What did you think of the author and his journey?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What did you think of the author and his journey?

Post by mnmueller »

I think Rob White is rather self-absorbed and vain. I felt a lot of the later stories in particular were chosen at least as much to represent the unique experiences he has had as they were for the lesson they could relate to. For example, the running with the bulls scenario. I do not believe that was the only situation he found himself in that would illustrate the lesson about how to react to being upset.

Also, even though I liked that he showed how he put a lesson into practice, I felt that part of the reason he told us these stories was to show off. In almost every scenario his examples of passing on information helped that person improve. While that is inspiring, it also feels a little unrealistic. I realize that's why he chose them, but there were some examples that felt more like 'look how awesome I am' and less like he was giving the reader a way to use the lesson he or she has learned to help others.

His journey reads like the typical hero's journey, where he starts from a humble background and moves on into deeds that only the elite will ever get to experience. I think he wrote the book with the intention of being the inspiration he clearly sees himself as, touching lives and helping people all over. While it feeds his vanity, I think he honestly meant to help people.
Luya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Luya »

I found him to be a rather interesting person with a fair amount of character to him. I think there's definitely something respectable in the fact that he considered the people around him important teachers, almost implying that every person we meet has a lesson for us to teach us how to live our lives in a more meaningful and impact way. And I appreciate his desire to learn from each of those people.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

The author has had a fantastic growth in his life from
his simple beginnings to what he is right now. But as
he himself would agree, growth is continuous, and one
cannot rest saying that they have seen it all. As the
learning stops, the transformation and the growth stops,
which would feel like death. So, I guess the author's
journey should continue and he should inspire many
others in the future.
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

I definitely agree with those who found him arrogant and rather self absorbed. But I'm one of those people that really hates it when others feel the need to talk about how they've helped people, or talk about their wealth. And as he does seem to be in the business of self-help and helping others to the point where he wrote a book about it, I might just not be the kind of person this book is really for.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

Mekkinism wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 04:34 I definitely agree with those who found him arrogant and rather self absorbed. But I'm one of those people that really hates it when others feel the need to talk about how they've helped people, or talk about their wealth. And as he does seem to be in the business of self-help and helping others to the point where he wrote a book about it, I might just not be the kind of person this book is really for.
I'm with you, but I don't think we're wrong here. The man has had a ton of privilege in his life that I think he's been completely blind to. There's one part in the book where he goes in late at night and randomly starts helping clean the kitchen at his restaurant, and he describes the other workers as awed or something. I remember thinking that there was no way those workers were impressed with him, probably they were confused as hell as to why he decided to show up in the middle of the night and clean one time. That's what I'd be thinking at least XD
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emmanae »

DustinPBrown wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 10:02
Mekkinism wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 04:34 I definitely agree with those who found him arrogant and rather self absorbed. But I'm one of those people that really hates it when others feel the need to talk about how they've helped people, or talk about their wealth. And as he does seem to be in the business of self-help and helping others to the point where he wrote a book about it, I might just not be the kind of person this book is really for.
I'm with you, but I don't think we're wrong here. The man has had a ton of privilege in his life that I think he's been completely blind to. There's one part in the book where he goes in late at night and randomly starts helping clean the kitchen at his restaurant, and he describes the other workers as awed or something. I remember thinking that there was no way those workers were impressed with him, probably they were confused as hell as to why he decided to show up in the middle of the night and clean one time. That's what I'd be thinking at least XD
This is such a good point. I didn't find it that way but your comment has me thinking I need to check my privilege. xD Always good to look at things from many perspectives.
allijgran
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by allijgran »

story3girl wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 10:31 I really didn't care for him. His journey seemed to be in the direction of gaining more money, fame, and popularity for himself.
I agree completely. I found the author off putting in his arrogant and egotistical nature. His self obsession overwhelmed the essence of the “gurus” he mentions. I just found myself hating him by the end rather than hoping to his redemption
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

I felt that there was no heart or soul in his journey. It was all about his selfish gain.
BookInspector300
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookinspector300.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BookInspector300 »

I found him a bit self absorbed and someone who felt certain things didn't pertain to him. But I also felt like I was going on the journey with him.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

I think it is amazing how he took little instances and used them to turn his life in a different direction. I will certainly be paying better attention to what is happening around me.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

It takes an interesting person to create an inspiring story. I think the author was able to teach us many things while at the same time telling us his own story. His personality is easy to grasp as one continues to read.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I think the author's journey is just the beginning, he still has a long way to go long the path of self-awareness and enlightenment. But it was nice that he chose to share the little he has learnt. Such spiritual journeys are something that every person should take at least once in a life time, if time and resources permit.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I liked the earlier versions of his life more. As a child, he had a sweet personality before his quest for money and more money blinded him.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I have reviewed this book and while i was at it, I was looking for the right term for some of his behavior that I did not like. And now that I have read some of the comments, I realized these words are arrogant, self absorbed, full of him self and narcissistic. Thank you!
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

I admired the way he could learn profound lessons from almost any situation. :shock2:

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”