Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Omohobhio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by Omohobhio »

I think the details on the art of fishing was too lengthy and unnecessary.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

I liked the theme of the book with these women, who were all very different, sharing a friendship that was meaningful and important. I think it really highlights how people who are different can come together through a common interest. I really got kind of bored with the fly fishing details. I don't know anything about fly fishing and thought the author could have cut the detail down a little to keep the plot moving and the story more interesting. Also the dialogue between characters was odd and not totally believable.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I haven't finished the book yet but I really like what I've read so far. The fact that fly fishing is what brought them all together makes the book very unique. I also didn't know that much about fly fishing before so I'm really enjoying learning about that as well.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
love_mi
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by love_mi »

I am still reading the book but I have found it very interesting how the story builds up. despite the slow start, I feel that the storyline has been really interesting. I also learned about fly fishing and sounds like a good sport. hoping to complete reading the story soon. :)
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I haven’t actually read this, but I like that it has an unusual subject, that being a group of women who get together to go fly fishing. I do think the stilted dialogue and slow pace would lessen my enjoyment, though.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

I liked this book more than I thought I would. As others have mentioned, though, the pacing was a bit slow, but I got used to it. What I couldn't get over, though, was how "cute" or "quaint" the whole story and dialogue tended to be. I also wish the author had decided to write this from one perspective as opposed to jumping among the five main characters. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the wisdom revealed throughout the story, and I rated it a 3 out of 4.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
Omoye+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omoye.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by Omoye+ »

There are friends turned sisters due to the strength of the bond of their friendship. I think this was one of such story. I read the review. Haven't read the book yet but I am going to because I just found out that it has discussion questions at the end and I love such because it ignites my thinking faculty. Thanks for your thoughts on the book.
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:29 I went into this thinking I wouldn't like it, but I didn't read the last couple "book of the month's" so I wanted to jump back into it. I LOVED this story. I enjoyed the way the characters became "real" friends as they "reeled" in the fish. The ways they shared their lives with each other were endearing. I was so incredibly sad in the end. I did not see that coming at all. I highly recommend this story to those who like to connect with their friends.
I'm so glad you enjoyed the story! ~Michelle Cummings
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>

Post by michmc3 »

KasieMiehlke wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 21:25 I was instantly drawn to the title for the simple fact that I have been fishing for most of my life. I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars. I LOVED the way the author captured all of the aspects of fishing, from the peacefulness of it to the anger of losing a fish. The way the theme was kept throughout the entire book while jumping between characters was amazing. I actually cried at the end of this book.
KasieMeihlke, I loved your review. Should I admit your review made me cry? I'm so glad the book touched you the way that it did.

Tight Lines! ~Michelle Cummings
michmc3

Post by michmc3 »

Christpaul150p wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 07:33 The characters were certainly the best part of the book. I felt like they were my friends by the end of the book. The weakest part of the book was the slow start. Since the book had five alternating perspectives, it took a while for each character to be introduced with a detailed backstory and how they met the other characters. Also, the beginning contained a lot of detail about what fly fishing is and related information about the equipment. Although it was interesting to learn about fly fishing, it made for a slow start to the plot.
I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who likes character-driven stories since I absolutely loved the characters
Thanks for your feedback Christpaul150p. This is consistent feedback I've gotten, so I now know to quicken the pace of the story at the beginning. This is my first novel, so I have learned a lot in the process.

I'm so glad you loved the characters! I'm starting to work on a sequel. Stay tuned! ~Michelle Cummings
michmc3

Post by michmc3 »

Bowens2018 wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 12:36 While this genre and subject is normally outside of my wheel-house, I decided to give this book a read and offer a review when finished. While I am only 1/4 finished with the book, The Reel Sisters captivated me from the first paragraph. So far, it has proven to be even more than it offered in the synopsis, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in journeys of self-discovery, especially if they are interested in fishing. So far, I have to give the book at a minimum 4 out of 5, and my final rating will probably be higher. As an student of psychology, this book has proven to be written in such a way that I can discern the individual protagonist's points-of-view and psychological make-ups. Mrs. Cummings varies her writing styles, bringing out these characteristics.
Looking forward to your final review! ~Michelle Cummings
michmc3

Post by michmc3 »

sasederquist wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 09:39 I was surprised by this book. Throughout thr story, Michelle takes the reader through love and tragedy, relatable mundane tasks to endearing stories of how these women came together becoming friends and pillars of strength for one another. Tips for fly fishing not only provided simple advice but also gives inspiration to stay focused, concentrate on what you can do and work to succeed at whatever it is you are trying. Fly fishing is quite like how it was described. You have to stay focused and positive in order to land those elusive trout. Couldn't put the book down once i got started and am going to reread it again in the very near future. Definitely recommend this book.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for your comment. ~Michelle Cummings
Biigggg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Biigggg »

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a good book,it teaches about friendship ,in life we are different and undergo different situations but at the end of the day friendship is the way ,to a suceessful life
roamnoor
Currently Reading: God? Very Probably
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roamnoor.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by roamnoor »

The Reel Sisters is an interesting read. The story centres around 5 women and how they deal with what life has to offer.
It is full of adventure and resonates well with readers and can create an affinity to the characters in the story.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I agree with N_R; the book taught me about fishing which I knew next to nothing about before. But the dialogue was hard to swallow and I have to add that it was also kind of slow

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”