what myth or myths tackled in this book have been limiting your progree and success at life?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
PriyaRD
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyard.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Re: what myth or myths tackled in this book have been limiting your progree and success at life?

Post by PriyaRD »

I can relate my younger age to the myth "I can wish, but I'm powerless to insist". But when I grow up I learned if you are right and you have related evidence to convince others, age or the position you hold doesn't matter.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Emmanuel Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-michael.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Emmanuel Michael »

The myths tackled in stories of 'fitting in' and 'craving a lilac mint' these myths are true, because of my situation i often times say some type of things are meant for specific people in life like the rich one and some times i dont believe in my decision so i prefer to remain indecisive of some of my problems. I realised it now and i'll used what i have realised to tackle my lapses
OPgirl9122
Currently Reading: Growing Up Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by OPgirl9122 »

AliceofX wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 04:12 "Those who get the most toys and attention experience life at its richest."

I've often, even if just subconsciously, believed that grass is always greener on the other side, and some people are just given "it" that makes them lead a happy and interesting life. So why even try if you're not one of the "chosen ones." It's a downward spiral that's hard to get out of.
All the myths tackled in this book have limit my progress in life, before at some point. I had also strongly believed that "Those who get the most toys and attention experience life at its richest." But as I ponder about what my life really means. I realized all of those limits are just imaginary. Opportunities that God could grant you under His vast sky is astronomical. The endless field of grass greater than you could ever imagine, if only you learn to put your trust in Gods' plan. Truthfully, I was like the protagonist in the story. I had grown up believing that woman like me, will always and forever be destined to stay at home as a housewife(no offense). At some point, I thought that the sky is unreachable and that the ceiling of our small wooden house is the limit. Yet as soon as I realized that, indeed I am small and insignificant in comparison to this World, I had learned that all along the answer to my silent prayers is right inside my person. I had then noticed the tools that God entrusted in me; my body, my health and mental capability. And now I have proven to myself, that If you learn to utilize your own potential and do your best, then afterwards put your Trust in God's plan. Impossible heights can be reached. (Not to brag though it isn't really something grand :)...just to support my claim) Now I am a Mechanical Engineering 5th year student, my opinions are respected by the elders of our clan. I went from setting duck during clan meetings to someone who can lecture our elder family leaders, as someone who knows better. They could no longer point a finger at me saying that I am nobody and that I know nothing. Yet in the end, I found my own Margaret. Nothing. No Role in this world is more magnanimous and praise worthy than a woman/mother who take care of her own family, raise her children and be a guardian to her husbands heart. Not even becoming an Engineer could equal to how high and important this role is. For I had finally realized that the vast grass field is right within us, greater than the sky. If only we learn to be contented and focus on what really matters. Value of life? or the Dazzling diamond of trash? yet that's the irony of life, in order for one to separate trash to valuables, one needs to put itself to test. And most of the people failed to see it, as they desperately ran after the impostors of this world. Though the road called life is full twist, turns, downs and ups. The pains and victories, are the 2 faced impostor twin. Therefore, I conclude this story to be just as how my life portrayed to be. Thus I say good job to Sir White! The only thing I hope is that this story to have a more wiggly style that will attract younger minds. This story is a must read by all ages.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The myth I believed is that we tend to wait for that "special" person who is going to inspire a change in us. The many examples in the book show that there can be many people all around us waiting to teach us lessons of wisdom.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Hildah Mose wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 03:18 For me, this myth "Learn to fit in; play it safe— it’s right and proper."is the one that has limited my abilities. Trying to live up to the expectations of my family and our community.
This myth makes my struggle when I am are trying to fit but I can't. It cause different struggles and heartaches. Now, when I learned to do the things where am I fitted, I am happy for it. :tiphat: Thanks for this idea.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

N_R wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 18:02 I think that the myth that I had was about the personal limits and abilities. The idea that you set your own limits and that you create a glass ceiling effect for yourself.
This is so true. I constantly have to evaluate whether the limitations I'm facing are real or if they're self-imposed. If I think I can't do something, I don't try. Instead, I should believe that if I try hard enough, I can do anything! It's hard to re-train your brain to expand your personal limits and abilities.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

Myth make our life sometimes miserable because we believe in the things we know that it did not exist, yet we still cling to that belief. This book corrected me a lot of things.I am so much happy that somebody wrote this kind of genre.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

PriyaRD wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 01:33 I can relate my younger age to the myth "I can wish, but I'm powerless to insist". But when I grow up I learned if you are right and you have related evidence to convince others, age or the position you hold doesn't matter.
That’s a shame. I feel like, to a certain degree, I agree somewhat. It’s not that the position doesn’t matter, in my opinion though. I definitely feel like everyone should have some sort of evidence, but more in the sense that holding any position without evidence doesn’t really account for proven truths and I have a hard time with someone stating something without being able to present it as fact or have good reasons to support it.

But that doesn’t mean anyone it powerless to insist. It just means that it’s important to insist with support.
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

I relate to “impress other people to get the applause of the world.” This is reinforced in so many ways, it’s hard to remember that’s not usually the case.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

metq93 wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 20:01 I relate to “impress other people to get the applause of the world.” This is reinforced in so many ways, it’s hard to remember that’s not usually the case.
This myth is common when trying to please everyone yet we cannot please everyone. Everybody has its own positive and negative comments on the things that you think the best. So sad, but life is just like that. :(
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

The myth that I believe and have allowed to limit my progress is "Learn to fit in; play it safe— it’s right and proper".
Kenko Betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Kenko Betty »

AliceofX wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 04:12 "Those who get the most toys and attention experience life at its richest."

I've often, even if just subconsciously, believed that grass is always greener on the other side, and some people are just given "it" that makes them lead a happy and interesting life. So why even try if you're not one of the "chosen ones." It's a downward spiral that's hard to get out of.
With the above quote in mind, the myth that affected me was "only the few are selected to win". I would like to say like Robert, that wise old lady has affected my life millions of miles away from the US without even knowing. Thanks Robert, for documenting this experience.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Yaone wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 05:11 For me, the myth "I get trapped into doing the things I don't want to do".
I definitely agree with you on this one! I have found myself in similar situations, most times because I have not learned how to say no. :cry: :?
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

There are several myths in And Then I Met Margaret that I found quite relatable but I think the one which stated "What happens in my world determines how I feel" was the one that really hit home for me. I'm slowing learning how to change from that perspective to the reality Rob White discovered which is "How I respond to what happens in my world determines how I feel." I am learning how to remain positive in undesirable or disappointing situations.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

KFree_Reads wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 23:02
Yaone wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 05:11 For me, the myth "I get trapped into doing the things I don't want to do".
I definitely agree with you on this one! I have found myself in similar situations, most times because I have not learned how to say no. :cry: :?
Both of you are right. I experienced this kind of feeling as well. It is hard to say no especially when they are the people closest to your heart. Even if we don't like but for the sake of them, we are trapped. :cry:

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”