Which is your favourite quote from the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
sealionb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sealionb.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Re: Which is your favourite quote from the book?

Post by sealionb »

My favorite quote is "We all possess the power of compassion......." It's short and sweet, and incredibly relevant to what's happening in our world today. With all the bad things happening right now, it's important to remember that even a smile or a helping hand can ease someone else's pain.
Kylou
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kylou.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Kylou »

The quotes resonates with me because I decided that this year I WILL make changes in my life to align with my life goals and dreams. This book is a great start to the year and has motivated me to keep pushing forward. Anyway, the quote is "If you ponder a great start but don't take action, your dreams remain dreams. Take action, and your dreams can take flight."
Keneenm14
Currently Reading: A Mother's Conviction
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Keneenm14 »

Raksha Rakhecha wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 07:56 We came across many quotes in the book. My favourite quote is, "when you settle for nothing less than excellence, you become part of a rare species that's in huge demand."

Did you find that one quote which is impactful? What is that :?:
Yes, I loved that quote and I still do because, when I read that quote, I thought about what the meaning meant to me. I started to remember when a friend of mine was telling me something related to that quote. I understand the quote as “when you settle for less, that’s what you get” I mean it’s tottally true. It’s the same as saying “if you aren’t confident in what you do, you will fail.” That’s my understanding of it because my dad always tell me “what you think is what you get,” that’s why it’s always better to think of good outcomes to get good outcomes. So if you settle for less than excellence that’s what you’re telling yourself you want because that’s what you’ll get. People’s understanding can be different but I love my meaning of it because as soon as I saw that quote I stopped and those were what came into mind.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

Raksha Rakhecha wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 12:03
Sincerely wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 03:15 There were so many quotes in the book and all happen to be my favourite, but if am to choose one, then i'd settle on
'If you ponder but don't take action, your dreams remain dreams.Take action and your dreams can take flight'
I like this one 😀
I really like this one as well. I sometimes have a few too many pipe dreams.
daratega11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daratega11.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by daratega11 »

My favourite quote from this book is, "if it is to be, it is up to me".
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

My favourite quote was: " You must become your own instructor if you plan to win."
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

I agree - And Then I Met Margaret was full of inspiration. My favorite quote is one many are mentioning: "'Peter, this is a miracle,' I said. 'No, it’s not, Bawbby. I just decided not to die.'” I *love* that Peter claims ownership of his efforts and what he went through. We all have a choice: we can choose to be active or passive. Saying something is a miracle is all well and good if you believe in a higher power - by all means give credit whatever God(s) you believe are responsible. But you also need to give credit to yourself, otherwise you aren't ever gonna grow and learn to keep making those good choices.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

SPasciuti wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 04:01 And Then I Met Margaret is pretty chalk full of rather inspirational and impactful quotes, a number of them being the revised beliefs at the end of each chapter.

Ultimately, I think the quote that impacted me the most and gave me a small bit of hope, in a way, was near the end of the book. As Rob meets Peter once again, he makes a statement of rather magical thinking, one that could almost negate the efforts Peter has taken to push through his difficulties and improve himself and his life. In the end, the statement does the opposite, presenting Peter with the opportunity to return the comment with a rebuttal that shows his own power in choosing to make healthy choices over the ones that were killing him. For this reason, the quote I've posted below means a lot to me.

“Peter, this is a miracle,” I said. “No, it’s not, Bawbby. I just decided not to die.”
This may be just the quote to make me read this book. I was trying to find a good reason to do this in spite of my natural aversion to inspirational book. Thanks.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Annogor
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogor.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Annogor »

Peters “I just decided not to die” Bawbby is my favourite quote.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

E G Suth wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 07:56 Honestly it's so hard to choose my favourite quote from this book as it is packed with inspirational messages and themes. However if I had to pick my favourite it would be 'Stop ordinary thoughts from reigning in your mind [and] extraordinary thinking can begin'. This sentence really made me stop and think when I read it, as it highlights the limits of our own boundary's and suggests that we all can achieve our dreams if we truly let ourselves believe we can.

For some reason this really resonated with me and stayed in the back of my mind while reading through the rest of the book. I don't think I'm going to forget it for a while...
This is my favourite quote as well! :D
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by E G Suth »

Wasif Ahmed wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 04:59
E G Suth wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 07:56 Honestly it's so hard to choose my favourite quote from this book as it is packed with inspirational messages and themes. However if I had to pick my favourite it would be 'Stop ordinary thoughts from reigning in your mind [and] extraordinary thinking can begin'. This sentence really made me stop and think when I read it, as it highlights the limits of our own boundary's and suggests that we all can achieve our dreams if we truly let ourselves believe we can.

For some reason this really resonated with me and stayed in the back of my mind while reading through the rest of the book. I don't think I'm going to forget it for a while...
This is my favourite quote as well! :D
Yay! It's nice to know that someone else noticed this quote and loved it as much as I did :lol2:
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

Gikonyo Caroline wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 11:43 A free man is free because at some point in his life he's willing to stop hiding and be himself.
I haven't read the book but I love this quote. It is so true, it hurts my soul!
pilvi
Currently Reading: Hyvää ja halpaa
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilvi.html
Latest Review: The Dying Teach Us How to Live by Patricia M. Acker, Author and Illustrator

Post by pilvi »

I haven't read the book, but it's definitely right down my alley, so I love reading these quotes. Lovely idea for a thread!
Kylou wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 14:53 The quotes resonates with me because I decided that this year I WILL make changes in my life to align with my life goals and dreams. This book is a great start to the year and has motivated me to keep pushing forward. Anyway, the quote is "If you ponder a great start but don't take action, your dreams remain dreams. Take action, and your dreams can take flight."
This one is really relevant to my life right now. I'm great at dreaming, and less than great taking (and keeping taking!) action. I'm working towards it, and it's good to be reminded every now and then :)
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

kdstrack wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 12:51 My favorite quote was on p. 19, "If a black cat prowls around in your mind, it will stop you from seeing the golden opportunities right in front of you." Attitude is so much of what shapes our character. We have a choice in whatever circumstance or situation we find ourselves - think dark thoughts or see the opportunity.
This is my favorite quote too. I believe most of the demons we keep fighting in our lives we have created them ourselves.
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ASB_1 »

'If you ponder but don't take action, your dreams remain dreams.Take action and your dreams can take flight'
That was my personal favourite for all the inspiration it radiates. I simply love it.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”