Does Anyone Else Struggle to Identify with the Author?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Kenko Betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Re: Does Anyone Else Struggle to Identify with the Author?

Post by Kenko Betty »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 11:36 I can understand where you are coming from. However, even if I don't run with the bulls, I think that there are lessons we can still take away from his experiences. Plus, I think the main point of the book is to be aware of those around you that would teach YOU life lessons.
. My thoughts exactly. I think the reason you feel this way is because you aren't a bull. When you become just as rich, you would be able to relate better. I too feel that way. I believe we are not alone.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Kenko Betty wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 11:39
kandscreeley wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 11:36 I can understand where you are coming from. However, even if I don't run with the bulls, I think that there are lessons we can still take away from his experiences. Plus, I think the main point of the book is to be aware of those around you that would teach YOU life lessons.
. My thoughts exactly. I think the reason you feel this way is because you aren't a bull. When you become just as rich, you would be able to relate better. I too feel that way. I believe we are not alone.
You are right! Running with the bulls story is just like a warning to me if ever I will encounter like those things. I have an idea what to do next. :idea:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am not as rich or accomplished as Rob White, but I felt his sincerity in sharing the top 21 lessons he learned. His story only shows that one doesn't stop learning lessons, however rich, accomplished, or old one gets. The only success we all need is to know we have given our best in our endeavors, whoever and whatever we are right now. At least, that's how this book speaks to me.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I will admit that for the first half of the book I felt we had a lot in common and I felt somewhat out of place when he began talking about the helicopter ride, the biplane experience and so on. I found when he talked more about his humble beginnings and those early experiences I felt more connected to the author. There were definitely moments I felt excluded from the conversation. It's good to know I am not the only one who felt that way. Nonetheless, this book is a account of his life which gives him license to share what he deems important to his journey. Perhaps his book was intentionally written this way to engage with various audiences. I was definitely able to find areas of the book that made me say "Wow, I feel the same way" or "I used to think that way too". There is no doubt Rob White has accomplished many things in his life and it would be unfair to say his book does not reflect that. Do I feel that those accomplishments were kind of thrown at me? Not at all. If he didn't include most if not all his experiences, I think readers would have demanded more after reading his book.
rs1977
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs1977.html
Latest Review: The Composition of Honey by J. L. Brandenburg

Post by rs1977 »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 15:30 I am not holding anything against Rob White personally; in fact, I am very happy for him and his successes. However, I did struggle to empathize with him as he was learning lessons that involved running with the bulls, declining helicopter rides, doing tricks in a biplane, and lending out his Porsche. I related more with him during the first half of his book (his childhood), which I would argue made its lessons feel more effective. Again, I am not disparaging his wealth, I'm only exploring the relative nature of his lessons. What do you all think?

-Gunnar
I agree. Specifically, I felt uncomfortable with long list of gurus that were mentioned towards the beginning of the book, which to me sounded more like bragging rather than giving authenticity and connecting with the audience. Some stories (especially the buried gas station one) sounded like made-up (even if it had really happened), which lessen the credibility of the book.

While pearls of wisdom are great, I feel nowadays they are ubiquitous, and hence, world over, people are cautious about whom to listen to and what to believe in. Also, everyone goes through their own 'aha's in life which lead to insights and transform their lives, so is there a need for lessons from someone else - is a question.

As a piece of inspiration, yes, the book adds some value, but would I continue to follow Rob and his sayings as a fan in the future? Nope. Thanks for asking.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

Completely agree.
With respect, I wonder if the author has lost some of the depth, heart and empathy he had for others...?
Or perhaps his later stories are simply a reflection of the larger crowds and specific self-help audience who attend his conferences, that he may be speaking to and writing for in his re-telling of experiences...?
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Strongbob25 »

Yes! Very much so. He is from a different generation from me and literally views the world through a different pair of eyes. A lot of his "can do" attitude was lost on me, since it may not be so easy to just "go to college and then get a great teaching job and then strike it rich in the real estate market" in 2018 as it was in the 1960s. Furthermore, as others have said, a lot of his interests and passions don't really match my own. While I love travel and would love to see the bulls in Spain someday, I don't really care about fancy cars or doing tricks in a stunt plane.

He definitely lost me after a while@
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by E G Suth »

Like you, I struggled to identify with afew of the later chapters and preferred the first half of the book; however I still enjoyed reading them. The chapter about him running with bulls did annoy me though.
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
BookWild
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwild.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BookWild »

I enjoyed reading this book. That said, I did struggle at times to identify with Mr. White, especially toward the end after he became successful and was able to do so many things most people will never experience. However, I admire him for being able to learn from his experiences instead of just glossing over them because he can afford it.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

One thing is for sure: Rob White is rich and really well-accomplished in life. Both these things are yet to feature in my life. However, he seems to have shared those lessons with us in all sincerity. I think what we need to do in this scenario is understand that no matter how rich, accomplished, or satisfied we are in life, there's still so much learning we would need to do - throughout life.
celiiia
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celiiia.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by celiiia »

While yes, our lifestyles differ in many ways, we can still find many similarities with the author.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

Rob managed to beat all the societal set limits. The solitary life that he led at first after rising above these social limits is what I identify with the author. A typical life I have lived. I believe I will make better strides and achieve my goals too like him.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

I agree with you and can understand where you are coming from. I just couldn't really relate to anything at all, which was odd, but to each his own
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

I agree. I related a lot more to the beginning half of the book where he was experiences more realistic events. Lots of people go through similar things. However I have never done any of the more exciting events (e.g. bull running)
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I identify totally with the author. We all have our choices of hobbies and thrills. I do not begrudge him his. He may not approve of mine either. That said, despite the different life choices we all make, the lessons he learned from his choices can be extended to other scenarios. I feel that largely, he has a good heart and he is not afraid to admit when his attitude or feelings are wrong or unwholesome. I admire that greatly about him.

It is a digital age. Authors are advised to leave a link that readers can use to connect more with them on social media or the internet. I see nothing wrong with having his website at the end of the book. In fact it would be abnormal if there was no other way of getting more information about the author inserted in the book.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”