edge. Also, I think the original four protagonists would have worked better if two of them were more strongly featured. Instead, rotating the 4 (and then 5) perspectives resulted in a weaker plot because the reader has to sift through each long chapter about someone else's life. It's not bad when they are at the get-togethers, but the plot goes off track each time there is a long chapter about each character's personal life.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Kieran_Obrien wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 04:18 Did anybody else think there were too many protagonists? I feel like the 5 could've been condensed into 2 or 3 and would've made for a much tighter read.
Yes I did feel initially there were too many protagonists.However, on retrospection, I have realized, that they have been chosen thus,to showcase the different stages of a woman's life, Melody,at career crossroads and estranged parents; Sophie, skeptic to form relationships after a sour one;Veronica, at the heights on ones career; Amanda, juggling family and work and Rose,the oldest,bereaving a lost one.It can be easily noticed that they represent different age groups allowing readers of all age groups to identify with them.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I don't know much about fishing, but I read this book for the characters, actually. I like it when the authors create such characters that are equally fascinating as the story itself.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”