Spoiler Alert - How did you feel about the ending of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Re: Spoiler Alert - How did you feel about the ending of the book?

Post by michmc3 » 05 Jun 2018, 12:35

bobbiebryner wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 10:52
I think it would seem as though she is out of character, but I know from experience that it is not always the case. My husband served in the army for several years. He was deployed to Iraq at the beginning of the war. During that time, I had our second son. When his unit was returning stateside, they asked for volunteers to remain in country during the transition between those that led the assault and those that would be occupying the area. My husband volunteered to stay behind. I was devastated. How could he not want to come home and see his son? Although on the outside I was the strong and caring wife and mother, I was falling apart inside. After he came home, he was different. His PTSD was so terrible, we all walked on eggshells around him. I remember he could make me so angry, and I would respond in ways I that I could not even imagine before. During one argument, I stormed out of the house leaving him and my children and walked several miles before I realized I had forgotten shoes. When you have to be strong for so long, it is dramatic when you finally break. I can see how and why this character responded the way she did. Of course, since I could empathize so much, I hated the ending.
Thank you for sharing Bobby, and thank you for the sacrifices you and your family have made for our freedom. I can definitely see how you related to Amanda. <3 Best wishes to you and your family. ~Michelle Cummings

ValBookReviews
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 124
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 390
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valbookreviews.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by ValBookReviews » 08 Jun 2018, 15:45

That certainly seems to be a matter of opinion. For what woman wouldn't have or haven't responded out of her emotions? But the ending was definitely so much more than I expected. Had Amanda not acted out character, it's possible the outcome would have been quite different.
"And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life". (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

holsam_87
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Currently Reading: Crime Interrupted
Bookshelf Size: 1101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 » 25 Aug 2018, 17:12

Amanda wasn't acting in character, and finding out that he husband would go back to his job was too much for her since he almost died.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Itskai88
2019 Reading Goal: 61
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1
2018 Reading Goal: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Itskai88 » 07 Jan 2019, 15:28

it was surprising given how put together she has been until then, what she did was risky and she didn't think about her kids. there would have been other ways to handle it i guess and that end would have been avoided because it didn't serve much of a purpose.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”