what myth or myths tackled in this book have been limiting your progree and success at life?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: what myth or myths tackled in this book have been limiting your progree and success at life?

Post by R-g-R »

N_R wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 18:02 I think that the myth that I had was about the personal limits and abilities. The idea that you set your own limits and that you create a glass ceiling effect for yourself.
I resonate with this too. Believe I am and can, and start acting as if that was reality.
Here’s to breaking ceilings!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Eva Darrington wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 22:39 The myth that I tend to believe is this: If you must choose between indecision and perhaps making a wrong decision—it’s right to choose indecision. I struggle with decision-making. What I know but forget is that sometimes taking action is the only way to make progress and learn new things. Indecision is stagnant.
I love your last sentence here. 'Indecision is stagnant.' I completely agree with this. Indecision doesn't help it only hurts. Even if you make a mistake, you can learn how to make decisions better, but at least you are moving and growing.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 11:26
Eva Darrington wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 22:39 The myth that I tend to believe is this: If you must choose between indecision and perhaps making a wrong decision—it’s right to choose indecision. I struggle with decision-making. What I know but forget is that sometimes taking action is the only way to make progress and learn new things. Indecision is stagnant.
I love your last sentence here. 'Indecision is stagnant.' I completely agree with this. Indecision doesn't help it only hurts. Even if you make a mistake, you can learn how to make decisions better, but at least you are moving and growing.
I like it too and I agree with it. :tiphat: Without fix decision, we cannot move to the next step or we cannot do the best things. :idea: :lol:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
benzharvey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benzharvey.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by benzharvey »

pinklover wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 21:15
AbbyGNelson wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 11:26
I like it too and I agree with it. :tiphat: Without fix decision, we cannot move to the next step or we cannot do the best things. :idea: :lol:
Wow. It seems that this book is a good book to read on. Decision-making is very hard for me as well. But, I tried to balance the best thing. Thanks for your idea.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

For me, it would be "learn to fit in - it is right & proper". I am naturally not a risk taker. I find it hard to branch out... I don't like attention. I like to work behind the scenes. I am only just beginning to learn to assert myself and be a little bit proactive. I am still very much a work in progress in this area. Most times, I feel safer just toeing the lines before me.
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

inaramid wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 00:31 The only thing I found relatable was in the chapter Toeing the Line. Growing up in a small town myself, I know how hard it is to break free from the limits imposed by both family and society. Thinking that "This is it. This is the world," is a dangerous myth that should be broken.
I agree with you on this. While society dictates, the family adapts. That is why most of the children may have been trained unconsciously to follow what the norms are. Norms and the fear of the unknown outcome mostly the reason why many think to just settle down. A myth like this will remain a myth not unless someone decided to take a different path. I personally experienced the same matter and I still struggle to break free from what is and what is not.
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

N_R wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 18:02 I think that the myth that I had was about the personal limits and abilities. The idea that you set your own limits and that you create a glass ceiling effect for yourself.
This was the same for me. I felt the same and the book tries to challenge this
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

I had a rather unconventional childhood, so most of these myths could never take hold in me, but I do see a lot of what you're all saying in the people around me. I'm glad so many of you were able to reflect on your own myths after reading this.
daratega11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daratega11.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by daratega11 »

For me, it is the myth that "cheating is sometimes the only way to beat the system and win".
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

Oh boy did I have so many misconceptions. As a high schooler, I thought you'd have to fit in with society. In my late teenage years, I believed that cynicism was wisdom and dreams were impractical. I've broken the first myth, but still struggle with the second one. When things get tough, I slip into a cloud of dark, pessimistic thoughts and have to force myself to looks for the silver lining.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

This is my limiting myth, "I know my limits; that’s just the way it is". I really don't like to be ambitious. I see it as something that drains my strength but after reflecting on it I feel there is a lot of good I have suppressed.
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

Learn to fit in and play it safe was the one I identified with most. After a while, I just couldn´t ignore that voice inside me pulling me in a different direction. Now, I run from what's comfortable and I live where I fear to live. Playing it safe is no longer an option.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

TrishKissane wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 06:40 The myth that you have to "follow in your Father's footsteps". I have recently started to realise that my upbringing and family traits/traditions will of course have impacted me but the art is to take what was positive to me and walk my own path.
I totally agree. This myth affected me too with my dad. He always wants to set a path for me (sometimes without my knowledge) and make me walk in it. However, I have learnt how to live my own life and make my own decisions.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

R-g-R wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 09:17
I resonate with this too. Believe I am and can, and start acting as if that was reality.
Here’s to breaking ceilings!
Yes! A company I used to work for had a ceo that was super into those ideas, that we set our own limitations and that we can manifest success. She set up a couple of workshops on positive thinking and stuff like that. I was always pretty skeptical of her dream boards lol but it's true that success starts with dreams. And your limitations start in your own mind too.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

What you said here is amazing, indecision is indeed stagnant. It serves few purposes other than frustrating the hell out of someone. If one takes a decision, it may well be a bad one, but at least one would know.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”