Who is your favourite Ordinary Guru in the book and why?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Re: Who is your favourite Ordinary Guru in the book and why?

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

TrishKissane wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 06:38 Mine was the nameless man in Chapter 3 (Vitim's Scenario) because he did something that had such a ripple effect much later. The deer was also cool :D
Yeah. I think that was really cool. :D
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

My best was definitely Pete. He comes across with such vigour and enthusiasm. He chooses to live - but he worked at it too, listening to the doctor, taking exercise etc. He took control of his life. He's a real inspiration.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I believe that each guru had an important lesson and impact, but my favorite would have to be Pete. There was just something so inspiring about how in the end it is up to us how we will live our life. Pete decided not to die, so he didn't. While many things are out of control in life, our responses don't have to be. In the end, optimism (or just being plain stubborn...) may just be the most important.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

This is a hard one because I have four favourite ordinary gurus, that is Debbie, Peter, Pete, Margare but if i have to choose I will go with Debbie, Rob's student. It is her thought provoking question that challenged Rob to muster up the courage and become who he wanted to be rather than the Rob, his friends, family and society wanted him to be. Sometimes we find it easy to dish out advice to others but are reluctant to walk the talk and follow our own advice. But life often makes us face situations where we must confront our fears and mediocrity as we go on a self mastery life class to do as we tell others and lead from the front demanding from others what we equally demand of ourselves.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

My favorite was Philippa and the chocolate cupcake caper! Philippa was really classy. She realized from the beginning what was going on, but she just played along. No words of reproach, just a slight tap on the shoulder when she got up to leave. Maybe the elderly have something to teach us with all their experience and wisdom. Go Philippa!
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Yaone wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 05:24Aunt Teresa
Totally agree with this - it really stuck with me.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 14:49 My favorite was Philippa and the chocolate cupcake caper! Philippa was really classy. She realized from the beginning what was going on, but she just played along. No words of reproach, just a slight tap on the shoulder when she got up to leave. Maybe the elderly have something to teach us with all their experience and wisdom. Go Philippa!
This story was so funny - it made me laugh for days! It made me think about what I would do if someone took my cupcakes and I actually still don't have an answer! Good on her for dealing with it this way.
PriyaRD
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyard.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by PriyaRD »

I definitely love Aunty Theresa story. It gives a valuable lesson to everyone who read it. No wonder she is the queen of readers as well :)
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I loved aunt Theresa. She was a kind woman that had unfortunate circumstances. It's true that she could have done something about her life, but she was still a kind person and in the end that is what really counts.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I really loved Debbie and how she knew herself so well at such a young age. The whole idea of convincing yourself that you're smarter (or kinder, or braver, or anything) than you think you are and living your life accordingly has been bouncing through my head ever since I read the chapter. I've been making a concerted effort to stop limiting myself.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

Definitely Aunt Teresa. I think there was more depth and a sense a relatability in that section. I can see a lot of people found her good, too.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Mr. Lampkin was my favorite. He took such pride in his work and attention to detail. He didn’t get mad when they messed up, but always found time to teach a lesson in everything. He had a big heart and it showed.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I think it's Margaret because she made me laugh and she seemed the most "real" to me. Some of the other gurus felt too on-the-nose to be completely real. Obviously events were dramatized and dialog can't be exact, but you get my point.
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Mine was the gentleman who paid for his candy. I would absolutely have called out the young White for trying to pilfer the store clerk's goods, and in retrospect that could have been a humiliating way to try to "exact justice." The nameless hero behind Rob managed to teach him a lesson and pay for the candy without any additional expense. It seemed clever and rewarding, and reminded me not to act high and mighty for purely cathartic purposes.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 06:46 My favorite guru was little Margaret. She made me realize that life is not about me alone. It's rewarding to care about other people, too.
I agree with you. From a kid's mouth comes a great realization and it penetrates to the heart. When we forget the important people in our life, we hurt them. WE need them to succeed in life. :tiphat:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”