Did you like the "Myth I Believed" feature of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Re: Did you like the "Myth I Believed" feature of the book?

Post by uyky »

It was a good addition to the book. I did not like all of them, but that is just a personal preference. The idea itself was good.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I did like this feature because it showed us how the lessons in his life actually changed his way of thinking.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

PriyaRD wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 01:44 I liked the idea of the author stating what he believed in the opening of the chapter and then end the story what he discovered after learning. It gives more meaning to the chapters.
I agree, I think the idea of the format was good. The only improvement I think would be removing the "myth" from the end section. It felt pretty redundant to me.
orangehornet57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by orangehornet57 »

It was Ok but unnecessary.
Emmanuel Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-michael.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Emmanuel Michael »

I do like this feature of the book because the Rob summarized what untruth secret he had believed and how he would realized this truth later on in life
OPgirl9122
Currently Reading: Growing Up Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by OPgirl9122 »

I liked the "Myths I Believed" feature of the Book. It's like a gift wrapped in an intricate design. And the only way to see the treats inside is to tear the pages excitedly as the present is revealed. Therefore, I felt like a child being offered with it and thus I can't wait to solve the mystery. Nice style. It's unique and point-blank.
sarbee
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbee.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by sarbee »

I'm just about halfway through this book, but I have to say the "Myths I Believed" motif is one of the things I'm absolutely loving so far. I also enjoy that he shares the lesson he learned at the end of each section and contrasts it with the myth. My impression so far isn't that he's telling the readers what their lesson should be; the book is about him and his experiences, which he stated from the beginning. I think it only makes sense that he shares what he learned from each encounter. While it's true that the lessons he learned may not apply to everyone, the author sharing his lesson doesn't detract from the meaning that I take from each chapter.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I really liked this feature. It is quite unique and it made the book even more interesting and engaging. I liked the way he used this feature to tell his story. He used it effectively to demonstrate his growth or change in perspective after every experience he encountered.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

These feature makes the story very intriguing. I liked it.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Yes! It makes the stories easy to relate to for the reader. It doesn't require for the reader to think about what the author is trying to communicate to the audience. We. as the readers, also enjoy the stories more because we actually get to learn from the author's real life experiences by Himself pointing them out. I absolutely like is.
RASchneider
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raschneider.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by RASchneider »

I read the book, and found the “myth” guidance distracting. I like discovering meaning, not being told “This is what I’m trying to show you.”

Also, some chapters’ “This is what I learned” seemed like non-sequiturs from the myth.

Mind you, “priming the reader with what to look for in advance can be an effective tool, just not one I prefer or would use... except, maybe I do: chapter epigrams using quotes or song lyrics are subtle primers, and I use those techniques.
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I kept going back and forth on my opinion with the "myth I believed" moments. I think, in retrospect, I really liked the idea, but did not always appreciate the execution (especially when the "myth" was obvious [CHEATING IS OKAY!] or when the "reality" crept into hokey territory).
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

I like the way the author organizes his story because it has something left that will make the reader to configure it. It is just like a puzzle you need to solve.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I often times benefit from learning or gaining an insight into how others view a matter. Sometimes, it helps for correlation and other times, an issue for discussion. I don't think it was wrong of the author sharing what he learned. As a reader, I'm entitled to pick my own lesson but at the same time, get a glimpse of how the author viewed the same matter. All such thoughts make for a well - rounded mindset.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
story3girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-story3girl.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by story3girl »

I didn't care for this at all. Most of the lessons were cliches and some of them didn't make sense at all.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”