Did you like the "Myth I Believed" feature of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Re: Did you like the "Myth I Believed" feature of the book?

Post by eBookreviewer »

In my opinion it's interesting "the Myth I Believed" and I like the way he did it.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 09:43 Actually yes, this feature enables us to know what he believed before and what experience he gained that changed his opinion and belief.
I agree. The feature is important to the overall structure of each story.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I did like the "myth I believed" feature of the book. I found I could identify more with the myths in the book than with the specific life experiences of the author. The "myth/truth" function universalized the book and made it more widely applicable to a greater audience.

That said, the myths and truths could have been more pithy, succinct, or word-smithed. I would have liked more punch in the myth and truth statements.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Kenko Betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Kenko Betty »

It was an innovative way of writing for me. The first time I've ever seen a it being used. I saw it ok for the author to give his personal take at the end. First because it serves the purpose of a memoir and secondly, it increases the readers lessons drawn( in case the authors lesson wasn't the same with the readers as was the case with me 99% of the time).
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

jaylperry wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 11:11 I did like the "myth I believed" feature of the book. I found I could identify more with the myths in the book than with the specific life experiences of the author. The "myth/truth" function universalized the book and made it more widely applicable to a greater audience.

That said, the myths and truths could have been more pithy, succinct, or word-smithed. I would have liked more punch in the myth and truth statements.
Your learning in this book is brilliant. We can easily relate to the myth because it happens in different setting not just like the way Rob experienced it. :idea:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

I did at first. I also appreciated the change of mindset after the lesson had been learned.
However, it then became a bit much in later chapters and felt somewhat tedious, even forced on some occasions.
It is simultaneously helpful to have a pattern for ease of learning and remembering, and unhelpful if the same pattern rules the book and forces some of the learning.
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

It was the draw to read to the end just so I could see how the belief was changed and the new reality. It is certainly an interest-holding concept.
mayc
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mayc »

I really loved reading it. This book is unique. I was intrigued about the myths and the lessons that I'm about to know that's why I kept on reading.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The "Myth I Believed" feature helped me to understand each story with better context. I am not sure if this means that I appreciated what the author expected the reader to appreciate, but I am sure I benefited from this section considerably.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

That was one of my favourite structural parts of the book. I liked it because it made me interested in reading more and I was intrigued as to what the lesson was once the myth was broken
Kristina_novak

Post by Kristina_novak »

I thought this book was a little boring in the beginning but by the end I began to love it
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I loved it! It was nice and kept me wondering how the myth would change at the end of each chapter. it made one quite expectant. Awesome!
Taiwo Elvis

Post by Taiwo Elvis »

Not bad, infact this is a very good myth
Actually I don't feel like reading it but at certain point of my reading I come across some interesting part which got me inspired to reach through it
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Palfree »

i did like that format. It made me look forward to reading the chapter to see what he learned. I am glad that the myth and what the author discovered was listed at the end of each chapter. It provided a good way to summarize what had just occurred.
Mitchell Starc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mitchell-starc.html
Latest Review: Bread Fat by Joseph Eldor

Post by Mitchell Starc »

Honestly, I think it, the author meant for us to draw some of our own conclusions and discussions. I really liked the myth in the book

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”