What did you think of the author and his journey?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What did you think of the author and his journey?

Post by holsam_87 »

SPasciuti wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 15:34
missiontrainer2000 wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 13:20
SPasciuti wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 16:16
At times I found him a little self-absorbed, particularly when he would always have a very convenient example of how he passed on these lessons that he learned. But I also appreciated that, oddly enough, if only because it's rather useless to say we learned a lesson from someone and not have an example of how we put that lesson into practice, wouldn't you say? If we didn't, I imagine that it would be arguable that we didn't actually learn the lesson at all. Rob White seems like a very thoughtful and interesting guy and I imagine he'd be rather fascinating to sit down and have a conversation with.
I agree. I appreciated his examples as well, maybe so much so that I didn't really consider that it seems a little arrogant until I started discussing on this forum (after I posted my review!). My feelings are a little mixed now, too, though it is an autobiography, so talking about himself and what he's learned throughout his life is natural for the book type.
Haha, yeah. I remember while reading it that I came back to check other people's opinions and it sort of cemented my prior thought that he seemed a little full of himself. But, yeah. I dunno. The more I think about it, part of me wonders if the pat on the back thing he kind of gives himself throughout his narrative is kind of important? Not because I think he should feel full of himself, but rather because if he didn't feel like he was taking these lessons and teaching them to others, his advice would be less about passing on the experiences and teachings of life and more about simply saying something like, "this is how you should be."

I'm kind of back and forth on it, lately. Cause as I read it, I hated that he always had a really convenient story for how he passed on the lesson. But at the same time, I'm a HUGE believer in Pay it Forward and, ultimately, he at least made sincere efforts to do so, which means something to me. So I think mixed feelings on him as a person is a really natural place to be as far as opinions go.
I believe that his convenient stories stem from his educator background. Moments, where one has a teachable moment for children, friends, and family, are the best. However, that doesn't mean that I didn't find him a bit arrogant.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I did not think the author has centered the story on himself, He just shares his own experience, maybe not all people feel the same way. I really enjoy the book, and I am currently searching "gurus" in my own life.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Rob's journey exemplifies what one can do if he just dares to take a step further, beyond his expected limits. The way he took a leap in his career choice, not once but twice-once deciding to go to college and the other time deciding to leave teaching and become an entrepreneur-were inspiring. The way he was in relentless search for something more in his life was a lesson in itself. Although he gained my respect for learning his lessons from commonplace people- the 'ordinary gurus' and passing them on, at times he really seemed too sure of himself, too self-absorbed, even too self-centered. In fact I am glad that Margaret came along to lift him from that self-obsession. But one thing I have to admit that he was very honest in portraying his own character, highlighting his faults and how he rectified them.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I really enjoyed reading And Then I Met Margaret. I liked most of the stories and how he linked things from his early life to adult life. I kept wondering "How in the world, was he able to order his life into such learning moments and be able to share them as he did?" It almost seems like he made things up, but then again, all the stories were believable. It sure makes me think about people and situations in my life in which I may have learned life lessons.

I also think that his book is a GREAT way to write an autobiography to leave behind. I sure wish my grandparents and ancestors had written a book like this for me to read about them, instead of knowing so very little about them.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

It was quite a journey. I have never been a lover of self-help books but this stole my heart. How he moved from nothing to something was just amazing. Indeed, behind every successful person there's a story to tell.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1880
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

It was great to discover that although the author becomes a successful entrepreneur in his life, he is actually a good writer! This might be the result of his short teaching experience, in the preliminary stage of his career! The book grows in perfection, as it progresses towards the ending! The author sense of humor, sometimes expressed in the story, comes from his deep understanding of life! I find the ideas of the author, original. They express his complete philosophy of life!
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I think the author clearly went on a journey from start to finish and changed as a person in an admirable way. But sometimes it wasn't that easy to relate to his more flashy stories
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I deeply appreciate his boldness to share many of his life experiences. However, coming from a background where things are way tougher, I don't think his experiences matches mine.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”