Which is your favourite quote from the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Re: Which is your favourite quote from the book?

Post by KamalK »

PriyaRD wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 22:24 I liked the quote in the introduction.
"I believe luck isn't something that happens to me; luck is something that happens through me".
Sometimes we believe things happen because of luck but, "we" let that thing in life to happen. If we don't, it doesn't happen. So the primary factor is "us" either it's a good thing or a bad thing happening to us.
This is very inspiring. I have been meaning to read this book for some time now, and these quotes, in all the comments are making me want to read it even more.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

My favorite quote was, “You can live a life of hesitation, or you can live a life of inspiration.” I hesitate with everything I do. I have to think of the million things that could go possibly go wrong on any big decision. I normally dream about all the wrong things that can happen too. I would love to try to stop hesitating and start inspiring.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Wow, it seems like every single line in this book is a quote in itself. A lot of lines to jot down and put on the wall for some dailg inspiration.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

My favorite quote thus far is " ...if we’re to do something strikingly new, we must be willing to think
something strikingly new about ourselves". There is just so much truth in that statement.
Lalalaurasanto
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalalaurasanto.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Lalalaurasanto »

"Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don't want to go..." page 126

This was one a few quotes I literally wrote down in own of my notebooks while reading. I would never have thought a quote about racing cars would resonate with me as much as it did --I hate driving!

I think it stuck with me because of where I am in my life right now. I feel like I'm in somewhat of a rut, but I've been unsure of how to get out of it. I know I need to focus, but I guess I often focus on where I don't want to be instead of where I do!

From now on, though, I'm going to picture myself as a success and look ahead to that success. That's where I want to go, so that's where I'm looking.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Syaakiirroh
Currently Reading: The Diary of a snoopy cat
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syaakiirroh.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Syaakiirroh »

SPasciuti wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 04:01 And Then I Met Margaret is pretty chalk full of rather inspirational and impactful quotes, a number of them being the revised beliefs at the end of each chapter.

Ultimately, I think the quote that impacted me the most and gave me a small bit of hope, in a way, was near the end of the book. As Rob meets Peter once again, he makes a statement of rather magical thinking, one that could almost negate the efforts Peter has taken to push through his difficulties and improve himself and his life. In the end, the statement does the opposite, presenting Peter with the opportunity to return the comment with a rebuttal that shows his own power in choosing to make healthy choices over the ones that were killing him. For this reason, the quote I've posted below means a lot to me.

“Peter, this is a miracle,” I said. “No, it’s not, Bawbby. I just decided not to die.”
This quote got me thinking of our capabilities to carry on and move forward to the next step. There is so much more than just letting fate doing its job.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

There are so many inspirational quotes in this book. But there are two quotes that particularly got to me. "Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don’t want to go". Another one is the quote "if it's to be, it's up to me" and there are no few who are selected to win.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

"Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don’t want to go". I love this quote. Our guide is the things what we want but now a days out of 10 people almost 7 are not doing what they want. Sometimes it lead them astray.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

"A free man is free, Rob, because at some point in his life he is willing to stop hiding and be himself."
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open. :techie-studyinggray:
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

Being free from the expectation of others will make our life comfortable without bothering other people. We can move freely, exercise our skills, think optimistically, and even to exercise our own will with the help of God.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker’s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

I read this book a while back and, if I'm honest, there are so many good quotes that I think it would be hard to choose just one. I think it is time for me to go back and read it again. :)
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

Georgialouise wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 15:24 I read this book a while back and, if I'm honest, there are so many good quotes that I think it would be hard to choose just one. I think it is time for me to go back and read it again. :)
I agree with what you have noticed! Too many words to meditate. When the reader is hopeless, but upon reading this one, surely the reader will not find this book vanity at all. :tiphat:
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

I agree with the commenters above—“Magic deliberately happens because of me.” It reminds me of the law of attraction, which is something that I’ve been thinking about lately.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Lalalaurasanto wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 16:16 "Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don't want to go..." page 126

This was one a few quotes I literally wrote down in own of my notebooks while reading. I would never have thought a quote about racing cars would resonate with me as much as it did --I hate driving!

I think it stuck with me because of where I am in my life right now. I feel like I'm in somewhat of a rut, but I've been unsure of how to get out of it. I know I need to focus, but I guess I often focus on where I don't want to be instead of where I do!

From now on, though, I'm going to picture myself as a success and look ahead to that success. That's where I want to go, so that's where I'm looking.
What I love about this is that it takes me back to those moments when my dad was teaching me how to drive and he always told me not to look at the headlights of the other cars because when you do look, you tend to tilt your wheel just slightly in that direction, even though you definitely don't want to veer into the other lane.

I never really thought of it in any other terms, but I love that it influenced you this way so that I can now. Admittedly, I didn't really put much thought about it this way while reading the book and I appreciate that your comment opened my eyes to it.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Syaakiirroh wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 23:52
SPasciuti wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 04:01 And Then I Met Margaret is pretty chalk full of rather inspirational and impactful quotes, a number of them being the revised beliefs at the end of each chapter.

Ultimately, I think the quote that impacted me the most and gave me a small bit of hope, in a way, was near the end of the book. As Rob meets Peter once again, he makes a statement of rather magical thinking, one that could almost negate the efforts Peter has taken to push through his difficulties and improve himself and his life. In the end, the statement does the opposite, presenting Peter with the opportunity to return the comment with a rebuttal that shows his own power in choosing to make healthy choices over the ones that were killing him. For this reason, the quote I've posted below means a lot to me.

“Peter, this is a miracle,” I said. “No, it’s not, Bawbby. I just decided not to die.”
This quote got me thinking of our capabilities to carry on and move forward to the next step. There is so much more than just letting fate doing its job.
Exactly! And the fact that Peter was so proactive in turning his life around makes me feel so happy. We can accomplish amazing and life changing things with our own actions and there's never any guarantee that fate will help us. But we know if we work to do what's best for our health, we can really improve our lives. And I just love that.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”