Are unmarried women still treated as outcasts in rural communities?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
mamalui
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Are unmarried women still treated as outcasts in rural communities?

Post by mamalui » 22 May 2018, 12:02

Yes very much so. There was once a house were I was renting and two girls fought. It was bad and even the police were involved. So as the matter was being settled they were taken taken to the area government official and guess what was the very first question he asked? "are any of you married?". I thought it odd as it had nothing to do with what happened. After being told that none of the girls had husbands he proceeded to tell them that if even one of them had a man living with them. None of what happened would have happened. This was a place where girls were given for marriage at the age of 12 mind you. It goes without saying the type of mentality that ruled and how sad life can be.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

mamalui
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui » 22 May 2018, 12:05

LoisCHenderson wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 09:46
Oh dear, my mistake (sincere apologies [and in the meantime have outed myself!]), but that's at least because I've always heard that left-handed people are more creative and intelligent than right-handed people. I think that regarding left-handedness as an aberration is just because unenlightened people tend to be afraid of anything that is different to themselves. I would feel greatly honoured to be left-handed - you should count yourself fortunate!
Why thank you Lois I am left handed and super proud of it. :tiphat:
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

Jgideon
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Points of View - The Weapons by Tony Thorne MBE

Post by Jgideon » 31 May 2018, 06:19

Yes, unmarried women are still treated quite differently compared to their married counterparts. I have been born and raised in a community where every lady is supposed to be married otherwise they face some form of stigma from the society. It's sad but true.

JR Mercier
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier » 01 Jun 2018, 04:43

There is definitely a stigma associated with an older woman not being married and this happens everywhere although I do believe it's harder in rural communities.

Shrabastee
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 155
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 252
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Shrabastee » 15 Jun 2018, 02:46

I don't know about rural areas, but in my social structure, I have found this 'old maid' theme to be quite prevalent even in so-called modernized metropolitan cities. After a certain age, people (including your parents, relatives, distant relatives, neighbours and entirely unknown ones) become overly interested in marrying you off. If you do not agree, you're too arrogant; if you still keep maintaining an unmarried status, you're a subject of much gossip; if you get older while in the same status, you're just a miserable, sympathy-requiring sad old maid. No matter how advanced people think they are, they seem to be stuck in a mental make-up worthy of the stone age!

joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa » 19 Jul 2018, 08:44

With women empancipation and empowering of the girl child, an interesting scenario has arisen whereby women are increasingly attaining higher education levels than previously, and getting ahead professionally than in times past. Since not all men are able to match these impressive achievements, these high performing women start to be viewed as "threatening" to the men of average means. I mean, who would like to marry a wife who has higher academic achievements, is ranked more highly at work and/or earns more than the man? This dilemma finds many a professional lady in limbo as far as marriage is concerned.

Having said that, my take is that as long as the man and woman are committed to the marriage and each other, and are willing to fully take up their role irrespective of other socio-economic factors, then they should not be afraid of joining together in holy matrimony.

Kister Bless
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kister Bless » 23 Jul 2018, 11:52

It's so unfortunate that some unmarried women are being treated as outcasts in rural communities and even in towns. I wish it stopped because some of those unmarried women have their reasons as to why they are still unmarried. Others it's not even their wish.

booklysis
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by booklysis » 13 Aug 2018, 09:00

Unmarried women, both educated and uneducated are considered as a burden in the rural community. There is some problem with the rural norms and beliefs in this regard.

Babarino
Currently Reading: Factory Man
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babarino.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Babarino » 21 Aug 2018, 20:40

I think in rural communities so much of life revolves around marriage and kids that you are considered to have not started your life until you have a family.

Bushra Nasim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bushra-nasim.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Bushra Nasim » 09 Sep 2018, 15:11

Although marriage is an important chapter in one's life, it shouldn't be forced, or else the consequences are hard to bear for both the partners.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”